Replace frontrunner in cabin with?

So we've got front runner in two cabins, which I've grown to hate, who's got any goods ideas on a replacement?

It's not faired that well under the frontrunner, but I guess we could revisit that. Or ?

Thanks, and remember, we're nearly there now, only 7 weeks 6 days to go!

I hate the stuff but I recommend tear off and replace at about 5 years before any mould etc can start to colonise.  The old glue on the boat is the issue.

Easiest  is tear it down and just put up more of the same.The 5kg canister spray glues I use are not that horrible inside a boat. 

You saw what i went thru got get the VB interior fur-free and glossy painted inside, major improvement but hours, and hours, and hours. 

The new stuff is water based, low pressure, no odour, and probably both vegan and gluten free but not cheap . Smelliest thing about interior linings is the person that is next to you helping get it all stuck to the surfaces before the glue tacks off. 

4 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Stainless chain?  Or couldn't that happen without added fur lined handcuffs and leather ware ;)

By the time we get parole, assuming we do, your bling will be sailing down the northland coast. We did manage to get it out of Italy with 8hrs to spare before they went into full lockdown.

Have you sussed some of the new vinyl, for lack of knowing it's proper name, like coverings?  I saw some not long ago that were sort of like suede finish but you could wash it with a hose. That could come up well done nicely.

Yeah was thinking of a vinyl sort of thing maybe, a bit thicker or on a thin backing maybe to help cover the lack of fairing?

Still waiting for a clever boat interior finisher to pop up & solve me dilemma for me!

4 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Stainless chain?  Or couldn't that happen without added fur lined handcuffs and leather ware ;)

By the time we get parole, assuming we do, your bling will be sailing down the northland coast. We did manage to get it out of Italy with 8hrs to spare before they went into full lockdown.

Have you sussed some of the new vinyl, for lack of knowing it's proper name, like coverings?  I saw some not long ago that were sort of like suede finish but you could wash it with a hose. That could come up well done nicely.

And yes, stainless chain please! Look forward to catching up, 

17 hours ago, Bad Kitty said:

Yeah was thinking of a vinyl sort of thing maybe, a bit thicker or on a thin backing maybe to help cover the lack of fairing?

Still waiting for a clever boat interior finisher to pop up & solve me dilemma for me!

What you are describing is more or less an automotive headlining material. Typically a textured vinyl fabric bonded to a layer of foam 2-3mm thick. I have a bloody big carton of swatches in the workshop, if I find some spare time I will have a dig through and see what I can find. 

I have Farr 1020

A couple of years ago I to remove the front runner from the boat, finished up with plywood liner and a glue mess,.

I then preceded to make panels that spanned across the full cabin ceiling and have them covered in vynal. This finished up a really nice job.

The process 

1/ I set out the panels to suit the width of the vynal and the position of any posts, or hatches, I started from the galley posts working forward, also to suit sheet of plywood, in this case they finish up approximately 550mm wide,

2/ Having clean up the ceiling as best I could,

3/ Using heavy brown paper, the type floor layer use, I made 550mm wide patterns, taping it to the ceiling making sure you start parallel to the bulkheads and scribing the ends,

4/ I purchased 6mm plywood, which has a thick core that runs across the sheet, this makes it easier to bend to the curve of the cabin top.

5/ I then laid the pattern on the paper and cut the first sheet.

6/  I then fitted the panel into the boat holding them up by propping it up off the floor, you need a few props, as you must push the sheets up all the way across 

7/  Then progressively making a pattern cutting the plywood and fitting each panel inside the boat, scribing the ends and side to match the previous sheet, the cabin top the curve changes and getting tighter as you go forward.

8/ You need to allow 4-5mm clearance on the sheets ends and a 3mm space between sheets.

9/ Once you have fitted all the sheets, sanded the edges and give them and small round.

10/ This is where I cheated as I took the panels to the local upholsterer in Gulf Harbour where he covered the panels with 3mm foam sheets and then rapped them in vynal 

The finished lookes great a slightly padded vynal panel.

It was at the upholsterer recommendation I used 6mm plywood as he wanted wrapped the vynal around the edges to and use 100s of staples to fix on the back. Apparently you can not get shorter staples the 6mm. 

The sheets are secured in place using industrial valcro stapled along all the edges of the panels and to the underside of the old plywood ceiling to match.

It is a fiddly job but well worth the effort, having been a carpentry joiner a past lifeCeiling panels.msg helped.

One of the benefits with the above system is that your can remove the panels to get to any bolts fixing turning blocks and deck gear.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1