Crew.org Marine only Forums

I guess everyone uses the site differently

I’m finding this great as all I do when I go on the site is click on “View new content”

So now I don’t need to sort through the twoddle

• Upvote 2

You want him to remove the thing that pays the bills? ????

You seem to think if IT removes adds of currently paying advertisers, with products relevant to site users, that what, there’s a waiting list of others to throw money at him / crew.org? ????

More members will join because the advertising is irrelevant to boating? ????

Some of the suggestions, assumptions and correlations you make are quite left field.

Island time. While you are at it may I suggest that all boating advertising is not shown on small talk threads. It states "anything that is not boating related." I get sick off seeing boating advertising to the point I'm almost boating advertising blind and I think you will find you will get non boating related advertising on the site and probably more members joining, especially since the face book revelations . It is the only free website in the southern hemisphere with forums which included non boating threads. The other website is cruiser log which captures most of the worlds cruisers / boating owners, crew wanted and crew available for world sail / motor vessel ocean cruising, has a large Australian boating following.

This definitely needs to go to smalltalk now...

Jokes aside, for those proposing removing smalltalk, you would see a marked increase of twaddle bollocks in the marine and tech forums....

I could give a few suggestions, but possibly better I don't.

I'm sure you have some very witty and amusing suggestions, but alas this thread is in a marine forum and the topic is now completely un-marine related. Any continued discussion of non marine subjects, however witty and amusing they may be, is a clear contravention of the very strict and serious site rules around marine related talk only. After all, this is a 'no smalltalk' zone and we wouldn't want to be found in breach of the rules by talking of anything of lesser size than marine things (i.e. lesser being smaller, which may be construed as small talking, which is strictly forbidden, on pain of death...)

;-)

Ok, I have removed the smalltalk forum from the Guest (not logged in) user group. This is so that the discussion in that thread is only visible to members - in the standard group. I'll see how this goes, but it presents a better picture of what the site is for to the public. IMO.

I'm sure you have some very witty and amusing suggestions, but alas this thread is in a marine forum and the topic is now completely un-marine related. Any continued discussion of non marine subjects, however witty and amusing they may be, is a clear contravention of the very strict and serious site rules around marine related talk only. After all, this is a 'no smalltalk' zone and we wouldn't want to be found in breach of the rules by talking of anything of lesser size than marine things (i.e. lesser being smaller, which may be construed as small talking, which is strictly forbidden, on pain of death...)

;-)

I just read through the site rules and couldn't find anything to support your statement, 

"This is a community of individuals who share a common interest in boating"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't see anything that said we could only talk about boating stuff, there is some rules about politics, religion and weapons, but otherwise politeness seemed to be the main guideline.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I couldn't see anything that said we could only talk about boating stuff, there is some rules about politics, religion and weapons, but otherwise politeness seemed to be the main guideline.

I'm confused, you mean we can make small talk in the marine talk section? What is everyone complaining about then?

Did you see the rugby the other night, wasn't that boring.

How are the kids doing? My marigolds are flowering early this year.

(That is smalltalk, just for a little humour...)

Hi BOIG...Sorry but just clicked on wrong button and zeroed  out your post credit. I was just looking to see who didn't agree and bizzo.Seems I'm techno deficit. Agree with your post and I just don't get why 20 odd out of 1200 get to influence the rules. If they don't like it don't look. For the most part there is reasonable discussion about controversial matters and for those of us who won't contaminate our lives with F/B et al I for one find it interesting. And allowing guests on broadens the discussion. BTW missing KM. What was his sin ? Hope it was serious as it could be censorship creeping in ?

I've considered deleting several posts in this thread. This is not smalltalk, its in marine talk so everyone can see it. Please keep your posts within the rules. 

Could you clarify what posts you considered deleting and why?

My posts, while intended to be humorous, were intended to show the difficulty of defining what is strictly marine talk, and what are grey areas that wander from that definition and into small talk. BoIGuy made my point in reply to my post.

I've no problem with people opting out of small talk, and encourage it as an exercise of our own choice. But banning small talk is far closer to censorship than anything, and would only serve to drive an increase in unrelated topics in marine talk, defeating the purpose of deleting small talk.

But if you want to encourage 'tighter' posting and improve the site or whatever, you need to explain why you considered deleting posts, and which posts. Your reasoning may be perfectly clear to you, but completely vague to others. Posters may feel they are making a legitimate point, and if you threaten to delete their posts, it can come across as censorship, rather than administration of the site rules.

Another option is to use the follow this topic button. You receive a email re the topics and threads that you want to read and possibly reply, only -  direct to your email account without even visiting the site. It gives a copy of the posting, date and by whom with no advertising.

Turned off the email notification years ago and doing as you say you need to know what’s there to follow.

I just scan the titles and who posted them in new content, then I only need to look at what interests me personal.

I haven’t looked at anything that’s remotely political or posted by some particular people in years

But that’s my choice

Could you clarify what posts you considered deleting and why?

My posts, while intended to be humorous, were intended to show the difficulty of defining what is strictly marine talk, and what are grey areas that wander from that definition and into small talk. BoIGuy made my point in reply to my post.

I've no problem with people opting out of small talk, and encourage it as an exercise of our own choice. But banning small talk is far closer to censorship than anything, and would only serve to drive an increase in unrelated topics in marine talk, defeating the purpose of deleting small talk.

But if you want to encourage 'tighter' posting and improve the site or whatever, you need to explain why you considered deleting posts, and which posts. Your reasoning may be perfectly clear to you, but completely vague to others. Posters may feel they are making a legitimate point, and if you threaten to delete their posts, it can come across as censorship, rather than administration of the site rules.

Ok, its very simple. Please keep to the rules. They are here. http://crew.org.nz/site_rules.html Please read them. One of the rules is 

• Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track.

Many of the more recent posts on this thread don't comply with that rule.

There is a lot of posting in the small talk forum in particular that needs most of the site moderation, and gets more users banned than any other section. The small talk forum is not now view able by guests, as I don't believe it presents a useful view of this site, or its intent. We'll see how that goes, and if it gets too much out of control, that forum will be removed.

• Upvote 1