Sailors Corner closing down

Been going since 1983.

Sale starts this Saturday.

https://www.yachtingnz.org.nz/news/sailors-corner-closing-down-sale?fbclid=IwAR1dAJhMLN2DyO6CwI7IlKqkuXLGAOEob-5WVRbzQuXoUN_e5LlTyN07nYI

Wonder what will take its place?  Another marine related business I hope. 

It is sad to see all the marine businesses being forced out of Westhaven - the exact place they should be.  Why doesn't the council create a special marine business zone?  Milk and phone companies don't need to be by the sea, marine companies do!

This side of Beaumont street is Marine only, so Panuku are getting round that by renting us all out, this is only the first to go, look for travel agents accountants stock brokers etc to move in.

Bugger. Had $300 of their gift vouchers which they won't honour now.

Why not?

If you received them as prizes ask if you can buy gear at normal retail rather than the heavily discounted price.

If someone paid cash for the gift vouchers, start talking very loudly about consumer protection laws and insist on the discounted price.

NZ law doesn't work that way. Essentially a voucher holder is an unsecured creditor in the case of liquidation.

Liquidator could be nice and honor anyway but a phonecall to SC this arvo suggests they are not.

Ahhh I see, I missed the bit about the liquidator.

Aust law is worse re gift vouchers... Some places put an expiry date on a gift voucher that someone has paid money for. If you don't use it, they keep the cash!

Im surprised they lasted as long as they did. Bad service, high prices, no online presence.

All true...awful awful awful website Sailors Corner...well it was last time I looked, they may not even have one now. 

However , as far as physical presence as opposed to online - this now means Burnsco (assuming increased rent doesn't force them out too) has a monopoly on chandlers down at Westhaven....well, there is Fosters which are (stupidly in my opinion) not open on weekends, and are a bit more niche as Chandlers go - so, Burnsco it is for weekend warriors (the majority of Westhaven berth holders i'd say), and watch their already exorbitant prices rise further.  Your chinese boaty products will cost you more than ever!

By the way - I see Transpacific Marine chart shop have also moved out and gone over the shore. 

Part of the Westhaven plan calls for shops, including a chandlery, in the parking area west of the marina offices (or so I was told during this year's Marina Day). That would be good, because I expect Burnsco and the others in that complex to be replaced by condos soon. But we shall see.

Im surprised they lasted as long as they did. Bad service, high prices, no online presence.

Yes the few times I went in there I was not impressed. Im tempted to go have a look tomorrow, but unless there is a real bargain....

Yes the few times I went in there I was not impressed. Im tempted to go have a look tomorrow, but unless there is a real bargain....

Don't go looking at their website to see what closing down "bargains" are on offer....I finally went to have a look:

Screen Shot 2019-04-06 at 6.14.29 AM.png

So it all comes back to the evil beast known as Panuku, a two bit organisation invented by a bunch of morons that are supposed to work for the "people" i.e us, but have instead created a monstrosity that must constantly be pulled back in to line.

I can't think  of an organization I detest more.  But thats good news KM that people are working hard to try give back to the public what the public rightfully own.

• Upvote 1

Burnsco is not all bad, they do have a few specials and it’s handy to be able to sail up to somewhere like half moon bay or gulf harbour when you are cruising if you really need 3 screws even if it costs you $5 . Lots of online options if you are not in a rush and want to shop around. I have recently been getting emails from someone called five oceans from the states which has some better prices.i think they are part of baron USA where I got a very good price on a raymarine tiller pilot.

I went into SC a couple of months back looking for a gas detector. Friendly young salesman had never heard of a gas detector. I ended up finding them in the store and educating him as to what they were.

Burnsco had a better range, staff who were able to tell me a bit about them, and better prices.

Would not be surprised that new lease conditions and rent increases would be the main driver for SC folding.

Panuku have never done any favours to local marine businesses in the area whilst handing a 125 year lease to Australian investors to develop Lot 18.

I am a frequent customer of AES and parking is practically non existent which as a business must be frustrating.

ASB will most probably end up on Lime scooters as their relocated parking now disappears and how did they get a permit for the new headquarters without providing adequate parking from the get go.

Just been. Didn't think much of the specials. Spinlock tether sale price at SC was $110. Burnsco club price is $110 24/7.

Spinlock discounts weren't great at all, tiller extension down from $500 to $456. On the shelf at Burnsco $399.

• Upvote 1

I popped in this morning early, looking for good deals. It was packed. Looked, realised prices were not actually clearance prices, but barely even ‘on special’ prices. Left quickly.