Something sensible, Hauraki Gulf, east North NZ, while we save for Cat?

Ive also noticed a lot of large cabin sloops with wheel houses inside, that might be up her ally. Technically arent most yachts sloops, from wiki "sloop is a sailing boat with a single mast typically meaning one headsail in front of the mast, and one mainsail aft of (behind) the mast"

What you are talking about here is a Pilot House. Typically they are on fully spec'ed offshore cruisers, and generally in the 55 ft plus bracket, although there are smaller models.

I was going to say you'd be lucky to find one for less than $200k (that doesn't need a lot of work) but there is this pilot house ketch for $130K

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1660095161.htm?rsqid=67356fc2525940daac9094cd10d65cef-002

The catch with this one is its a 37 yr old steel vessel. It might blow the 'needs work done' part out of the water.

You do have some really paradoxical requirements on the wish list, i.e. wanting to save money and buy a boat, wanting a cheap boat that doens't need any work, wanting a boat like a motor cruiser, but not a motor cruiser, and with good light wind performance; (motor cruisers have terrible light wind sailing performance, hence the big engine), a boat for $50k, but that can carry a 12 ft centre console, wheel steering in a sub 40 fter, a yacht but thats good for game fishing etc.

Its sure good to explore what you can get, and what it is that will satisfy you (and the missus), but at the moment I would think the only yachts available that can meet those requirements are in the $600k plus bracket and would be in the form of a 60 ft Benetau or Jeaneau type set up.

I was going to post a joking post with a link to a Vindex launch, saying it meets all but one of your requirements (being its not a yacht), but you specifically say you don't want a launch. I am curious about why not? Cause it does sound like the uses you want are well suited to a launch. Possibly if its about fuel cost / consumption, and you are happy to go at yacht speed, then a displacement launch is actually what you are after? They do tick a lot of boxes (and have a wheel).

Dinghy with a centre console will be quite a hassle to store on board... Maybe on transom davits but then it's in the way of your fishing. And you'll struggle to fit a 12 foot dinghy of the foredeck of a lotus 10.6. we carry a 2.8m (9ft?) Dinghy on the foredeck of the 39 footer and it's a squeeze.

Yes that was my original thoughts davits, but would block my fishing. 10.5ft would be the minimum for a RIB for dive purposes, but would fly with the 9.8. 

Yes I do feel my price  requirements increasing, as long as I have solid reasonings for them :-)

I looked at the Farr Bavaria 37, I couldnt believe a Bavaria that sails quite nicely. its $300k new, so lets say something 5 years old is possible for $200k? To me that is justifiable. Not saying thats what I intend to spend. My heart is set on the Aussie Cat (used), but things can be stepping stones.

You/We all know how hard it is to stay off the ocean. But yes I do need to keep the budget in check. Just for a bit longer. 

What you are talking about here is a Pilot House. Typically they are on fully spec'ed offshore cruisers, and generally in the 55 ft plus bracket, although there are smaller models.

I was going to say you'd be lucky to find one for less than $200k (that doesn't need a lot of work) but there is this pilot house ketch for $130K

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1660095161.htm?rsqid=67356fc2525940daac9094cd10d65cef-002

The catch with this one is its a 37 yr old steel vessel. It might blow the 'needs work done' part out of the water.

It does seem old but a lot of boat for the money for the right person.

The sloop Pilot houses I was looking at were minimum $70k. The Mrs would like the concept of it, I just dont know how practical night watch would be and how reliable the internal steering structure is compared to the stern wheels?

But it does mean a lot of indoor area and the possibility of not getting drenched when on night watch, which is something she is coming to terms with.

I think $600k is getting close to our end requirement, at this stage its $400k because I have my heart set on a near new seawind 1160. 

I have see another cat that some how stores his rather large rib, with engine on his Cats bow, it uses some kind of crane/winch system. 

For us the secondary boat is probably more important than a lot of people who just use it as a tender. For us its more a case of being our dive vessel. So whilst I can handle a small ally 3.1m for now on a 35ft mono, on a 40ft Cat, I am going to want something more substantial, I will explore those options over time. 

I really miss the taste of MahiMahi. Even getting to the 3 kings opens up my chances of trolling the beautiful dolphin fish. 

In 5 years time I will be asking other questions more around financials like how do you calculate your investment needs to fund your sailing fees/parts/technology etc etc. We are trying to get $2m invested at a low risk of 5% so not make a lot over inflation, but hopefully enough, and $400k for the boat. 

If you want value for money, and a pilot house with internal station, this one is very attractive:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1984325863.htm?rsqid=2e928dd7f72a441f96469f9685ffce5a-002

Only issue being they are asking $500k, which is well beyond my means, and its got in mast furling, which I can't stand. In reality this is just me browsing boats for sale and day dreaming. But it looks like a lot of quality boat for the asking price. I'm curious to know what state the engine / mechanicals are in, and if it needs much work before a lap of the planet.

If you want value for money, and a pilot house with internal station, this one is very attractive:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-1984325863.htm?rsqid=2e928dd7f72a441f96469f9685ffce5a-002

Only issue being they are asking $500k, which is well beyond my means, and its got in mast furling, which I can't stand. In reality this is just me browsing boats for sale and day dreaming. But it looks like a lot of quality boat for the asking price. I'm curious to know what state the engine / mechanicals are in, and if it needs much work before a lap of the planet.

But it is gorgeous. I like the wood finish, I dont know the technical name, I presume its laminate? But looks a class act.

Part of buying a monohull now is actually getting the Mrs use to long voyages on a monohull, something she doesnt enjoy. 

Another thing Im starting to realise is SeaWind are not the only performance Cats out there. I notice a gorgeous Grainger high performance Cat with Dagger Boards, its 18 years old but looks clean, for $330k asking. Of course I would never pay asking. So potentially I could see myself in a boat that she enjoys as a house on water and I enjoy as a sailing and fishing vessel that gets us to unbelievable dive locations. We both free dive for spearing and bubble blow for visiting reefs etc. So a compressor and spear tanks are going to be obvious fit outs. 

Can be done

Lovely beakies of varying variety there Jon mate. Where did you get the marlin?

And how useful was that marlin/swim board in landing the fish?

I would like to get into the deep blue with a gun once Ive teased a few up to the surface. Ive seen videos of guys spearing big Blues and getting towed, eventually needing 3 spears in it to slow it down and get it aboard a small spear boat.

Thats where a 3rd person aboard would be helpful or the Mrs, to keep the yacht close by or the tender while we get a couple of spears in, before Mr Mako comes along to steal my catch, my gun and all my rig lol.

On the Spearfishing tender front. I thought an option could be a 100% inflatable hypalon like the bombarider or high end zodiac 14ft'rs simply inflate via compressor when the boat is required. However if it fits somewhere on the cat, so be it, Id like still go for a rib, simply for cutting through the water, as good as modern day SIB keel tubes are, nothing beats a hard keel.

Why don’t you check out the Wharrams that are around, 50k should do it then you have a cat that can carry everything you want.... probably not a wheel (still don’t get that one!).

You could probably throw a small bit of money at them and be off to Fiji. Not my cup of tea but seem to do the job - very much function over form.

At least 2 on trademe, also A few Tri’s

Not my cup of tea but seem to do the job - very much function over form.

At least 2 on trademe, also A few Tri’s

Im with you Tazzy. I did look, and it didnt take me long to go, nope. Just not for me. Each to their own.

Money wont be the issue when it comes time to buy the end game. Im looking at some of the new performance cats, they still look like gorgeous apartments, but with rotating masts etc, some of them do 23knts in 18knts wind. Crazy fast. But you pay for that. I will be happy with something like a Grainger or a SeaWind. Still a lot faster than a big heavy Lagoon etc. Leopards also have put out some good stock.

Its just a case of when Im ready to buy, seeing as many options in performance cats as I can. most used around 40ft go for around $300k, so it will be interesting to see what this new ultra fast generation sells for in 10 years time. If its $500k, I will be happy with that.

Lets face it, as long as you have investment on Land ie you house/s rented out, $500k is not a lot for a quality ultra fast comfort machine. 

And mid to late 50s is not too old to do it, the mrs is 8 years younger, she has 2 doctorates so will be able to keep workin remotely, while I, umm, well I become lazy and draw out of my Aussie super at 55 ;-p. I figure once we have done our round the world sailing, I would like to work in the Marina, Tuts or Whangarei, doing something. 20 hours a week, just to fill the time, but maybe I can fill that time chasing beakies in my Cat short handed :-).

Yeah Ive done it in a farr sub 30ft myself, its the mrs, she throws up on monohulls but seems to have no issues on cats and tris, I have no idea why as I dont understand and have never had sea sickness.

OK call me daft, but to get her out on the water for weekends, Im considering a trailberable Corsair 880. They have plenty of cabin room, including small galley and chiller. You can run heating etc. All the electrics you want. It seems the perfect weekend multihull hauraki gulf cruiser.

I dont see why there would be issue sailing it hop and skip over to GBI? Of courser given its under 30feet and a trailer Trimaran Im not taking it out in 40 knots + etc.

Ive seen one for $50k and they offer a lot of fun and will get me to the Mercury Islands a lot quicker than a big Cat, likely 3 times quicker.

I think I will stick to the 35ft Mono until I can afford a Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 which is a performance cruiser. I was going for a seawind 1160, but a used Bahia is not much more and faster. Or possibly an Outremer 45. Something of that style, performance with the comforts there. I wont be able to afford new, but a 10 year old is only $400-500k

Just soooooo many options in the $300-500k bracket, from 40-59ft peformance cats, some that hold wind speed records like 29 knots. Others that will do near wind speed down and still 75% up. The performance cats cut down passage time dramatically vs big heavy Cats that look nice, but even the performance cats have nice saloons, quarters, real showers, water makers, 2000w inverters provide plenty of movie nights on large screen TVs.

It all just excites me to keep working earning good money. If I retire mid 50s in 10 years, own a solid well refitted 45-50ft Cat and have investments plus my aussie super which kiwis can access at 55yo, I have hopefully a good 20 years of living on the ocean mainly.

Making dreams come true just takes a good team and a plan monetary.

I really dont feel it fair to claim the pension if I have $2k per week coming in from investments etc. I think it should be Assett tested to solve this stupid over priced NZ housing market and put Auckland prices back down a few hundred K where they should be. Yes I voted for Gareth Morgan and I agree with the Cats problem, the Mrs think its a no brainer as her double Dr's are in biology and she sees the effect feral cats and even house cats have on our Fauna.

In saying that I want a Cat and a dog, both desexed and chipped on the boat. Teach my Dog to take my speared fish back to the Esky/Chiller lol.

Thats a whole another conversation. What Dogs are the most suitable for a boat? Id like a short haired dog. I like staffies but if they are hyper like my last one that chewed through a live fridge cable they are a liability. I like French BD's but the Mrs doesnt. Foxies are usually too hyper. Some kind of Terrier anyway.

This is a lot of 56ft cat for $400k asking https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/multihull/auction-2244026602.htm?rsqid=919ce765fcce4ff08bcefad92e188fca-015

But I think I will stick with Outremer, Seawind, Leopard and Catana 45ft. They all do mono hull speeds but other brands do those speeds with a lot of slap and uncomfortable ride.

Really starting to see what is good hull design along with lightweight dagger board hullls, that dont slap through waves but are shaped for minimal slap.

Ive decided to put the 13ft centre console RIB on davets at the back. I can still fish on either side. A dream would be to go to Qld outside the GB reef and troll for black marlin, in a sail boat. Another dream. They get HUGE. Catch and release for me. Mahi-mahi and YFT are plentiful and very tasty. Will take a bradley smoker alongside the BBQ.

The real catch will be in purchasing and making sure I get a good surveyor to pick out what needs work and throw offers based on this. Not buying into somebody elses mess at this kind of money.

I think I will stick to the 35ft Mono until I can afford a Fountaine Pajot Bahia 46 which is a performance cruiser. I was going for a seawind 1160, but a used Bahia is not much more and faster. Or possibly an Outremer 45. Something of that style, performance with the comforts there. I wont be able to afford new, but a 10 year old is only $400-500k

I'm not super familiar with the Bahia 46 but fountain pajots aren't really known for their amazing performance. Just had a look at a Bahia 46 on trademe and it looks to have no boards and a massive heavy looking interior. Doesn't scream performance.