Crayfish to returned to the sea

At first read of this article I thought great - crayfish stocks might catch a break:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12306199&&ref=recommended

But read on - Stuart Nash has been asked to allow them to carry there entitlements forward - the cynic in me thinks there will be those who will say they returned there catch but didn't and carry over the entitlements.

• Upvote 1

(A)  best option??

Dear Stakeholders
Fisheries New Zealand is seeking feedback on a whether to enable uncaught rock lobster commercial Annual Catch Entitlement (ACE) to be carried forward into the next fishing year (which begins 1 April 2020).
Submissions are open until 12pm on 24 February 2020.
Tell us what you think about the 3 options
The 3 options that we are consulting on are:
A. Retaining the status quo: Making no changes to the Act, and not enabling rock lobster ACE carry forward; or
B. Enabling carry forward of up to 10% of the total rock lobster ACE, if uncaught by individual fishers; or
C. In addition to option B, also enabling the one-off carry forward of all uncaught rock lobster ACE, beyond 10%
Consultation document
Whether to enable Annual Catch Entitlement carry forward for rock lobster [PDF, 1 MB]
Reasons for this consultation
The outbreak of the novel Coronavirus has led to the collapse of demand for live rock lobster in the Chinese market, during the Chinese New Year period. This is typically a period of high live rock lobster demand and high prices. China is the leading export market for live New Zealand rock lobster, accounting for 98% to 99% of all exports.
It is uncertain how long low demand for Chinese exports will continue, or whether the industry will be able to find alternative markets before the end of the fishing year.
For most other species managed within the Quota Management System, ACE holders are able to carry forward up to 10% of their individual total ACE holdings that may not have been caught by the end of the fishing year. However, for all rock lobster stocks no uncaught ACE can be carried forward under the current rules.
There is an opportunity to provide relief to rock lobster fishers highly exposed to the unexpected market impacts of the Coronavirus outbreak, without creating sustainability risks, in conjunction with measures they can take themselves. Enabling ACE carry forward would allow for fishers to defer the catch of rock lobster to the next fishing year, when export markets for live rock lobster are likely to have improved.
Making your submission
Email your feedback on the consultation document by 12pm on 24 February 2020 to FMsubmissions@mpi.govt.nz
In your submission, include:

• the title of the consultation document
  • your name and title
  • your organisation's name (if you are submitting on behalf of an organisation, and whether your submission represents the whole organisation or a section of it)
  • your contact details (such as phone number, address, and email).

While we prefer email, you can send your submission by post to:
Inshore Fisheries Management
Fisheries New Zealand
PO Box 2526
Wellington 6140
New Zealand.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
FM Submissions

Fisheries Management | Fisheries New Zealand – Tini a Tangaroa 
Charles Ferguson Tower | PO Box 2526 | Wellington | New Zealand

Yes an interesting subject. I too have taken crays over the years, but in recent years have turned away from it. I have always heard the older guys talking about the good ol days when crays were so dense around our coast you had to push all the small/medium ones aside to get to the big ones. They used to fill bag after bag as there was no limit at the time.

I have kids now and I would love for them to have an opportunity to even see some crays one day. I do a lot of sea kayaking and it is literally like some type of skills test out there trying to dodge all the cray pots and lines! 

Even in my lifetime I have seen a noticeable decline in cray numbers and a huge increase in fishers. Where I used to snorkel for crays in a few metres of water it is now riddled with pots and the crays have gone bar a few very small ones :-(

Nowadays I am happy with kayaking and sailing and taking very little, maybe a pane or two for dinner, I think we need to change our ways.

• Upvote 5

slightly related I guess, but seems to be applicable across the board.

fill in the missing bit....

"....when I sat there one day and I thought; 'what I'm listening to is a whole bunch of chick scientists' - and if you really looked at the view that they were pitching - [it] was everybody in New Zealand should not shave their armpits, they should wear dreadlocks, and when they go ________ing they should do it in jandals only. And after they catch one patty for tea they should sit down hold hands and sing kumbaya. That was the feeling I got."

:)

Haven't read any of your stuff but promoting misogynistic attitudes aint going to help the situation.

If you mean " too little to late" and nobody with any courage in the ministry of fisheries, (ie no one with balls)

then why don't you say so instead of clouding it with innuendo

You going to pee off the commercial sector when they tip $10 million in to your pockets.Now who is the National party president and his interest in Sanfords are???getting the picture!

• Upvote 1

Having dived Great Barrier at the same spots for 40 years, without cleaning them out, there are still plenty out there this year.

In closer, different story.

However it seems the limits will change in a month or so.

https://legasea.co.nz/2020/02/25/dont-get-caught-out-on-april-fools-day/?fbclid=IwAR2smVVr_0iOc2NF_sIltFLy_y2qaomGIgqHQgGoTribiOp6iO0zXTMnQ_s

don't get your y fronts in a twist lateral . I was off topic I know but i thought it was funny.

Likening my poorly timed sense of humour to promoting misogynistic attitudes is slightly OTT in my view, but that's only my opinion. 

Chill out dude.

You going to pee off the commercial sector when they tip $10 million in to your pockets.Now who is the National party president and his interest in Sanfords are???getting the picture!

Or NZ first and Talleys ?

And National if your post is correct is only going to devote $5m a per year, nation wide to clean only not prevent plastic and micro plastic contamination. What will $5m do? Would not purify Auckland harbour, Waitemata harbour Hauraki Gulf waters.

Meanwhile a new challenge for the Whitford Estuaries Conservation Society, which will likely be fought in the courts.

So plenty of challenges to protect and improve the Gulf waters.

Challenging the Auckland City Council’s recent consent variation allowing treated wastewater to be discharged directly into the Turanga River from a new subdivision adjacent to the Whitford Park Golf Club. This council decision goes against the mood of the nation in general and the Auckland Council in particular (as it’s commitment to clean up and improve our waterways).  A challenge to the Auckland Council on this decision has been initiated.