Best 40' yacht...

Kiwi Breeze is in a 12m berth at GH Village - just along from my house. He made the bowsprit fold up. Fits in, JUST. She is a nice example of her type, but once into that price range there are lots of options - maybe even this https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-2440876593.htm?rsqid=afc5575475ba423ebc795c3991151a3c-003 but not in that berth!

43 minutes ago, Priscilla II said:

No rocket ship but pretty well sorted.

Considering the local vigorous prevailing SW 110 hp yanmar will see you right.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/trade-me-motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-2553078000.htm1DAA57D3-4352-4EA6-9BD7-17DA410DA077.png

Nice setup good kit and we'll sorted. But timber Glassed I presume. Thanks

8 minutes ago, Priscilla II said:

You get what you pay for.

Space doesn’t come cheap but sort your priorities.

What have you shortlisted post it and take advantage of this forums wisdom.

Thought I had?...  40', $250k, 6'4" headroom in saloon and shower. Big double grunter, GRP, fast cruiser, offshore capable, the rest of my list I can add.

12 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Kiwi Breeze is in a 12m berth at GH Village - just along from my house. He made the bowsprit fold up. Fits in, JUST. She is a nice example of her type, but once into that price range there are lots of options - maybe even this https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-2440876593.htm?rsqid=afc5575475ba423ebc795c3991151a3c-003 but not in that berth!

I wish... Dollars a bit high for me.

11 hours ago, Island Time said:

My Neighbour has one of those, Kiwi Breeze. She sails pretty well for what she is, but significantly slower than the Bene 1st OR the 1220... HUGE interior and cockpit for her size, must be 2x that of the 1220...

The one in the advert says its 13m? So more like 43ft? Would explain why she's roomier...

1 hour ago, raz88 said:

The one in the advert says its 13m? So more like 43ft? Would explain why she's roomier...

There are 2 versions, the original Kiwi Breeze, Polly and others at 12m, and then the stretched version at 13m, Business First and the one on trademe (rather overpriced in my view)

Agree Hanses are also a good option and probably the top sailing performer amongst the Euro ‘plastic fantastics’. But I’ve rejected a couple of used ones that didn’t seem to have withstood the test of time so well. And I gather most of the big charter operators found they suffered much worse wear & tear than the Ben/Jen/Bav boats under heavy charter use so they’ve mostly stopped buying them.

Out of interest what price would you guys

20 hours ago, maharg said:

My vote would be a Hanse 400. I am 6'4" and have great headroom in mine. They are built extremely well and are certified to ISO Category A “Offshore”. Very easy to sail single handed with self tacking jib, but also very good performance.

More info here https://www.practical-sailor.com/sailboat-reviews/used_sailboats/hanse-400-boat-review

I like the new Hanse's. Big boats.

Out of interest What price would you guys put on the Dickson if you were going to buy it?

Sailing NZ, I note your initial post talked about "fast" "liveaboard" and "offshore". These are quite diverse requirements and you need to have a think about how you weight each of the 3. 

What are you thinking in terms of liveaboard and offshore? If it is just gulf cruising and an occasional winter circuit of the islands for 5-6 mths, which is really "camping on board", then a lighter production yacht is ok (altho none of the European AWB's do much for me). But if you are thinking serious offshore miles and full time liveaboard then the reality is you will be carrying alot of stuff and need a heavier displacement boat to do so. Have a look at Peter Smith's Kiwi Roa, all the fibreglass 12m boats would sail rings around her but even their 15m brethren would sink under the load she carries

https://www.petersmith.net.nz/about/kiwiroa.php

Like everything yacht selection is a compromise. You have said one priority is headroom and hence sleeping berth size, have a think about what you really want to do with this yacht

Another nice yacht off Trademe to consider https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/auction-2329520188.htm?rsqid=87e8338449034d2d82b934432648b8a1-003

he has dropped his price $80k over the last 12 mths.

The Dickson is a lovely boat and heaps of room/ headroom

in the current market it’s probably low 3s but definitely worth a look

it will do Tonga in 6 days where most 40s will be looking at 8ish

doesn’t sound much difference but if you consider forecasting being good for about 4 days then in the Dickson your in the trades or approaching Minerva, where as a 40 your only halfway there

if your thinking a mooring I’d seriously consider, the guys that built it have been wanting to sell for a while, it is an orphan so you would want to own it for some time.

Just because I'm bored, and recalled this thread, I measured the headroom. 6 ft 3 in saloon, (1.915m) about  6ft 1 in fwd head and cabin. 1988 Farr Phase 4.....

Bunks are all 2m long.

On a boat 11.97 m on deck,  12.8m overall.

If you don't mind a little bit bigger , faster, and just a wee bit more expensive, then how about this?

It has your headroom and will certainly go to windward faster than a slow...or fast...cruiser.

Actually they're probably going cheap at the moment.....

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Zozza said:

If you don't mind a little bit bigger , faster, and just a wee bit more expensive, then how about this?

It has your headroom and will certainly go to windward faster than a slow...or fast...cruiser.

Actually they're probably going cheap at the moment.....

image.jpeg

The fuel bill might be a bit tight on the budget. But otherwise... 🤙👌

• Like 1