A new marine pest

Its got to have been from the dredgings being dumped out there....

But in seriousness, if this bit is correct:

"The sea squirt is found in the waters of North and South America and parts of the the Mediterranean."

i.e. it is present along the eastern Pacific already, then I'd say it got here on ocean currents. 

The warm and clear East Auckland current washes over Gt Barrier. Last summer was phenomenal for sea temperatures.

I'm not into game fishing, but didn't those guys have a dumper season or two recently (due to strong ocean currents and high sea temps)?

There is a reasonable possibility this one is down to the changes in global weather patterns and ocean currents (i.e. climate change) and not due to the usual vectors of commercial shipping, or those dirty filthy recreational boaters who are constantly deliberately transferring marine pests up and down our coast (as the NRC would have us believe).

If this one is due to ocean currents and warm sea temps, we are only going to get more like it. Aqua culture and agriculture in NZ will change. I'm seriously interested in growing bananas at home, just for a laugh... and for a tangible benefit / example of climate change.

• Upvote 1

Another lovely filter feeder, if we are not careful all that dirty water in Whangarei's upper harbour will become clean again, thanks to the "Mediteranian" fan worm, how bad that would be, nothing left for the poor barnacles to cling onto.

I think that the NRC should adopt Don Quixote as their mascot / emblem, just change the windmills for Alien filter feeders.

With the local elections about to happen, it will be interesting as to how many of the incumbents get back in and what changes may come about if there is a substantial changing of the guard.

Just got a letter explaining the NRC continued failed attempts to eradicate Fan Worm in Opua, and that they are going to have another go.

If you can't eradicate in the fully enclosed, clear water Marina at Marsden Cove, what are they using to justify continuing in the murky open waters of the Bay of Islands. I guess its not their money so there is no limit. Watched the effort in English bay, 6 on board I think, all getting paid, big boat too, you couldn't see 1 foot below the surface. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Its got to have been from the dredgings being dumped out there....

But in seriousness, if this bit is correct:

"The sea squirt is found in the waters of North and South America and parts of the the Mediterranean."

i.e. it is present along the eastern Pacific already, then I'd say it got here on ocean currents. 

The warm and clear East Auckland current washes over Gt Barrier. Last summer was phenomenal for sea temperatures.

I'm not into game fishing, but didn't those guys have a dumper season or two recently (due to strong ocean currents and high sea temps)?

There is a reasonable possibility this one is down to the changes in global weather patterns and ocean currents (i.e. climate change) and not due to the usual vectors of commercial shipping, or those dirty filthy recreational boaters who are constantly deliberately transferring marine pests up and down our coast (as the NRC would have us believe).

If this one is due to ocean currents and warm sea temps, we are only going to get more like it. Aqua culture and agriculture in NZ will change. I'm seriously interested in growing bananas at home, just for a laugh... and for a tangible benefit / example of climate change.

Re being forbidden to wash your boats bum at the Smokehouse bay piles:

I have wondered if the folk who seem to want to police the cleaning of yachts bottoms have ever watched a Mussel harvesting boat in Fitzroy Harbour while it is harvesting, the amount of mud, weed, and anything and everything else growing on the ropes (maybe fan worms, perhaps sea squirts, and their ilk) are washed back into the self same water that they came from in huge quantities. (think tonnes) Something that is a big No No for yachties, surely if the mussel harvesters can do it it then it can't be bad or the above folk would be on their case. Surely??

The mussels are all they are after after all.

• Upvote 1

Rehab, It was with a hint of irony / sarcasm that I mentioned the amount of debris from the mussel lines being returned to the sea, I'm sure that the powers that be know exactly what is being done and how. Commercial interests and the $$$ they represent trumps everything else.

Yachties are a soft target, not a lot of cohesion amongst them, for reference look at this forum, ;-)  ;-)  ;-(

• Upvote 1

What a joke. I read that an individual female fan worm produces 50,000 eggs. When are they going to give up and leave us alone?

Probably not until there is a well written email/letter to someone in the media, that picks up the story and runs with it.   A half decent journalist will rip their reasoning apart with simple questioning. 

Is there a wordsmith/spin doctor in the forum with contacts? 

• Upvote 1

Yachties are a soft target, not a lot of cohesion amongst them, for reference look at this forum, ;-)  ;-)  ;-(

Regional council have no jurisdiction over commercial marine activities.   So can only pick on recreational water users.  

Probably not until there is a well written email/letter to someone in the media, that picks up the story and runs with it.   A half decent journalist will rip their reasoning apart with simple questioning. 

Is there a wordsmith/spin doctor in the forum with contacts?

Rehabs on holiday
  • Upvote 1

Always wondered when I see ships anchored out side out place or off rangi what are they carrying , what’s under them that’s introducing its self to nz , I wonder if the authority’s dive the anchoring zone of rangi and see what’s growing there from the ships .