Offshore and back, Cat 1 yeh? Nah?

Swirly World / Andy Fagan went to Sunday Island (Roul) and back just cause he could. No nothing. He just liked sailing his boat.

He also did a few of the Sub Antartic islands same way. think they might have tightened up some of the bio security requirements of the offshore islands as wildlife reserves etc, but you don't need cat 1 or a passport.

• Upvote 1

Swirly worlds trips are impressive!

So the passport thing is just for landing in foreign countries and the Cat 1 piggy backs on that for our own safety? I’m not against any of it, just trying to understand it.

We were wondering this for Minerva reef while stuck there for 10 days in May.

Officially claimed by Tonga but no shore to go ashore on. Could you sail there and sail back to Nz without checking in/out?

^

theoretically yes

the tongans may claim it

but without a manned presence

who's to say you were ever there?

you'd probably not want to broadcast your achievement on facebook.. 

We were wondering this for Minerva reef while stuck there for 10 days in May.

Officially claimed by Tonga but no shore to go ashore on. Could you sail there and sail back to Nz without checking in/out?

You can go ashore there but only when the tide is low :-)

Minerva reef is unreal, been there 4 times now and we were there 3 weeks ago or so.

People I've spoken to say there are regs to prevent a trip there and back without clearance. You might still get away with the ole blown offshore and had to fix something trick. Or not.

I know it's not relevant to the wanganella banks trip but this fixation on cat one is silly.

Cat 1 is a doddle, you should have everything thats required anyway. Do you know what you're doing? Then you're going to get cat 1. Contact an inspector, develop a working relationship so he knows that you do know what you're doing, voila.

You want to know stress? Try insuring your boat for offshore, f $#@^*/) nightmare.

• Upvote 1

i've got friends who spent 6 weeks there, unless an Orion flies over (Minerva, as they do) who's to know?

There was an Aussie that sailed around the world non stop, and was given a hard time by Aussie authorities, who didn't believe him when he sailed into his home port without checking out or in. I believe that once he proved he hadn't stopped anywhere they eased up.

Special permission must be granted by Customs New Zealand (external site) to enter the waters or stop at the Kermadecs when travelling from overseas to or from New Zealand. The requirement is that you travel directly from one customs clearance port to another customs clearance port.

Interesting, but this wording indicates the requirement only applies if you are going to or coming from somewhere else and want to stop in as you go past.

Special permission must be granted by Customs New Zealand (external site) to enter the waters or stop at the Kermadecs when travelling from overseas to or from New Zealand. The requirement is that you travel directly from one customs clearance port to another customs clearance port.

I would assume that that permission is only required if you plan to sail within the 12mile limit, otherwise any "ship" entering the 200 mile economic zone would have to comply, which would be against the freedom of navigation rights of all shipping. Isn't America currently testing this right in the South China sea??