Charging Tablets and Smartphones onboard

I have found my tablet (Samsung S2) reluctant to be recharged onboard.

Have a dual USB socket rated at 5V/2.5A but this is extremely slow.

Had another USB socket (charges the Iridium GO) rated at 3A, really was not different.

The AC charging Adaptor puts out 5V/2A.

I am told the Tablet and phone batteries are quite sensitive to charging rates.

Any thoughts on best approach, especially to avoid battery damage

I'm afraid I have no advise for you but have the same experience of slow charging of devices on the ships 12v supply even though the output to the device (5v,2a) is theoretically the same as what cones out of the charger when plugged into a 240v supply.

I have endlessly raised thus issue with various tech guys and although they are aware of the problem they are not able to offer any solutions. Ì get around the charging issue on board by charging phones and tablets via the smaller of our two inverters which delivers normal recharge times.

Have had the same issues. We carry various devices that require charging between work phones, personal phones, iPads etc. Some work fine, some have issues.

My take is that the USB socket chargers have been made for cars and therefore designed to produce 5v 2a or so when the car is operating (engine on and alternator running) and supplying the charger with 14.4v. On the boat we're often not running the engine, so the charger is only being supplied with 12.4v or so

Best way to deal with it seems to be to coincide charging the sensitive devices with running the engine.

The answer to fast charging using USB adapters is not necessarily a simple one.  There are multiple standards and a bunch of proprietary implementations.  The device must request fast charge, the cable needs to support fast charging and the USB port adapter must be capable of fast charging.  The older USB standards only allowed 500mA max current without fast charging.  This moved to 900mA with a later update.

There is a good document here

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/115251-how-usb-charging-works-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

It didn't help that earlier Android and Apple devices used a different mechanism to signal fast charge capability.

Used to lie in my bunk at anchor and via my mobile as a router buy stuff on my ipad from Trademe and arrive home to have the said goodies awaiting.

Two mobiles two tablets they sure eat a bit of juice then you chuck in the two grand kids and their devices.

Crikey I was so glad I sold the kids to fund the marina berth but I do miss my Pussy.

Last week ventured out for a few nights left them devices all behind old school style, read book, slept, had great sex, rowed about grockled and swam with dolphins.

Batteries had a well earned holiday.

Get a decent charger and cable, like this for an ipad

https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Metallic-Mixit-12W-2-4Amp/dp/B07FSPVX2Q?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B07FSPVX2Q

I charge my ipad, Andriod phone, smartwatch all aboard from 12 v, no difference in charge speed from home.