Optimists in Antigua

The protester was Swiss and could easily (and may have) have responded or provoked in kind but the young kiwi lad likely had no idea what the insult was...

Not saying it’s right to treat your competitors with no respect, but it seems a little one sided. Given the language I hear around here from the Swiss teens and preteens, I doubt it was a one sided affair...

The protester was Swiss and could easily (and may have) have responded or provoked in kind ... I doubt it was a one sided affair...

Yes, it was a two-sided affair alright. The port side bow of an NZL windward boat was sailed into the starboard side of a SUI leeward boat in 15-20kt of breeze. If I was the SUI sailor I'd be a little exercised as well.

• Upvote 1

One reason that sort of language is frowned upon is that it is often used 

in an attempt to intimidate  . . . which should not be permitted in our sport. 

Reminds me of the time a crew guy on a Bene 36.7 threatened to "kick your ass" (that would be my ass) 

at a close mark rounding. Owner of the boat apologized, behavior was not repeated. 

Seeing as it’s the opti worlds this kids expected pathway is probably the olympics and beyond . No doubt he’s had countless hours of coaching , many 1000s of Ks travelling to regattas a crap ton of $$$ to get to the Caribbean plus the support and expectation of his local club . I don’t know his folks but I’m sure they’ve given him a lecture on chucking away a race after all the blood , sweat and tears to get there . I’m not shocked by the language but 12 year olds sporting arena isn’t the place for it so good call by the judges .

So far off the mark! No 20knots of wind, no 1.5-2m waves, it's a Laser not an Optimist, and for the same comment to be made would indicate either a partially completed, or botched, gender reassignment procedure!

But HT, I agree with DrW, if you are not prepared to post similar comments with yourself/wife/daughter in the picture it's probably best left on your hard drive for your own amusement!