Incorporating EIS/AIS, laptop or new Nav system?

Ive been thinking about if I get a an 80s hull if it doesnt have a new nav system, chart plotter etc, I really want all the gear, including alarms, not that AIS/EIS replaces eyes, it sure beats being hit by a tanker.

Would you just put an antenna in and run off a laptop including navman software etc?

One thing about Monohulls vs the nice helms on Cats is the electronics for nav are a lot further away. Are you going to hear an alarm in the cockpit when the nav gear is down below?

You could get a Vesper AIS and wifi it to a tablet, then you get your AIS overlaid onto your charts, even radar as well if you so desire.

Timezero Iboat is just one of many charting apps, Inavx, Isailor Navionics etc etc

1122574867.jpg

1122573990.jpg

1122573863.jpg

Or you could use an android tablet to do the same, put OpenCpn on it, instead of buying a nice but expensive ipad app

TwoSail

Does that mean you need BOTH?  DO AIS systems have anchor and hazard way point alarms. Computers are more delicate and non water proof compared to chart plotters I would have thought and from my experience with both.  Are you intending going to the Straits of Hormuz?

Im not sure about hazards on AIS. One nice factor is if you are doing a voyage with a few boats you can see where everybody is etc. Floating hazards are the big unavoidable, I saw one guy doing single handed to Hawaii on his awake shift during the day (he would get up every hour at night), go passed a half sunken fishing junk boat, which would cause major issues had he hit it which would be very easy at night even awake. Who knows what the future holds for the system and radar though.

The other thing is you can get tough tablets, the ex uses one for marine biology. Thanks LadyHawk I was thinking Navionics clearly not Navman hahaha. Getting old. Wifi system is very cool. If that sets your phone off you are going to hear it.

I think its going to depend on what I buy and what it already has or hasnt got.

Once I get to my Catamaran I will be making sure it fully updated with electronics.

• Upvote 1

Many, if not most, of the long term cruisers use opencpn....

True but the world is changing fast.  Navionics now supports AIS on Ipad.  We are toying with using https://www.weather4d.com/ on new boat and ditching chart plotters altogether.  The Radar runs on wifi and app so don't see much use for a chart plotter any longer.  Saves a lot of cash and you still have all the instruments on the back bone and AIS.  

Besides I rarely use the Chartplotter on existing boat.  The ipad is just easier to use.  

Of course.

However, IMO I'd not use an ipad as a primary nav device. They are a great tool and the mobility is useful. Navico's radars (Broadband, B&G, Simrad) dont do well over wifi, there is just too much data. However, if you want basic, OCPN runs fine on a raspberry pi, and remote screen software from that to a tablet works well. Navionics is a long way behind OCPN in abilities - weather routing, polars, radar, and more than 20 other plugins for whatever functionality you want, all free...

The reason that many like this is charts. Charts  for the world are very expensive, and Navionics simply turn them off with no notice if your licence expires... 

• Upvote 2

Im almost embarrassed to say this but the last three offshore passages i have done entirely using marinermx on my phone. Plus everything in between.

You are right BP.  Apps work and will be the future I think

Of course.

However, IMO I'd not use an ipad as a primary nav device. They are a great tool and the mobility is useful. Navico's radars (Broadband, B&G, Simrad) dont do well over wifi, there is just too much data. However, if you want basic, OCPN runs fine on a raspberry pi, and remote screen software from that to a tablet works well. Navionics is a long way behind OCPN in abilities - weather routing, polars, radar, and more than 20 other plugins for whatever functionality you want, all free...

The reason that many like this is charts. Charts  for the world are very expensive, and Navionics simply turn them off with no notice if your licence expires... 

I sort of agree IT however we all have back up GPS systems and charts, but to be fair i've had many more issues with chart plotters than I've ever had with Ipads, the recent Raymarine updates are a great example of complete BS.  For non IT experts they are excellent compared with their complicated but cheaper sisters raspberry pi's etc.  Have a look at https://www.weather4d.com/  it covers most of the areas you raise and on an Ipad.  

My Wifi radar works fine by the way.  I like simplicity and lack the time or skills to worry about the other stuff. 

Navionics on my ipad don't turn off, I haven't paid a subscription fee for 2 years and it still works?  

Different points of view I know but these are just my thoughts. 

• Upvote 1

Everyone has slightly different requirements and preferences. As it should be.

My Ipad Navionics stopped in the middle of a passage. App worked but no chart access - was a while ago, and a quick internet search shows that expiry now should just block updates, so  maybe that issue is now fixed.

I didn't say that no wifi radars work, I said the Navico Broadband radars dont work well over wifi - they use the entire bandwidth of most wifi systems. Some radars are designed for wifi and should be fine. 

For anyone who's interested;

I actually use a PC, AND a conventional plotter.  But I have an extensive IT background, and now marine electronics are my business. I get very good discounts on marine electonics for my boat as demo equipment.

I would not like a tablet as a primary as it is to vulnerable - fixed to a mount and connected to power maybe.

I like tech. I have Radar, AIS,  Wind data, 4 instrument displays, Fwd Scan Sonar, a 15" display at the helm, a 7" Plotter at the front of the cockpit, a 14" display at the nav station below. Also VHF with DSC.   I have two tablets, an Ipad air and an android one. There is wifi access to system data or remote control for plotter, bluetooth AP controller, AP with all modes (Compass, Nav, Wind, WindNav, NoDrift). Also a sonar hub, and a solid state system compass with roll, pitch and yaw. Then Pactor 3 modem, and SSB for weather files and comms (email etc) . The AP Can be controlled by AP remote at helm, the Bluetooth AP controller, the plotter at the front of the cockpit, or from any PC screen. Data is mostly NME2000 by bus, but also ethernet. Software includes Opencpn on PC and Andriod, + Navionics and others on the Ipad. The plotter runs Navico (B&G) NOS. 

This system would not be suitable for many, but it suits me. Some like a sextant! (Got one of those too!)

• Upvote 1

For this year's winter Sth Pacific islands cruise I left NZ with:

Standalone chart plotter with recent C Map card (Sept 18)

Laptop running Open CPN loaded with all LINZ charts and last version of CM93

Tablet, initially only loaded with Fiji mariners guide app (compilation of google map photos for Fiji).

Open CPN was ok in Tonga as it is running LINZ charts albeit with some gaps, eg no raster charts for the Ha'apais.

Then downloaded Navionics and this has become principal reference charts for coastal navigation around Fiji and now Vanuatu.

The charts available for Open CPN just do not have sufficient detail and neither did the C Map card in the chart plotter, eg the C Map card had no soundings for the Western Yasawas. I queried C Map on this and they advised they have only just incorporated these soundings (and others) in their June 2019 release.

I have since picked up a comprehensive set of google earth photos for the sth pacific which has been installed to run with Open CPN.

Whilst in Western Fiji where I had good internet access(have a cell phone booster aerial running to a mifi modem) I was running google map live, it was very good for picking up reef outlines.

I am finding I use the Chart plotter for ocean passages (and an ocean chart open on the chart table) and the tablet on the coast. I really only look at OpenCPN for the google photos, whereas back on NZ coast it is my preferred reference 

Im almost embarrassed to say this but the last three offshore passages i have done entirely using marinermx on my phone. Plus everything in between.

Cant get anything to show for 'marinermx' Whats it about?

I’ve downloaded the following app as suggested by Dr Dave on here, looks really good

You need to download an area whilst you have good internet access

I haven’t used it in anger yet however, has anyone else here ?

Ovitalmap

Sorry. Try MX Mariner. Its a chart plotter. I find it easier to use and more intuitive than others. Uses lees power than navionics.

Doesn’t appear to be an iOS app ?

Android only by the looks

Marinheiro - where did you get all the GoogleEarth photos for Sth Pacific? I downloaded some for Vava’u and Fiji (Soggy paws) but could find any for rest of Sth Pacific.

Typical cruising source, down loaded from another cruisers laptop, who had in turn got it from another cruiser.... About 10 GB worth. When I get back to NZ in November I will find a way to pass the data on to anyone who is interested.

• Upvote 1