So one of these almost hit me yesterday out in the Waitemata....

Are these things hard to change course or something? (see pic below post)

I was on starboard tack and had right of way, bunch of kids in something that looked like one of these approached on a T-bone course on port tack, and from a few hundred metres away it was plain they had to change course to miss slamming into me.

They altered course just enough - missed me aft by maybe three feet if I am being generous.  So close I could have reached over and swapped early Xmas cards...just crazy stuff.

Interestingly, I held my cool, and calmly said 'Come on guys, I have right of way" (well I didn't have to yell, so close they were) ..... I think I got a muffled "Sorry" in reply.   And yes, I do mostly give way to the racers even if I have right of way, but these kids had no boats between us , with acres of the Waitemata to safely change course....

weta-sailboat-3__01518.1547065361.jpg

I used to play Rugby League at quite a high level.  Maybe I will bring out the Carlaw Park coat hanger next time one of these gets so close that they could smell one of my farts.

Yeah, they missed me, just saying there was no reason to chance things by getting that close.  If one of us had have panicked and misread each others next move it could have been disastrous.

We were all kids once, so yeah, maybe cut them some slack, but the Waitemata is not just a place for racers to whoosh by with disregard to everyone else.

Anyway, sh#t happens.  

So you had right of way, they saw you, altered course to avoid you, and avoided you.

Hooray! The system works!

Crikey. You all think it's fine and dandy then.  36 inches clearance give or take.   Let me know when you lot are out there please , I will crack off on the opposite tack away from you nut jobs.

:roll:

The rules are quite clear, and were followed.

to do a needless large dip costs them time/ground to windward. If they were racing, (which yesterday is pretty likely as there was a lot of racing going on in the waitemata) obviously they still need to abide by the rules (which it sounds like they did), but in handicap racing often the results are decided by a few seconds only - so there's no sense in losing a whole lot of ground if you are 100% sure that you can avoid the other craft. Looking at the photos the boat looks pretty light and manoeuvrable, I'd expect they can drive it with pretty much pinpoint accuracy, meaning they don't need to leave (and sacrifice in their race) a huge surplus margin to let you through.

The problem here is that everyone has different levels of what is comfortable.

If someone is approaching too close for your comfort, then you need to communicate that to them. Being on starboard, the easiest thing to do is to start hollering at them when they are still a way aways. (i.e 'STARBOARD)

I feel its kind of a curtesy when I'm on starboard to give any port tack boat a holler well before we are close, just to ensure they have seen me. Occasionally boats haven't, and instead of waiting until they are close and them doing a crazy Ivan, if they have seen me they acknowledge with a wave or what-ever, and if need be, change course in a relaxed but early manner (as opposed to a last minute panic). If they have seen me and want to shave off the transom, they can, but I am confident that being the stand on vessel, they've acknoweldged they've seen me and I can carry on standing on.

In the OP, you stay you spoke (normal voice) to them as they sailed past. That would be fine if you were comfortable with how close they got, but if you aren't comfortable, just holler at them. There is no benefit complaining about others manners after the fact if you don't make yourself heard at the time.

The rules are quite clear, and were followed.

to do a needless large dip costs them time/ground to windward. If they were racing, (which yesterday is pretty likely as there was a lot of racing going on in the waitemata) obviously they still need to abide by the rules (which it sounds like they did), but in handicap racing often the results are decided by a few seconds only - so there's no sense in losing a whole lot of ground if you are 100% sure that you can avoid the other craft. Looking at the photos the boat looks pretty light and manoeuvrable, I'd expect they can drive it with pretty much pinpoint accuracy, meaning they don't need to leave (and sacrifice in their race) a huge surplus margin to let you through.

Well that's sorted then isn't it.  Passing so close each helmsman could lean over an pick each others nose is par for the course in the Waitemata I take it.  Thing is, I wasn't racing, and was in a heavy, slow, keeler, and I'd like to think last second course changes from the racing crowd when they are approaching from half a kilometre away, but only change course at the last few seconds in order to avoid a disaster, are not the new norm.

But, hey, maybe it's my fault for wanting to cruise around and enjoy a winters day sail when the next Russell Coutts' are out there .  I forgot that they own the harbour.

The problem here is that everyone has different levels of what is comfortable.

If someone is approaching too close for your comfort, then you need to communicate that to them. Being on starboard, the easiest thing to do is to start hollering at them when they are still a way aways. (i.e 'STARBOARD)

I feel its kind of a curtesy when I'm on starboard to give any port tack boat a holler well before we are close, just to ensure they have seen me. Occasionally boats haven't, and instead of waiting until they are close and them doing a crazy Ivan, if they have seen me they acknowledge with a wave or what-ever, and if need be, change course in a relaxed but early manner (as opposed to a last minute panic). If they have seen me and want to shave off the transom, they can, but I am confident that being the stand on vessel, they've acknoweldged they've seen me and I can carry on standing on.

In the OP, you stay you spoke (normal voice) to them as they sailed past. That would be fine if you were comfortable with how close they got, but if you aren't comfortable, just holler at them. There is no benefit complaining about others manners after the fact if you don't make yourself heard at the time.

Yeah look, good post mate, and I take your point.  I don't think I am doing a good job of explaining it...both of us were in clear view of each other.  They were a good five hundred metres away when I first became aware of them.  I guess I thought with so much time that they would surely change course...but they just kept coming on a direct Tbone, and yes I did start saying "Do not hit me...do not hit me..." when they got within 50 metres.  Both me and there helmsman were in direct eye contact...and at the last 10 metres or so they altered course to miss my stern by a miniscule amount...a metre gap, no more.

Anyway, obviously most posters here appear to be more sympathetic to the racers, and that's fine -- I started the thread so have to accept that everyone has their own opinions.

I just don't think the lads needed to make it such a wilkinson sword close shave.  Maybe I am the only one who has had this experience, and this sort of thing is unusual.

Though I was wondering at the time that I had just changed my insurance over from full to 3rd party.  Murphys law huh.

Politely, I think you might be over reacting a bit. When I first saw the post title, I thought you were going to complain about a massive 20t stink pot coming within a boat length, dragging its arse in the water and throwing up a wake any surfer would have a great day on, crashing your boat around, spilling your drinks and scaring the kids.

But it was a tinny little plastic thing. Your in a heavy keeler, a little plastic thing like that would bounce off without hardly scratching the paint. If htey hit you, which they didn't, and they passed behind, not like they cut under your bow.

Alternatively you could have had a 60 ft racer fully barred up charging at you, doing a gennaker drop over your head or something.

But you didn't give any forewarning you were uncomfortable with how close they got. Next time, just shout starboard at them while they are still several boatlengths away.

Sorry, we both posted at the same time, so my post above wasn't in reply to your last post.

Guess all I can say is, if your not comfortable, communicate it. Best way (I think) is by shouting starboard, ins not rude, I believe its a curtesy.

Politely, I think you might be over reacting a bit. When I first saw the post title, I thought you were going to complain about a massive 20t stink pot coming within a boat length, dragging its arse in the water and throwing up a wake any surfer would have a great day on, crashing your boat around, spilling your drinks and scaring the kids.

But it was a tinny little plastic thing. Your in a heavy keeler, a little plastic thing like that would bounce off without hardly scratching the paint. If htey hit you, which they didn't, and they passed behind, not like they cut under your bow.

Alternatively you could have had a 60 ft racer fully barred up charging at you, doing a gennaker drop over your head or something.

But you didn't give any forewarning you were uncomfortable with how close they got. Next time, just shout starboard at them while they are still several boatlengths away.

Yeow maybe

Sorry, we both posted at the same time, so my post above wasn't in reply to your last post.

Guess all I can say is, if your not comfortable, communicate it. Best way (I think) is by shouting starboard, ins not rude, I believe its a curtesy.

No worries mate.  I will be certain to holler and wave arms about like a side-line parent at a school football game, next time.

• Upvote 1

But, hey, maybe it's my fault for wanting to cruise around and enjoy a winters day sail when the next Russell Coutts' are out there . I forgot that they own the harbour.

They're following the rules that allow everyone to use the harbour in harmony. It seems to be you who expects special treatment as if you feel like you own the harbour...

Jeez, sounds like you need to go dinghy sailing a bit.  Three feet is "a wide berth".  As a kid sailing dinghies we would spend our days cutting it finer than that, it's part of the fun.  Sailing the boat shown in the photo means that your "slow heavy keeler" can be considered stationary and is really easy to miss by enough.  If it happens again I would give them a "woohoo, that looks like fun" call and focus on the marinised motorist brigade who don't actually know any better.  They are actually dangerous.

They're following the rules that allow everyone to use the harbour in harmony. It seems to be you who expects special treatment as if you feel like you own the harbour...

Fish made some good points.  You on the other hand are just talking crap.  Good on yah, pal.

• Upvote 1

When approaching a starboard tack trailer sailer always allow a bit more room for the transom mounted outboard

As Maxwell Smart would say... "Missed it by this much"

Heh, now that's a bit of good humour.  Loved that show when I was a kid.