Team Fracking.

Every good drama needs a villain. 

I do appreciate how Sir Ben 'crash' Ainslee steps up to the plate and takes on that role without even needing to be asked. I never liked the guy in the first place, but here he is, ditching all his much vaunted environmental work from the last cup cycle to form Team Fracking, evening being so gracious as to not name the team after himself this time. And like any good villain, gets the ugliest freggin vehicle he can find, to keep in keeping with the villain role. Just like Dr Evil, but in real life.

As far as the boat themselves are concerned, best to throw your preconceptions out the door, this is all about foils in water and air (plus how to control them) so forget hull shape. They have to design to optimise lift off, wind range, aerodynamics but its mostly the foils and the tiniest change in foil design can have a massive impact on performance.

You may have a point, but I can't help but wonder if Sir 'Crash' Ainslee deliberately had the sides of his boat strengthened in that angular box form, to act as bull bars / crash rails to allow for his typically aggressive pre-start maneuvering?

There are benefits other than aero for having all the crew safely tucked away inside the boat...