Theft on piles

Hi

You might like to be aware that there is a thief around on the piles. My boat was broken into and the GPS and Autohelm was stolen within the last few days.

Be wary ! Was very kind of the b#$#@^& to leave a set of sailing gloves.

I went to the marina office yesterday. They were very good. They said they could only release camera footage to the police, which they were happy to do. I went to the police to file a report. They couldn't be less interested. The lady behind the counter said they would take the details but would not be doing anything about it. She then put on her best patronising tone and said I should check the boat more often and take the electronics home. I can't say they impressed me much. Unfortunately my excess is reasonably high to keep the premium a bit less nasty, so no point claiming. First time in 35 years that I've had a boat burgled, not a great feeling.

So the possible video footage of the offender/s is locked away and nothing done.  As a former Detective in the NZ Police, I find the police response to the complaint as described by twisty as disgusting and is deserving of a letter to their local MP.  

You deserve better !!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

I went to the marina office yesterday. They were very good. They said they could only release camera footage to the police, which they were happy to do. I went to the police to file a report. They couldn't be less interested. The lady behind the counter said they would take the details but would not be doing anything about it. She then put on her best patronising tone and said I should check the boat more often and take the electronics home. I can't say they impressed me much. Unfortunately my excess is reasonably high to keep the premium a bit less nasty, so no point claiming. First time in 35 years that I've had a boat burgled, not a great feeling.

Twisty, where did you report this to the police please?

A dinghy was stolen out of the Weiti dinghy lockers. The guy who's dinghy it was re-purchased it off trademe, and in so doing obtained the name and address of the thief (and also a third party who was handling stolen property).

The police weren't interested, said there was insufficient evidence.

The insurance co had paid out on the dinghy (it was a rib), so effectively it was a civil problem for the insurance co.

Personally, I was surprised the guy claimed on the insurance (risk of premiums being hit next year) but then, my dinghy is in such bad state I couldn't give it away (it was right next to the one that was knicked...

From the Police's point of view, this wasn't an invasion of someones home, there was no breaking and entering, the cost of the item was covered (insurance), it was easily replaced, and while it was stolen, it wouldn't be hard for the perpetrator to say he 'found it' drifting or abandoned etc and didn't know it was stolen, etc etc.

I'm not saying I agree with the Police, but there is serious crime, crime and petty crime. With the WH CCTV, what would it prove? someone was in a public area? You get a picture of the purp, then what? These things are easy to wriggle out of...

Burden of proof is the issue. Had work a car broken into in a locked work parking area - an unauthorised car with strangers seen on camera with number plate shown following another car in, but as no one actually saw them break in, no action.

2 weeks ago I arrived at my boat in Bayswater to find all the lights had been left switched on (Incl nav , steaming etc) and my batteries dead flat - it just happened to coincide with a period that the Marina were having maintenance done on the Shore Power and it was switched off centrally.  On the small table between the 2 helm seats was a tray from inside the saloon with a cigarette butt (used).  It appears someone (possibly a group) came onboard , found the key , went inside and turned everything on then had a little party in the cockpit (there was just 1 beer bottle top on the floor) .  It is very weird as nothing was taken .

What was disappointing was that the security  who are supposed to check each Pier each night didn't think that a boat with all its lights on right through the night (and day) for 3 nights was unusual -or the liveaboards for that matter. 

The CCTV camera is unfortunately set up so it only sees people heading down the dock -not boarding my boat - the Marina staff did go through it but didn't come up with anything .  It does raise a few questions of security and procedures and was disappointing to the Marina Staff as well as me.

To be fair my batteries were of the age that they were coming up for replacement in the next year but it is frustrating that something like this happened. My insurance excess is also set high to keep costs down .

Bit of a wake up call on onboard security as well...

It's interesting that Westhaven and by extension, Auckland City, doesn't care about a theif active on the property they manage.

Failure to maintain law is the cause of vigilante action.

And, I thought the whole reason they've locked everyone out of the marina, with closed gate access, making it very difficult for race crew to get on board, was to prevent incidence like this.

Looks like the closed gates are about as useful as tits on a bull.

It would surprise me if  the Westhaven Marina security, are not investigating this on behalf of their customer, as they should be,  and could be for all I know,  after all they may have the key to the offence and offenders sitting on their camera system,  which is probably about to overwrite itself and lose any possible footage forever, unless they have saved the footage.  Surely the customer whose boat was broken into, is entitled to have access to the camera footage for the relevant period of time.

Twisty is more than entitled to, and should do without delay, request any information from the marina management about any internal investigation they have conducted post the complaint, into the crime and whether or not there was actual CCTV footage of the break in.

Date was sometime after last wednesday (not 100% sure) and before monday which is when I reported it. Pile # 469 (Iorangi). As I said earlier I have no problem with westhaven office staff, they were very helpful.

twisty,

I understand Westhaven won't release the footage to anyone but Police, but while the Police are getting around to investigating the matter - can I suggest you talk to security at the marina, get them to search for the footage of the incident and then save a copy.

Sometimes the footage is written over quickly, and if there is helpful evidence you don't want to loose it.

With CCTV seeing footage of some unidentifiable face generally isn't much of a lead, but if you can then follow that person across multiple camera's - perhaps to a car, perhaps getting a registration - then you have a good place to start investigating.

If you can revisit Westhaven security with your file number and the email address of the officer you dealt with then at least you could be the conduit between the two, make the connection and go from there?

If you need any further help, please PM me.

Al