This walkway seems more of a health hazard than anything else.

The air quality will be so atrocious at peak hours oxygen relief stations will be required.

Are we the only city that puts pedestrians smack next to motorways.

No sign of progress with the Skypath as the wrangle over $1.6 mil intellectual property rights continues

86FB3808-B3E0-42BF-8F00-1A10F119DA88.jpeg

Well skypath is history. After all these years they found out they can't build it

Skypath grounded: Auckland Harbour Bridge may never get a cycleway

by Simon Wilson, nzherald.co.nz

The plan to build a cycling and walking path over the Auckland Harbour Bridge, popularly known as Skypath, has run into "significant and complex engineering issues". The Herald understands the current design will be scrapped.

Other options are being considered but these are likely to involve substantial delays.

No wonder. About 20 tears ago an ex Transit engineer told me to not drive on the Nippon Clip ons. Once the Greenies get cars banned there will be the biggest waikways and cycleways  available you can imagine. Methinks the Harbour Bridge has reached its limit ?

11 minutes ago, armchairadmiral said:

No wonder. About 20 tears ago an ex Transit engineer told me to not drive on the Nippon Clip ons. Once the Greenies get cars banned there will be the biggest waikways and cycleways  available you can imagine. Methinks the Harbour Bridge has reached its limit ?

There is talk of placing time limits for heavy vehicle use as the bridge has reached capacity.

Yes nothing has changed QS and engineer reports from years ago pointed out the substantial issues with this thing, I was told not in my lifetime, then they got quotes for a Carbon one from a boatbuilder to lighten it but still no go. 

But it's a shovel ready project. Jacinda said so and she never lies 

I laughed at the part about hanging it off the concrete pillars that support the whole bridge. Anyone that has done the bridge walk knows that the bridge is steel from just above the water. The concrete pillars do nothing 

• Upvote 2
On 12/04/2019 at 4:16 PM, Priscilla II said:

Are we the only city that puts pedestrians smack next to motorways.

Well, I dunno, but the bike/walking path on the San Fran Golden Gate bridge is stunningly beautiful. 

Actually, when I did it during the 2013 AC I bumped into some Kiwis, they were easy to spot with 

those silver ferns on the bike bags. I kiddingly asked the bloke which of the New Zealand teams he 

was with - but all he said was "We are the real Kiwis!!" 

image.jpeg.25500a52ee2c4e066d9fd63b8900bd60.jpeg

Why the the powers that be didn't do a right turn and head north at the bottom of the Victoria St tunnel go under the Harbour and exit between the motorway and Barry's Point Road is beyond me.

We do have some PC bureaucratic dickwads that exhibit such short term thinking its criminal. Quick put a band aid on it and declare the problem fixed, nobody will notice.

We need infrastructure designed for 20 years not 5 and the dumbnuts that think we will all be electric soon,  where are we going to get the power required to charge a nation of electric cars. Oopsie we haven't addressed that infrastructure requirement yet have we.

4 hours ago, Rats said:

We need infrastructure designed for 20 years not 5 and the dumbnuts that think we will all be electric soon,  where are we going to get the power required to charge a nation of electric cars. Oopsie we haven't addressed that infrastructure requirement yet have we.

Easy, just shut down Tewai Pt. Screw Southland, we need our smug mobiles.

Other than that, yes, infrastructure planning does need to extend past election cycles.

29 minutes ago, KM... said:

Ah yes of course. On the door step of the new massive apartment complex going in where that happy clappy church currently is maybe????

But then it is in a logical spot for a tunnel to exit so that would suggest it won't come out there :)

No, the ground is worse than shithouse through there. From a geotechnical point of view, that is the worst place to put a tunnel. Nothing but mud and peaty swampy sh*t.

I like the idea of coming straight out of Waterview and across the Harbour. That would work. Fair few houses to bowl on the NS side though, to join with the M way again. Could get expensive.

49 minutes ago, Fish said:

No, the ground is worse than shithouse through there. From a geotechnical point of view, that is the worst place to put a tunnel. Nothing but mud and peaty swampy sh*t.

I like the idea of coming straight out of Waterview and across the Harbour. That would work. Fair few houses to bowl on the NS side though, to join with the M way again. Could get expensive.

And there lies another problem. The current 3 lane system cannot cope with the bridge traffic.

Maybe but adding a second crossing that uses spaghetti junction and northern motorway to Albany isn't going to work either.

The sou-western should have carried on down rosscomon, across weymouth, Pukekohe, tuakau, coming out at pokeno

The eastern ring road should go across orakie, glen Innes, botany, alfriston, back of papkura, coming in at Ramarama.

If another bridge using the same approaches as the existing bridge is all they can do then they should double stack the motorways like they do in the USA and England

Sadly none of this will ever happen.

I'll be selling a central city house in a few years.........

Tunnel all the way to Albany and Yes the ring rd should of gone ahead.Just saw on the News the Hamilton express train.3 hrs Frankton to Cbd or there abouts until theres a fault on electrication system $17 one way?

30 minutes ago, harrytom said:

Just saw on the News the Hamilton express train.3 hrs Frankton to Cbd or there abouts until theres a fault on electrication system $17 one way?

Consider it a proof of concept.

It needs to be faster, on wider spaced rails for sure, terminate in downtown Auckland or close by, and ideally have links to the Bay of Plenty, Auckland Airport, and the North Shore.

Even longer term, medium speed rail to Wellington.  True high speed (TGV, Shinkansen 250-300kph) is too expensive for our population, but a train that could cruise at 150 - 170 kph makes the trip AKL-WLG approximately 4.5 hour passage.  Flying is around 2.5 hours if things go well... 

INVESTIGATION: Is it possible to commute from Hamilton to Auckland using the new $92m Te Huia train service?

4:30am: You wake up to your blaring alarm in the suburbs of Hamilton. Your day is already off to a bad start.

5:30am: Your commute begins. You drive to the Frankton train station.

5:46am: You board the train in the nick of time. The carriage is empty. Thanks to a massive taxpayer subsidy, your fare is only $17.

7:25am: You arrive in Papakura, after 98 minutes on the train. That’s more than enough time to watch the 1996 Ewan McGregor classic Trainspotting. But your commute is not over.

7:36am: You transfer onto Auckland Transport’s Southern Line. Hopefully you’ve got a HOP card! Your fare is $6.80.

8:43am: You arrive at Britomart station 67 minutes later. That’s enough time to watch 12 episodes of Thomas the Tank Engine.

9am: Three and a half hours after you left home, you arrive at the office. You receive a formal warning for being half an hour late to work.

You don’t arrive home in Hamilton until 8:15pm. Your total commute was seven hours. You spent $47.60. By the end of the week, that adds up to 35 hours, costing $238 – the same amount you pay in rent. Taking into account the taxpayers’ contribution, the real cost is over $1,000.

9pm: You crawl into bed after a microwave dinner. You are sad, you are poor, and you are so, so tired.

CONCLUSION: Anything is possible if you hate yourself.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

The problem with Auckland and the surrounding regions is that too many people live too far away from their place of work. This struck me when I moved here 20yrs ago and met people living on the north shore who worked (and commuted) to East Tamaki for example. WTF?! Where I came from nobody in their right mind would live north of London and commute daily through the city to work south. And this is even proven by traffic flows. Apparently if you take a helicopter view of the morning and evening rush hours in Auckland central it is very difficult to tell which pic is which - which is almost unique globally.

When I lived at GH I loved the ferry into the city even though it was lamentably infrequent back then. These days it’s much better. But I wondered why there wasn’t a network of water taxis running up & down the north shore into the city too.

Maybe we need to find a way to encourage shorter commuting alongside infrastructure?

• Like 1