Hi, I have been following this forum for a while and found it a great source of information in researching for our first yacht. In a nutshell I have spent my life in, on or under the water fishing, diving, kayaking, boating with some limited sailing etc and am at the point where I want to get a trailer sailer for family holidays, initially lakes, sheltered costal water etc. We are a family of four. I live in New Plymouth and that combined with several other factors has led me to a trailer sailer, keeler not an option at the moment. 

I have been looking at the Catalina 7 and they look like a nice little boat to get into trailer sailing. I am trying to get as much info about them as I can. I guess the first question is that these boats are getting pretty long in the tooth now? I know they are usually pretty well built but for a boat from say the late 70's or early 80's, are they still a good boat and could continue on for many more years (provided they have been looked after)?. Any particular things I should look out for?

Also in relation to the Catalina's I have seen some with the "Stubb Keel", do they all have these or are there variations? Any advantages/disadvantages of different setups?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jason.

The stub keel was standard. The centre plate was to be unballasted so that raised or lowered it did not affect stability. Ballast was 408kg, weight on trailer 1610kg. Draws .61 with keel up and 1.54 with keel down. Designed by Alan Wright.

Same as any boat of that age. If it has been well maintained there is no reason it won't last a good few years more. If it needs a lot of work it will cost more than you think. Best to buy a good one and just go sailing.

• Upvote 1

Hi Jase, I’m the guy in the video. Catalina 7s are great boats. They all have the stub keel, it’s a huge safety feature. Almost all the trailer yachts are from the 70s/early 80s, most were very well built and the hulls will outlast all of us. For your initial brief almost any trailer yacht will be suitable provided it’s over say 20 ft to fit everyone. The Cat7 will happily go further once you are ready. The NZTYA page has reviews on tons of models so scroll through that stuff. Depending on budget the noelex 25 might be suitable aswell? There are newer trailer yachts such as the Ross780s or Elliott 7.4s. (Arguably not learner boats) But I’m biased to the Cat7... check out the Catalina 7 owners Facebook group some good real info on there, welcome to ask questions on there.

Trailers are a huge part of the costs so find one with a good trailer, especially as you will likely be towing regularly? Also find one that’s being used regularly. New Plymouth sailers often join BOPTYS club at Lake Rotoiti and keep them at the compound mast up storage. Beautiful area and super friendly helpful club.

Hi Jase, I’m the guy in the video. Catalina 7s are great boats. They all have the stub keel, it’s a huge safety feature. Almost all the trailer yachts are from the 70s/early 80s, most were very well built and the hulls will outlast all of us. For your initial brief almost any trailer yacht will be suitable provided it’s over say 20 ft to fit everyone. The Cat7 will happily go further once you are ready. The NZTYA page has reviews on tons of models so scroll through that stuff. Depending on budget the noelex 25 might be suitable aswell? There are newer trailer yachts such as the Ross780s or Elliott 7.4s. (Arguably not learner boats) But I’m biased to the Cat7... check out the Catalina 7 owners Facebook group some good real info on there, welcome to ask questions on there.

Trailers are a huge part of the costs so find one with a good trailer, especially as you will likely be towing regularly? Also find one that’s being used regularly. New Plymouth sailers often join BOPTYS club at Lake Rotoiti and keep them at the compound mast up storage. Beautiful area and super friendly helpful club.

Hey KF figured you would be of some assistance! Cheers mate, yeah the Cat 7 certainly fits our criteria and I reckon would more than do the job as you say. Yeah I am thinking we may end up looking for somewhere mid island around the lakes or Hamilton to store as that is where all of our initial sailing will be done (Lakes, Coromandel etc) so would reduce amount of towing time. What sort of costs are involved in storing in a secure yard?

With trailers how do you go with the brakes? I assume they go under water during launch? I figure a braked double axle trailer is a good thing but just not sure about the brakes in salt water. Towing with a 2.5L Nissan Navara 2WD Diesel.  

Found this one on TM that looks pretty tidy?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=2476922367

Cheers :-)

Very tidy boat indeed, old motor and cable brakes, otherwise certainly worth the trip up to check it out. Message me if you want to see the Hamilton one on way past aswell, I can arrange it.

Club compound prices best to call them, but ball park 5-700 ish per annum (including club fees etc)

Yes brakes get wet, very wet,but you do need them. in salt you want to rinse immediately every time after launch and retrieve. compounds generally have hoses. If storing at a compound and you can remove them it’s a bonus.

I tow with a 2wd 3lt Hilux no problem at all, occasionally minor spin on a wet ramp otherwise all good.

• Upvote 1

Hi There are a few Taranki refugees with the BOPTYS at Lake Rotoiti. We may have 2-3 Catalinas in the compound, if you want to ses several at once, not aware any are for sale.

Cheers eruptn :thumbup: . Rotoiti will be first on the hit list once we get a craft. 

Don't be in a huge hurry - and watch out for the "starry eyed" syndrome. 

Take a knowledgeable person along with you to look at the boat. 

When you are in love (with either boat or woman), It's hard to be sufficiently skeptical 

don't ask me how I know - re boat, that is. I got a great deal on a woman.