Sailors rescued from life raft after yacht sinks near Whitianga

I don't think it sounds like the rigging screw failing.  On a lot of those Euro production boats the lower end of the rigging is connected to a rod that connects to the hull behind the saloon seats.  "A steel rod connecting a metal plate at the base of the mast to the boat's superstructure snapped"  sounds to me as though they had a failure in that rod, or more likely one of the ends.  This would be backed up by their fix of running a line under the hull.  If a rigging screw had failed their fix would have used the existing chainplate/rod.

This would also explain why a rig inspection would not have picked up an issue with the connecting rod - it would be a reasonable expectation that this part of the rig was fine, and you most likely couldn't inspect it unless you pulled the entire assembly out.

Yeah for sure it doesn't sound like a rigging screw and your suggestion makes more sense than the mast post. Scary stuff. That same thing happened to a local race boat a few years back. it was messy....

Anyone know what happened to the boat ?

Asking because I have a very good view from home from the needles right through to poor knights and there has been what looks like a yacht with half a mast sitting/drifting about 10 miles out from kauri mountain all morning .

It’s not a great day for fishing and where it’s at is not a great fishing spot and wind is 15-20 NE

Anyone know what happened to the boat ?

Asking because I have a very good view from home from the needles right through to poor knights and there has been what looks like a yacht with half a mast sitting/drifting about 10 miles out from kauri mountain all morning .

It’s not a great day for fishing and where it’s at is not a great fishing spot and wind is 15-20 NE

huh. seems a little unlikely that she could get there from 60 nm east of barrier, but i suppose it's possible.

She should be on ais if she is still floating. I looked at the online ship tracker a couple of days ago and there was a pleasure craft around the reported position east of GBI. The free tracker version wouldn’t give vessel name though

Unless AIS is transmitted by the VHF aerial, and that was on top of the mast (passed tense)

I haven't really followed the story but having heard a recount of the boats recovery I am left wondering why they got off it.

Always a good choice made by those getting off...