Watching the Cup

For no apparent reason, apart from an excess of free time, I just binge-watched some old AC races, including the most recent series.

One thing that struck me is that on the old monohulls there was always something going on ... a bear-away set, a spinnaker peel, a torn foresail ... that was visible to the cameras, with the crew bustling about and setting things right.

In contrast, with the foiling cats, a lot of the sailing was invisible to the spectators, even with dozens of cameras on the boats. On the ETNZ boat, for instance, Peter Burling was pushing buttons and steering (while napping if you listened to the commentary), Glenn Ashby had some sort of electronic controller for the sail trim, but didn't do anything that looked like sailing. And apparently Blair Tuke also had some sort of control over the foils using an ipad thingy on his forearm.

But exactly what was going on was pretty opaque. The commentators had to guess who was doing what and how.

I assume that's pretty much what we're likely to see in 2021.

MS

• Upvote 1
On 3/04/2020 at 6:54 PM, Aleana said:

You’ve got to be worried about the ongoing viability of ETNZ’s primary sponsorship & support given who they are...

Not really. The oil keeps flowing, Emirates keep going.

Same with Etihad, Qatar.  

But the rest are reliant on Govts

11 hours ago, Tamure said:

Speaking to one of my spies, the sentiment at the moment is that the cup will go on regardless, if competitors boats are not ready then we win by default and get to keep the gravy train going for another few years :)

That would be a good way to get even less competitors next time....

9 hours ago, 1paulg said:

That would be a good way to get even less competitors next time....

Starting think if TNZ goes ahead when no team can either get down here or have yachts ready will this kill the cup??

We(TNZ) have said things need to be a level playing field,so what harm if necessary would it do to delay it to start October 2021?

Want public support.

But has ETNZ got the funds to survive through another six months or longer? I doubt it. I understand NYYC and INEOS are keen to get down to NZ as soon as they possibly can, and happy to go into quarantine for four weeks. Luna Rossa not so happy but that's probably understandable given the breakages they have had in boat 1. 

14 minutes ago, Rangi1 said:

But has ETNZ got the funds to survive through another six months or longer? I doubt it. I understand NYYC and INEOS are keen to get down to NZ as soon as they possibly can, and happy to go into quarantine for four weeks. Luna Rossa not so happy but that's probably understandable given the breakages they have had in boat 1. 

Is their current funding guaranteed now due to this covid19 and whats happening around the United Arabs??

On 6/04/2020 at 12:41 PM, Sailing NZ said:

Not really. The oil keeps flowing, Emirates keep going.

Same with Etihad, Qatar.  

But the rest are reliant on Govts

No. Not with oil prices now negative. And all the formerly oil-rich Arab states and related businesses like Emirates heading for huge pain. I’d say ongoing Emirates sponsorship would be looking very dodgy right now beyond any cash already paid / committed last few months.

My sources say Aussie border to remain closed for 6 months coinciding with a reduction to level 1, clean-international 18 months so there won't be a cup next year.

Shame as I know the USA team would love to be here now and would if they could. Anywhere but Newport

And I agree with Aleana, tough times for Emirates and fleets of A380's

Yup. I’m a top tier customer with Emirates - last couple of years I spent $150,000-200,000 each year on airfares just with them. This year will be most likely zero. And I’m only one customer. That’s what they’re up against.

• Like 1

I see there are plans for racing starting in December in Auckland, and the story I read said that the competitors are en route. So the next question is whether I (and thousands of others) will even be able to come to NZ by then. In the best scenario, the pandemic will have been brought under control and borders opened, but my god, how much will air travel cost? I had been looking forward to sitting on Above the Fold off Brown's Island and watching the action. Now???

Aside from just the fact of being in NZ which is a big deal, I can't see you missing much else. Pretty sure it will be available on pay TV.

With all the airfare spend that you'll save u can hopefully afford the full ppv package.