29-30 footer

Hi all, I've been reading through posts on this forum as I am considering buying a yacht around the 29-30ft mark. Could be a little smaller or a little bigger but I think this size would suit me. Based in Auckland for cruising the Gulf and Northland but looking to go further afield with it if I feel comfortable. Mainly I'll be sailing single-handed or with one or two others from time to time. I'm on a tight budget so I'm thinking $20-30,000ish with some extra put aside for upgrades and maintenance. I'm comfortable doing work on it myself and I'd prefer GRP, not wood. I'm just under 6' and would like to be able to stand up straight in the cabin. I wouldn't mind something with a shallowish draft for getting out from where I'm looking at mooring it on low tides and also tucking up in some anchorages but it's not a deal breaker. From some old threads on here and from what I have seen advertised on TradeMe I think something like a Whiting 29 or possibly a Lotus 9.2 might be suitable and potentially affordable. Others I have seen mentioned here are the Marauder 8.4, Lidgard 29 and Carpenter 29. How do they compare? Are there any other yachts that I should also put on my list to consider? 

Those you've mentioned are all good boats. Also worth thinking about a farr 9.2 or a y88. All have been for sale in the price range you mention - probably a case of looking at and maybe trying to organise a sail on a few and see what you think. Personally I'd look for the tidyiest one that's had the most love you can find as it's easy to buy a "project" and blow the budget!

Davidson 28 also good. Older design than the others mentioned and slightly older thinking in the performance and layout than the others mentioned. But I'd take a tidy d28 over a rough one of the others.

Bear in mind everything mentioned above is likely to be over 30 years old so condition can vary greatly. A new engine/sails are big expenses so try and look for one with those in good condition at least.

Thanks for the advice so far. While I love a beautiful wooden boat I don't really like the associated issues and teak decks are not on my list of positive attributes which is why I'm more focused on GRP boats. The Davidson 28 seems good but slightly dated, not off the list but not at the top at the moment. I'll keep it in mind. I hadn't considered the Young 88, probably because I had associated them more with racing. What are they like for single or short handed cruising? How weight sensitive are they and how tender? I see there's a Mk I and a Mk II. What's the difference? 

There’s an SR26 on trademe that I would put at the top of the list.

Depends what you want to do, but I like faster boats and find they teach you more than the heavier boats like D28’s etc.

Also in the winter you can race them, that makes you go out in pretty shitty weather which serves you well when it roughs up while cruising.

Also in the sub 30 ft range, outboards can be nice as diesels can be expensive to fix. Outboard craps out, you can take it off to fix and repower for a fraction of the cost of a diesel repower.

With boat prices as they are you could get into a R930 or an E 7.9 for your budget or a young 88. Lots of fun and all boats I’d pick over Easterlies or D28’s - just a generation or so newer. That’s just my view though.

Having a boat that can go into race mode means it will get used more in cooler months and that is good for boats and the soul!

• Upvote 1

Differences between Y88 Mk1 and 2 are minor. Mk2 has the cabin bulkhead 100ish mm further aft giving slightly larger galley area and better access to port quarter berth. Both come with various interior layouts, in particular the rear quarter berths, single/double can be found. Most will have the aft galley, this is desirable moreso that forward. Mk2 has an non slip that is factory done at time of build out of the mould, its a plus to some, negative to others, me personally didn't like it as it is harder to sit on and ironically, more slippery when wet.

You will always have a supply of decent 2nd hand sails as hand me down from the racing folk.

We had a Mk1 and loved it. My pick of whats currently on TM within you budget would be https://www.trademe.co.nz/1919294612

space station is a great little boat. Lots of performance and able to be cruised as well. 

The owners of space station have done a load of work on her too so she should have absolutely no issues and good sails ( one of the owners is a sailmaker). 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1955001078.htm

I have to push my boat as well. Ross 780's are a great mix of cruiser and racer, just a slight level down from the SR26. My one has loads of gear and is a great little boat. The advantage of a trailer yacht is she costs nothing to park and you can load her up at home and then go cruising. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/trailersailer/auction-1951067665.htm

I think the SR 26 and the Ross 780 look like fun but a bit smaller than I think will suit my needs as I want to do some extended cruising. The Lotus 9.2, the Young 88 and the Whiting 29 are on my list. There are a couple of other possibles but it seems fairly hard to find much information online for older NZ boats. 

I know you already stated D 28 is dated, but I have to mention Cavalier 32. Not a racer, I was considering to get one before  I purchased Topaz almost a year ago. I had similar budget. Somehow they are disappeared from Trademe. 

You mention possible shoal draft. You could probably pick up a twin keel Lotus 9.2 for those dollars. More volume than any other 30fter. You would have to pay a bit more for fin keel but a lot more performance.

They are all horses for courses. 

You mention possible shoal draft. You could probably pick up a twin keel Lotus 9.2 for those dollars. More volume than any other 30fter. You would have to pay a bit more for fin keel but a lot more performance.

They are all horses for courses. 

At this stage, it would either kept at Pine Harbour or Shelly Park and both have issues with access at low tide. Shallow draft isn't critical but it would certainly add flexibility to when I could go in and out.

I knew there were some twin keel versions made of the Lotus 9.2 and I had heard there was also a centreboard version but have never come across either for sale. I have also seen a shoal draft fin keel version but from what I understand most have the normal fin keel.

The Whiting 29 has two versions, a shallow draft masthead rig cruising version and a deeper draft version with a fractional rig although I have come across hybrid versions. 

From what I have found out so far the Young 88 has a fin keel version and it looks like some have modified fins so the draft varies and there's also a swing keel version.

They all seem to have reasonable headroom from what I can gather. 

Another feature I would like is an open or walk through transom, possibly with a sugar scoop but it's not an absolute must have.

I have seen a couple of Lotus 9.2's modified like this but it would be a bit of an undertaking to do. Some of the Whiting 29's were fitted with a sugar scoop option and a couple have been modified to walk through. Still a little bit of work but not nearly as much as the Lotus 9.2. The Young 88 already has an open transom and as I enjoy sailing I am attracted to its sailing performance. 

So, for an all-weather yacht single-handed cruising around NZ for extended periods with the possibility of having one or two inexperienced crew aboard sometimes which of these would be your preference and why?

I think the SR 26 and the Ross 780 look like fun but a bit smaller than I think will suit my needs as I want to do some extended cruising. The Lotus 9.2, the Young 88 and the Whiting 29 are on my list. There are a couple of other possibles but it seems fairly hard to find much information online for older NZ boats.

SR 26 is pretty roomy inside. Little Tardis sone of them. Good cockpit for a boom tent too. Whiting 29’s are nice boats