Alex Thomson's new IMOCA

Really interesting cockpit/cabin setup. I would love to see how that cockpit area works under the cabin with sheet leads ect. I guess the idea is to reduce windage and maximise shelter. These guys are pretty sharp with concepts and love pushing boundaries.

If it holds together then this boat will most likey win the vendee.

• Upvote 2

Pretty much absolutely what I thought Josh. These boats are incredibly wet, and a dry and warm sailor makes better decisions. This looks like the water will wash over the stern more easily than the previous models, which should give her less resistance.

Should be less solid water over boat when flying/foiling if that is what this new boats is supposed to do. Still has drag several tonnes of lead with them so not so easy to fly.

tb

Yep very similar hull shape to Charel which has a more traditional cotpit/ dodger set up.

Interesting interview with jeremie bayou and sam davies on facebook. They were both saying that when these boats are at full speed you simply can't move around safely, cook, eat do maintenance or anything.

Maybe the inside of alex's cabin is just a big pink padded cell........ 

• Upvote 1

I showed that vid to my 4 yr / old boy, he goes 'hydrofoil', has seen one in his big book of machines....

At a basic level, they've designed a submarine, with the crew and all systems downstairs, designed for the water to go un-impeded over the top. But the submarine is designed to fly above the water... Rationalise that.

At a basic level, they've designed a submarine, with the crew and all systems downstairs, designed for the water to go un-impeded over the top. But the submarine is designed to fly above the water... Rationalise that.

Designed for the air to go over the top too, stick your head out your car sunroof at 30knots and you will get the idea.