I wonder if this is also a nod to the wee vessel in the novel of the same name?

That one of course goes to the bottom, whereas this one does not appear likely to leave the bottom...

Gee Priscilla we do have something in common. My first boat was very similar .We found it floating in the harbour when I was about 7. Had years of fun. Could only dog paddle,no lifejackets ,buoyancy tanks, or patrol boats. Dad didn't know where we were. Gone all day in the school holidays and the experience of self reliance and doing it myself stood me in great stead. Nowadays Dad would be prosecuted for neglect !

Used to take a hacksaw to Meola dump, cut the roofs off cars turn them upside down and use those, no tar required but a calm sea was! Growing up in Pt Chev... it's a wonder I survived.

Me too, used to stash our corrugated creations at the bottom of the section in London St and carry them across the motorway evading the bridge control officers in their Landrovers.

ca737e48f1cf11b053a821ea10800b56.jpg

Watched the Nippon clip ons being installed.

auckland-harbour-bridge-5.jpg

Bit before my time shot of the preparations for the bridge build.

Saltwater pools at the base of Pt Erin.

32843694044_423953a47b_c.jpg

Saw a few like that on Taveuni when we sailed there in another life way back in the distant past. ..2017 or sumpin.

I haven't seen Rebecca for a while, I suppose the tino rawa trust still has her. I have a couple of copies of Peter Smiths book on her, and friends owned her in the 80s and 90s, she kept on blowing up on the beach and getting a mega restoration each time. The last time was a close call when she didn't quite make the milford creek a couple of years ago, something to do with one of those pesky green port markers. Lucky escape though with little or no damage that time, maybe it's a charmed life for her now.

If memory is correct she was near kaput after escaping her Okahu mooring and encountering the sea wall like many.

Skinned and saved from extinction at the Wooden Boat Workshop

1980,s.

Apparently the P Smith restoration was more a not what to do to add longevity to a classic but the book looks good on the coffee table.

C3DCD810-6CC2-4EAB-8E1F-B44D3CB55753.png

I remember that. The Woodenboat workshop was in Stanley street building Friendship. Mike Knight and Colin Davidson had Rebecca, or bought her after that beaching.