Best 40' yacht...

18 hours ago, Rafin said:

I've got a 2005 Beneteau First 40.7 I reckon would meet your criteria. It's been to Fiji twice, my wife and I sail it easily, not sure about 6'4" headroom but 6'2" son wanders around inside no trouble. If you are in Tauranga and interested in having a look to see what one looks like you are welcome to.

To racey a cockpit for me.

Need more open, twin wheel, open transom.

Nice boats. Is yours Northern rebel?

On 7/04/2020 at 7:39 AM, Priscilla II said:

Is the 40ft requirement driven by marina size cost and availability?

Whats your budget.

On TradeMe Beale 42ft minter.

AE096424-3C4D-4558-BC36-0BDCB9811305.jpeg

Can't find this in trademe. Any link?

On 7/04/2020 at 9:29 AM, Sparky said:

17 years into my ownership of her and never touched the hull, for any repair or maintenance that I can recall, mind you I am old too (70.s) and may be suffering from some memory loss.

OOOooooops, and Apology,   Memory lapse,  forgot about the new stern due to some rot in ply caused by poorly fitted back stay plate, 

New Stern (1).JPG

• Like 1

Well it was minor, a small local area of rot near the top of the transom beneath the backstay chain plate,  but what the hell rip it all off and replace with new laminated transom just to be sure.  Turned out not to be too major.  None of the rot had migrated to the structural bits and bobs.

Sailing NZ, you could always cruis-ify one of the glass racers that is struggling to sell. Plenty of space for you in Starlight Express, and plenty of speed in the Elliott, Prowler.  Both have to be pretty negotiable given time on the market and COVID.

I’ve been following this thread. One day I’d like to own something similar to those Beales on TM.  I’m interested to hear what you think of boats like the Townson 47 also on TM? Would that be in the same league? Anyone familiar with that boat? 

43 minutes ago, Tamure said:

Pretty sure that Townson has circumnavigated and a build like that will never be repeated in NZ. A high water mark for timber construction.

that Townson unfortunately has some problems which is reflected in its price. It is being advertised as built by Barry Jones, this is not strictly correct, Barry finished it off  - the hull was built by others, all as described in Brian Peet's book about Des.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Dan_ger said:

I’ve been following this thread. One day I’d like to own something similar to those Beales on TM.  I’m interested to hear what you think of boats like the Townson 47 also on TM? Would that be in the same league? Anyone familiar with that boat? 

This boat, Balvenie, features in Brain Peet's book Des Townson, A Sailing Legacy, pages 258, 259. Includes original plan, layout and hull shape, and design characteristics

The boat was reviewed in Boating magazines Oct 1991 issue.

LOA 13.9m

LWL 11.55m

Beam 4.06m

Draft 2.27m

Disp. 12,220 kg

Ballast 5,200 kg

Sail Area 84 m2

Prismatic Coefficient 50.8%

Long. centre of bouyancy 53.3%

Disp. Length Ratio 220

"Hardening up on the wind, the Townson 47 is a powerful yacht. Despite the size of the rig - larger than that of a Ross 40 - Balvenie is able to carry full main and #2 genoa into the brisk north-easterly (20-25 knts, off Rangitoto). The yacht simple to manage - a real must aboard a long-range cruiser"

Sounds like a great yacht, with a real pedigree. At that price looks like a good buy, but at 30 yrs old would need a good once over to find issues that marinheiro alludes to. They don't build them like that anymore, that is for sure. You would hope that the price reflects what needs replacing or re-fitting on it. If I were looking for a bigger boat, this one would be first on my list to check out, and not just because I have a taste for single malts... a comfortable centre cockpit, trans - ocean cruiser at a reasonable size, and comfortable life aboard.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tamure said:

Id say the price reflects the depressed state of the boat market and competition from AWB's. Townson 3 skin boats are pretty  bulletproof. 

depends what timber was used in the construction of the hull

• Like 1

I will just repeat my closing comment to Dan_Ger in a PM - Caveat Emptor.

In the case of Balvenie a prospective buyer needs to have the survey undertaken by a surveyor very experienced in this type of construction.

• Like 1

Agree with Tamure. 

I had a 33 footer surveyed by a very well know surveyor who called me 1/2 way thru the survey and told me not to waste any more money on completing the survey - he wouldn't take the boat out in a bath!

The boat was subsequently bought by another guy who got it surveyed by a different surveyor who said it was fine.

And the surveys were 9 years ago...............I see the yacht wandering around the Hauraki Gulf all the time - the owner says he's had no problems with her.

I guess it depends on a lot of variables, and your appetite for junk. We only use 2 surveyors, 1 who's pretty tough, and the 2nd is even more discerning.

We have to buy boats for various projects, some very demanding, some pretty straightforward. But I'd rather have someone with a critical eye than a Surveyor with low standards. Even being tough on things we still get a nasty surprise now & then. And when you're caught out in 50 knots one day with a hard day upwind getting the sh*t kicked out of you, do you really want to be wondering about your boat?

They rarely fall apart, but ………………………….