Getting a GBE to Cat 3

"Was used in anger a number of times, most memorably a singlehanded blast back from kawau while as hung over as f&ck. Think it was 1 hour 15 mins from bee hive to north head? Actually, i must have a photo, a crew.org guy took some as i went past. I’ll try and find".

I remember that, I was parked in Torpedo Bay with a broken rudder waiting for the 40kt + westerly to ease, when you sailed past. Looked a good rig for those conditions. 

Wont forget that day. Easy 25 knots on the start, fractional kite up. Wind got up, sending it through a small gap between the wharfs and a container ship. Couldnt slow down or go forward to drop untill behind the container terminals. Pumped and like so far ahead of the fleet. We didnt reef to second reef because we didnt have the inner forestay set up properly and had the lecture form the inspector. Bare headed, so overpowered, couldnt reach, only point upwind or smoke down wind to Narrowneck. Now blowing 40+ which wasnt in the forecast at all. Attitude passed as per pic above, we tacked rather than gybed and busted the top slides on the main. 

Race over, limp acrross to Okahu Bay under gib only. Couldnt go upwind.tried motoring but then the prop bushes burned out. Managed to reverse into Okahu Marina and waited for hours until the wind dropped.

I recomend a cat three inspection from Tim Clissold.

That's a pretty convincing argument for the inner forestay. 

Just out of interest, if you dropped the main when trying to make progress in 40 knots and sail with the heavy weather jib only, would a GBE be controllable both upwind and downwind? and would you still get the inverted bend in the mast from the heavy weather jib pulling the crap out of the normal forestay? (assuming you didn't have an inner forestay)

Mast supported by the sidestays, so no issues under jib only mast wise.

Downwind no issues.

Upwind would be damn near possible to point as bow keeps getting blown off and a tack would be impossible id say. Light boat, lots of windage, not much sail.

Ive done 14 knots in flat water with a storm jib only (broad reaching)

a certain light-weight multi guru friend of mine keeps commenting that the rig on capricorn has far too much windage, stays + diamonds, for such a short rig

i always tell him

it's a trimaran with more beam than the designer recommended

and a square-head so fat, the sail's almost rectangular

it doesn't lie down to dump invisible monster gusts

it just spits the rig off

after 2 normalish rigs exited stage right

belts + braces has stayed the course

gallery_1988_37_775351.jpg

am hoping the fwd diamond

takes the place of an inner forestay..

I hope the outer diamonds are fixed to the spreader tips. It is not unusual to overlook this important detail. It does not replace an inner forestay but is important anyway.

The actual staying does not look overdone to me but there is a lot of other things adding clutter and drag. Lazyjacks, halyards etc, some of which will be out of the way when sailing.

/Martin