We need help in protecting Great Barrier Island.

Which way does the East Auckland current flow?

SE down the coast towards E Cape when it bends E meets the Chatham Rise and then heads offshore. At about 0.5 kts.

when its "dumped" it has to fall through the water column, so I would imagine a lot of the fines would take a long time to settle, bad news for Cuvier

Haha this is comical!

Once again I say “Read the report”. Your water column question and dispersal rates are covered in there.

I reckon about 50% of the questions or assumptions in this entire thread could be answered if people read the thing!

• Upvote 1

Where did you get that factual information from. Can you quote your source please?

It seems to be contrary to the NIWA north Island tidal flows observed in the URL link provide by SloopJohnB  post #123

https://www.niwa.co.nz/our-science/coasts/research-projects/all/physical-hazards-affecting-coastal-margins-and-the-continental-shelf/news/northis

Zoom to 300% - 400% and the tide flows out across Colville channel some distance then curves SE for a very short distance then back again on the incoming tide around Port Jackson and down the west coast Coromandel peninsular and back again on the out going tide.

That would be because tidal flows are not ocean currents....

SloopJohnB's link is to a tidal model, i.e. a computer prediction. It doesn't even reference ocean currents. Tides are driven by the moon, ocean currents by prevailing winds and the correloius effect. They are completely different. I would have thought any competent sailor would know that...

The East Auckland Current is a known and well establish ocean current. Closely related to the East Australian Current (The EAC), if you need a reference for that, refer to the movie, 'Finding Nemo...'

Where did you get that factual information from. Can you quote your source please?

It seems to be contrary to the NIWA north Island tidal flows observed in the URL link provide by SloopJohnB  post #123

https://www.niwa.co.nz/our-science/coasts/research-projects/all/physical-hazards-affecting-coastal-margins-and-the-continental-shelf/news/northis

Zoom to 300% - 400% and the tide flows out across Colville channel some distance then curves SE for a very short distance then back again on the incoming tide around Port Jackson and down the west coast Coromandel peninsular and back again on the out going tide.

https://teara.govt.nz/en/ocean-currents-and-tides/page-1

• Upvote 1

69. The IA7 provides information on marine mammal species that could be found within the NDA. The presence of marine mammals within the NDA and surrounding area is further discussed within the evidence of Dr Childerhouse, which identifies 30 species are recorded in the DOC Marine Mammal Database within 100km of the NDA (Childerhouse evidence Appendix B). 70. The marine mammals potentially found in the NDA include common dolphins, bottlenose dolphins, orca, Bryde’s whales, blue whales, fin whales and humpback whales. 71. Dr Childerhouse further comments that, in his view, it is unlikely that the NDA represents an important area for any marine mammal species, based on an assessment of biological and ecological factors.

2. Professor Jeffs in his evidence on behalf of the Auckland Conservation Board notes that the HGMP, through which vessels transit en-route to the NDA, is internationally significant as an area of extremely high marine mammal diversity and abundance, with 33 species of marine mammals observed in the Gulf, 25 species (nearly a third of the world's marine mammal species) that visit annually, and at least six resident species. 73. The Joint Statement of Experts in the Field of Marine Mammals dated 21 November 2018 (JWS Mammals), states that marine mammals occupy relatively large ranges of which the NDA is only a small part.

2 conflicting reports??

94. The submission of Sanford Ltd and Cedenco Foods NZ Ltd identifies their commercial interests in aquaculture (mussel farming and processing). Sanford has marine farms sited down-current / downwind of the NDA that they consider could, over time, be affected by CRL’s proposed dumping activity via cumulative effects from increased sedimentation in the water column, heavy metals and elevated risk of biosecurity.

Now are we prepared to damage a lucrative export market??

Noted that dredging must by mechanical means and not suction,does this mean when dredging they allowing any heavy metals which maybe present to be dispersed around the Waitamata harbour?

• Upvote 1

. I would have thought any competent sailor would know that...

Jeez fish, I never thought I'd be defending Rehab (mostly because the posts drive me nuts -  the formatting I just can't get passed and the content I often cannot follow) but can't you bury the hatchet somewhere else?

• Upvote 1

Jeez fish, I never thought I'd be defending Rehab (mostly because the posts drive me nuts -  the formatting I just can't get passed and the content I often cannot follow) but can't you bury the hatchet somewhere else?

I don't think its appropriate that someone who doesn't understand the difference between tides and currents demands that Aleana provide references for his posts. Aleana has been considered, polite and logical in his postings throughout this thread, despite some vocal opposition to his point of view, and shouldn't need to provide references for everything.

So, thank you for your feedback Romany, but I will reply as I see fit.

Harrytom can you be more specific. Location named area of mussel farms. The green dot on the map I interpreted nearly opposite Colville channel.

just from I read in the report,as far as I am aware the farms have been removed from the eastern side Corromandel,I am picking sanfords concren is that it may travel(sediment)down the western side in to the firth

Hence why there is no marina to go in to the corromandel harbour as they do not want to disturb the heavy heavy metals from the gold mining days,the mud contains mercury,arsenic etc.

2.2.3 Other Potential Interests

94. The submission of Sanford Ltd and Cedenco Foods NZ Ltd identifies their commercial interests in aquaculture (mussel farming and processing). Sanford has marine farms sited down-current / downwind of the NDA that they consider could, over time, be affected by CRL’s proposed dumping activity via cumulative effects from increased sedimentation in the water column, heavy metals and elevated risk of biosecurity.

• Upvote 1

4.2.4 Biosecurity

201. The IA described the invasive species relevant to the operations and, in response to a request for advice under section 56 of the Act, MPI confirmed the listed invasive species were those relevant to the Auckland region. 

Mediterranean Fan Worm Sabella spallanzanii  Bryozoan Watersipora arcuate  Asian paddle carb Charybdis japonica  Australian drop tunicate Eudistoma elongatum  Clubbed sea squirt Styela clava  Asian date mussel Arxuatula senhousia  Pacific oyster Crassostrea gigas  Bivalve Theora lubrica

202. A number of the submissions in opposition made reference to an increased biosecurity risk associated with the increased volumes of dredged material to be dumped. For example, the Aotea / Great Barrier Local Boards submission stated: We object to the increased bio-security risks. Our islands and waters are largely pest free and the dredged material comes from highly infested locations. The measures to prevent infestation do not adequately provide safeguards of catastrophic risks for the environment.

204. The Key Issues Report32 records:

In general, adult individuals of the species of concern are expected to either be destroyed during the dredging operations, or if they survive, not be able to establish themselves at the site. The most likely potential for spread is therefore considered to be the release of larvae or propagules. The relevant invasive species have varying number of days that their larvae can survive in the open water column before settling, ranging from less than one day, to several weeks …

So with Northland Marinas etc insisting that vessels from Auckland to Northland have a clean bill of health,here we have the opposite,allowing the dumping of mud which may or not contain the above and risk infecting our outer lying islands.

As a guess there must be a lot of back room deals being made with wads of cash being passed over.

• Upvote 1

The report is very hard going but worth a read as its full of he said she said maybe it will maybe it wont.

You would think with recent discussions by Governments local/National and various web sites,climate change rising sea levels plastic pollution carbon foot prints. One would  be more concerned about messing with our marine environment but money rules !

• Upvote 1

I would not use any movie as a absolute reference source only some documentaries hesitantly, even they need cross reference and peer reviews.

You are obviously very thorough. Don't leave anything to chance, dot the i's and cross the t's. Good for you :-)

Probably true and very sad thing. Marine environment, could also come under the term marine conservation? The minister for the environment at the moment is not concerned or has more important things on his agenda.

Thank you,you have just prompted me to email Eugenie Sage Minister for the environment to ask relative questions. Have met her once and must admit she said all the right things,but dont they all?

Kia ora

On behalf of Hon Eugenie Sage, Minister of Conservation, Minister for Land Information and Associate Minister for the Environment, many thanks for your email.

The Minister considers all correspondence to be important and thanks you personally for taking the time to write. While all correspondence is received by the Minister it is not always possible to provide a personal response to every email which is received.

If you are inviting the Minister to attend an event or a meeting, our office will be in touch shortly.

Many thanks again for taking the time to write to Hon Eugenie Sage.

Kind regards,

Office of Hon Eugenie Sage

Minister of Conservation | Minister for Land Information | Associate Minister for the Environment

6R Bowen House, Parliament Buildings | Private Bag 18041 | Wellington 6160 | New Zealand

E: e.sage@ministers.govt.nz 

now to play the waiting game.
  • Upvote 1

But isn't that what all the criticisms, belittling are all about on this thread by Aleana, others and yourself.

No, I don't think so.

I was paying you a complement with that post. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Something that WE should keep in mine, is that WE as in the collective boaty types, want marinas for our boats. In the past did not pay a lot of attention to where the dregings went and around the Auckland and Coromandel  they all went to the same area.

Including all the stuff from Sandspit. 2 years ago.

Hmm, why should Aleana do that? He's already located, read and referenced the doc. Its a PDF. It has search abilities. its on page 27 of the document page numbers, page 16 of the PDF. Took about 45 secs to find it....

150. The evidence of Mr Andrews12 then described the material’s behavior once released into the water column. In summary, it forms a dense plume of which the majority of the material descends to the sea floor within 500 m of the dump location (near-field dispersal) in approximately 180 seconds. Up to 5% of the fine sediment material is ‘stripped’ and carried out towards the boundary of the NDA and potentially beyond (far-field dispersal). The primary drivers for suspended sediment movement are currents and tidal flows.

151. With regard to the suspended sediment plume, in the JWS Oceanography 13 the Oceanography experts agreed on the mechanics and phases of the plume as described by Mr Andrews, that the majority of the dumped material would be deposited directly to the seabed with a portion being ‘stripped’ and exposed to far-field dispersion. Additionally, once the material was deposited on the seabed, experts agreed that any resuspension of that material would likely be negligible.

152. With respect to the far-field dispersal, when considering the outputs from the sediment plume model, the Oceanography experts agreed14 the model outputs represented averages and the far-field values were in fact below the threshold values for plotting dispersion and sedimentation rates being, 0.1mg/L and 1mm respectively. We note that there was some disagreement between the experts as to the need for suspended sediment concentration monitoring, which is discussed further below. 

Something that WE should keep in mine, is that WE as in the collective boaty types, want marinas for our boats. In the past did not pay a lot of attention to where the dregings went and around the Auckland and Coromandel  they all went to the same area.

Including all the stuff from Sandspit. 2 years ago.

When Sandspit Marina was initially conceived one of the members offered a valley on his farm which bordered the Sandspit estuary as a place to dump the dredged material. However this was opposed by the local NIMBYists, who were determined to block the marina at all costs. The dredged material was then offered for the Fergusson wharf expansion however POA wanted to impose all sorts of conditions and to be paid to take it. So the only option was for the dredged material to be taken to the dumping ground out to the east of Gt Barrier. 

Of note is that dredged material on the current Mahurangi River restoration programme is being disposed of on land

• Upvote 2

Of note is that dredged material on the current Mahurangi River restoration programme is being disposed of on land

I am aware that that was the proposal and indeed i believe that did happen. However I have been staying in the Mahurangi lately and have observed the barge leaving the harbour daily in the morn and returning in the afternoon.

Roughly 10 hour trip about the time it would take to go? Pushing a barge.