Fatality - Northland

YNZ  Q & A Session  coming  up Yachting New Zealand representatives Hayden Whitburn, Raynor Haagh and David Abercrombie will be having a Question and Answer session here at Kissing Point on August 12th at 5:30.

From club Newsletter, Whangarei Cruising Club. 

If you want cheap & easy offshore registration I’d suggest Cook Islands Yacht Squadron (CIYS). That’s where Fogg was registered until I bought and imported her to NZ whereupon I registered as NZ vessel. But now I’m seriously contemplating reversing that process.

Maybe the Cook I is not so easy;

"Australian and New Zealand law requires that owner’s resident in those countries register their vessels in Australia or New Zealand as the case maybe. This means that Australia and New Zealand owners wishing to register their vessels in the Cook Islands must establish a Cook Islands International Company or company in another jurisdiction to own the vessel. This does not preclude these companies from becoming CIYS members."

3 hours ago, Black Panther said:

Not entirely trusting that I double checked the MNZ website. 

It now reads differently to the last time I looked.

Yes, you'll need an overseas entity.  All options i have checked out are offering to help with this.

You can't (legally) avoid NZ registration if you're a NZ Citizen that owns the boat. 

You have to sell your boat to an foreign company which is allowed to register in the Cooks or the country of your choosing. This of course comes with the associated management, legal, insurance, tax overheads and foreign director fees that one would expect when owning a foreign entity.  So do the maths before taking the plunge. 

If you're an NZ resident and not a citizen then you can register with another country, if your country of citizenship allows it.  If you're a dual citizen then be  careful, as ships can only (legally) have one nationality and it's very easy to run foul of the laws of your other citizenship. 

10 hours ago, Adrianp said:

The change in window rules is a major change for offshore sailing multihulls.

For keel boats the rule changed from "you need to carry shutters" to "you need to have them fitted". For Multis the rule changed from " you need shutters or strong windows" to "shutters must be fitted."

Old Regs:

image.png.2ffa007516189b3325990c715eb09aab.png

Nearly all offshore sailing NZ multis have extremely strong windows and a plan to deal with breaking one of them i.e ply the right size ready to be screwed in. 

These new regs are pretty unworkable for most of the multis I've spoken too. It will weaken the window frames/cabin top, potentially allow rot to start in ply boats (lots of NZ built boats), add pressure to the windows where they weren't designed for it (think curved windows) and reduce visibility from inside the saloon. One of the things I love about my boat is we can sit on the couch and have 300 degrees of visibility, meaning watches can be mainly done from inside and greatly reducing crew fatigue and safety. Even if we use clear covers, it will reduce the visibility as our windows are already 22mm thick. 

Yes, most Multis have very large windows but we also have a greatly reduced risk of sinking, so the risk profile isn't the same as a mono.

YNZ and MNZ snuck in this change with no consultation due the consultative rule change process. I wrote a submission from the NZ Multihull Yacht Club requesting some rule updates, which they accepted, however didn't talk to us at all about this major shift for Multihulls and have been ignoring our correspondence about it since we became aware of it in March.

I'm pissed enough to be looking at offshore registration as I'm now disenfranchised from how the Cat 1 rules and regulations are formulated and implemented. I was a great defender of the system before.  

Agree totally - unworkable for Multihulls -  screwing shutters/covers over the windows -in our case quite a few - not only would restrict visibility but jeopardise the integrity of the foam in the cabin top where they need to be screwed in -particularly as they would be temporary fixtures.

2 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

If you're an NZ resident and not a citizen then you can register with another country, if your country of citizenship allows it.  If you're a dual citizen then be  careful, as ships can only (legally) have one nationality and it's very easy to run foul of the laws of your other citizenship. 

Just for clarity, if you have more than one citizenship, meeting and fulfilling the rules of one of your citizenships cannot be held against you by the country of your other citizenship - at least not in the civilised world where countries respect international law.

Having talked to NZ customs pretty recently, about importing FIREFLY. They insisted that there was no need nor requirement to register the boat in NZ - no mention of citizenship nor residency.

6 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

Just for clarity, if you have more than one citizenship, meeting and fulfilling the rules of one of your citizenships cannot be held against you by the country of your other citizenship - at least not in the civilised world where countries respect international law.

Having talked to NZ customs pretty recently, about importing FIREFLY. They insisted that there was no need nor requirement to register the boat in NZ - no mention of citizenship nor residency.

I would be intrigued to hear of any NZ Citizen who departed NZ using their NZ Passport on a foreign flagged ship that they also 100% personally owned. 

Definitely no issue importing it. You don't need to change or even have your boat registered in NZ once it's imported. 

The issue you should seek clarification on is a subsequent future export.  This is where an old colleague came unstuck...

3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

I would be intrigued to hear of any NZ Citizen who departed NZ using their NZ Passport on a foreign flagged ship that they also 100% personally owned. 

Definitely no issue importing it. You don't need to change or even have your boat registered in NZ once it's imported. 

The issue you should seek clarification on is a subsequent future export.  This is where an old colleague came unstuck...

Export/import are different things though than arrival/departure, no?

3 minutes ago, CarpeDiem said:

It's the same thing. When a boat arrives in NZ it's imported. When a boat leaves NZ it is exported.

So you're saying that when I take my NZ new boat, and sail to Fiji, it's exported? so I should be able to claim the GST back?

12 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

So you're saying that when I take my NZ new boat, and sail to Fiji, it's exported? so I should be able to claim the GST back?

Lol. Getting off topic - you generally can't claim GST back on personal goods in NZ when you export them - so no. 

But you can have not paid that GST in the first place, eg, literally everything you buy gst-free at the airport. 

You can purchase a brand-new boat in NZ gst-free so long as it is exported under it's own power. 

You can also import your boat here spend $50,000 refitting it, export it and not pay gst on that refit. (assuming it isn't already a gst nz paid boat). 

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

You can also import your boat here spend $50,000 refitting it, export it and not pay gst on that refit. (assuming it isn't already a gst nz paid boat). 

you can only do this as a "temporary import", ie as given to overseas visitors

39 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

if you want to read about registration, this should help send you to sleep

https://legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1992/0089/latest/whole.html#DLM276622

That's the relevant document.  So you need to create a foreign  entity.  All the offshore registries offer this. Can't be that hard - just look around at the number of boats that have done it. Interestingly most that have registered offshore to date have done it to avoid tax.

What I can assure everyone there is a significant and growing number of boat owners in NZ looking into registering offshore. Nearly all trying to avoid getting Cat 1.

I can certainly sympathize with the multihull owners on this one.