A few days in Whangaruru

This summer we've spent some time exploring the places along the Northland coast that previously we've just raced past in the night doing the coastal. Last week we spent some time in Whangaruru and what an absolute gem of a place it is, great weather, lovely beaches and unlike the BOI hardly a soul about. 

Of course, I had to do a little flying, so here's a few scenes and views across the harbour from Saturday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6WVXf5-vCk

• Upvote 6

Been in whangaruru a few times,lovely place,up towards the head of the harbour is a great pipi bed,went ashore to collect and met by an od lady asked what we were doing,told her and she said to early come up to the house for a cuppa,she explained the best way to collect,wait till tide starts coming in and they come up out of the sand and the walk ashore so need to dig,she was correct then she point down towards the DOC camp and said if you want gurnard thats the place to fish,correct again.

Hope stopped at Mimiwhangata on the way out another DOC area well worth the ramble ashore.

Working the shoreline towards Whangmumu is rewarding as well ,only real obstacle is danger rock

• Upvote 1
On 16/02/2020 at 7:01 AM, harrytom said:

Been in whangaruru a few times,lovely place,up towards the head of the harbour is a great pipi bed,went ashore to collect and met by an od lady asked what we were doing,told her and she said to early come up to the house for a cuppa,she explained the best way to collect,wait till tide starts coming in and they come up out of the sand and the walk ashore so need to dig,she was correct then she point down towards the DOC camp and said if you want gurnard thats the place to fish,correct again.

Hope stopped at Mimiwhangata on the way out another DOC area well worth the ramble ashore.

Working the shoreline towards Whangmumu is rewarding as well ,only real obstacle is danger rock

Hiya, anyone got clues as to where the Pipi bed is?

Looks like we might be in Whangaruru for a few days.

9 minutes ago, Bad Kitty said:

Hiya, anyone got clues as to where the Pipi bed is?

Looks like we might be in Whangaruru for a few days.

right up the top of the harbour,use to be a solitary house,so at low tide directly in front was the bed,bloody shallow,,as you come down harbour port hand side,doc camp?? use to be a good gurnard spot.

The top bay is called Te Pipi bay after all, reasonable depth if you stay near the channel, though it is not as deep as it used to be. The harbour depths altered quite radically after one of the Chilean (I think) earth quakes a few years ago and the subsequent Tsunami, it hasn't yet gone back to the way it was. it shallows of to STB as you enter it. Good for C/boarders, but not  the average 6' keel on most of the older NZ designs. I anchor well in and have had the 6 footers think that if I am anchored there they can too, not realising I am a C/boarder. Boards up I only draw 3'   A wonderful harbour, that I think is as good as anywhere in the BoI, I rarely go past it. Easterly and South Easterly swells can be felt but they have never been anything like as annoying as they can be at Whangamumu.