UK Yacht Registration

It seems like Brexit may have brought about a change and now all Commonwealth citizens can register yachts on the UK Ship Register under Part 1. It costs £153 to register for 5 years plus you'll require a certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement. If you're in the UK, the RYA will do a tonnage survey for £145.00 up to 15m and £185.00 over 15m. Don't know about tonnage survey costs elsewhere.

The Merchant Shipping (Registration of Ships) (Amendment) (EU Exit) Regulations 2019.pdf

Always worth it to check out what you are actually being charged for when it comes to vessel registration.

When we bought the canal boat in Holland the Dutch equivalent of the RYA wanted to charge us €360 to register the vessel. Thankfully the wife is a Dutch speaker and after a little time on the internet figured out that she could do the job herself and cut out the middle man, which she did. Total cost €32.

It seems like Brexit may have brought about a change and now all Commonwealth citizens can register yachts on the UK Ship Register under Part 1. It costs £153 to register for 5 years plus you'll require a certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement. If you're in the UK, the RYA will do a tonnage survey for £145.00 up to 15m and £185.00 over 15m. Don't know about tonnage survey costs elsewhere.

I was going to register UK Part 1 by "selling" 64/64 shares of my vessel to a company I was going to open in UK, with me being sole director/shareholder.  That is the way around it - I actually phoned them up in Cardiff a month or so ago and asked.

However, reading that link, once Brexit happens, seems like just being a Commonwealth citizen will be enough, and I won't have to spend the extra money opening up a UK company.

Will still have to pay for a tonnage survey - but that will be a one off cost.

Good show I say jolly old chap -- roll on Brexit!

The current application form lists commonwealth citizens as qualified owners.

Hey yeah...seems like Commonwealth Citizens already qualify...hmmm

Edit:  I think that is a recent change -- i.e I think they've made the change to add in Commonwealth citizens despite Brexit not being yet "official".  

Edit again:  I am correct.  https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/owner-eligibility-to-register-merchant-or-pleasure-vessel-msf-4727

Click on updates, i.e:  "Last updated 29 March 2019 + show all updates"

and you will find this:

29 March 2019

The eligibility criteria on the declaration form has been updated

There are two types of tonnage survey - the 'International Tonnage Certificate" for boats over 24m, and the "Certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement" for boats less than 24m, which will be the norm for pleasure vessels like ours.

As to the cost, I was given an estimate for $600 for a 26 footer a couple years ago, but didn't get round to getting it done.  There are various Surveyors in NZ that will do a tonnage survey, just have to google around for one near you.  My understanding is that it can all be done on the water too.

the survey part of the requirements read:

"All new registrations regardless of the size of the vessel will require a UK certificate of survey for tonnage and measurement issued with a 12 month period of the application to register. The survey must be completed by a surveyor from a class/certifying authority."

Can anyone advise if this is doable in NZ?  And who to use?  I've done some googling and not being an expert in this field, it is a little confusing.

Harry Jorgensen Marine can do the cert. $500 plus travel and gst. There may be an additional charge from IIMS of around 120 pounds which is the authorised issuer he is a member of. The certificate is a one off charge unless you make changes to the boat.

So have I got this right.... I could get a tonnage survey ($500 odd), pay £153 and i’m good to go to Fiji?

If so why would anyone pay MNZ and go through CAT 1?

Any down side to doing this?

You may to pay VAT if you ever sail to the  British Isles.

From what I read in the Declaration of Eligibility document from MCA, you still need to provide a UK based person to be a ships representative, not a biggie would've thought....

1014713022.jpg

The same situation as for Jersey registration but Jersey charges £440 for a 10 yr registration. On the plus side, it is VAT free for temporary importation in the UK & EU. There are also a number of people/businesses in Jersey that offer personal representation services for a fee. 

From what I read in the Declaration of Eligibility document from MCA, you still need to provide a UK based person to be a ships representative, not a biggie would've thought....

1014713022.jpg

No you are not reading it right.  

The above is all totally irrelevant now that Uk ship registry accepts commonwealth citizens.

What those boxes of spiel are referring to is if you are not full owner of the yacht, or - if (pre commonwealth change) you "sold" 64/64 shares to a company you opened in the UK with a registered address in the UK - that's the bit that says "or a body corporate which has a place of business in the UK" - which can be done by paying 40 or 50 Pounds sterling online to one of a score of outfits that will open a uk company (aka "BOdy Corporate) for you.