On the bright side - Next project

With all the doom and gloom about Covid I thought it would be nice to have a thread to lighten the mood.

What are peoples next boat project?

We have a stackpack being built which I am super looking forward to since I am a lazy sailor and often just use the furling gib.

What are mods & improvements are next on everyones list?

This was finished on weds afternoon before the lockdown . It’s staying at the loft until I can pick up 😫 . Doing my head in , but at least I will have a very good reason to go sailing immediately the minute I’m allowed to .

24D41699-F356-42C9-8439-D7EA33C4152F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
1 minute ago, 44forty said:

This was finished on weds afternoon before the lockdown . It’s staying at the loft until I can pick up 😫 . Doing my head in , but at least I will have a very good reason to go sailing immediately the minute I’m allowed to .

24D41699-F356-42C9-8439-D7EA33C4152F.jpeg

That looks real nice. What sort of yacht is it for?

This one . It’s a Shaw 750 T . The old mainsail was not made for the boat it is a 2nd hand one off animal biscuits which is a 750 sport . Old main has had a long life of probably 8-10 years at a guess and is totally rooted .

New sail in the pic was built at UK sails in Fongaray by Phizzle and probably some help from Wal too . Cloth is DP PX black line 20 I think ? Bit heavier than needed but it will last a good while in that weight 

5795B464-EA3B-4CF8-A9D2-C91977636A5C.png

• Like 1

FE628A8A-9FE3-4986-B184-A92B9018AA1A.jpegWill post this here seeing5E2D6D0D-4C0B-4E5B-B6C2-78F45DC48D33.jpegCD175D69-21A8-4180-BD15-8B94AD0BF2CD.jpeg39AA1A4C-64B1-48C4-88C9-87C984C6C881.jpegas it’s going on right now in a backyard up here (pity the neighbours ) 

it’s an Elliot 650 that’s been stretched to 7.5 metres , maximum beam carried aft , bit a bottom booty job in the aft sections and cabin lopped off in favour of a turtle deck .

New rig is a blank carbon  melges section with homemade carbon spreaders made in two parts in molds . The standing rigging is going to be quite radical by the sounds of it and will be made at home too , in very exotic materials sourced from some very exotic locations .

the pics are from a couple of weeks ago . Hull is now flipped and the dust is flying as we speak . The builder is too busy to post on Internet forums so I’m doing it on their behalf . I won’t mention any names but I’m sure a few on here will guess pretty quickly who the builder is .

8D1AE029-D125-4A94-A0B2-6BE51C899A9D.jpeg

Just about finished a jump ramp for grandson for practicing trail riding/pushbike jumps on.

Next - finish nesting dinghy I started 10 months ago........

plus I 'inherited' a kitset pram dinghy that's been lying in a garage since 1979! 

If you've got any back copies of Sea Spray it's on page 62 of June 1979 edition :) A Jim Young design.

Just hope the epoxy supplies last..............

IMG_5949.JPG

Hmm, I think we had a melges 24 section in High-n-Fibre and its a lot bigger than the sections they used in the Shaw 650s. I don't think a shaw 650 bulb will be heavy enough to make it self righting.

Well done 44Fourty on the Route 66 race. Third mono over the line is awesome for a little boat. We were 5th on line in High-n-Fibre (Vickers 7m) in 2013. 

The Motorboat II has now been passed over to the new owners and I'm just busy trying to keep my flotilla of kids boats afloat. 

We had all 3 Optis, and one of the sunbursts out yesterday for some family racing out front of the house, starling still in the shed getting a rebuild and another racing sunburst sitting on the lawn ready for some attention. 

But I am very close to pushing the button on another keelboat racing project.....

20200329_111758.jpg

20200329_111856.jpg

2 hours ago, Adrianp said:

Hmm, I think we had a melges 24 section in High-n-Fibre and its a lot bigger than the sections they used in the Shaw 650s. I don't think a shaw 650 bulb will be heavy enough to make it self righting.

Well done 44Fourty on the Route 66 race. Third mono over the line is awesome for a little boat. We were 5th on line in High-n-Fibre (Vickers 7m) in 2013. 

Yeah I hear you and told the builder the bulb on 44forty is 300kg but he’s a go big or go home battle axe from the 90s . The cockpit is massive so I’m sure it will have 5 to 6 crew . He usually has 4 or 5 in the E 6.5 .

thanks Adrian , it just happened to be the perfect angle for the boat and it was a case of point and shoot . Boat did all the work and was amazing it just kept on tracking even when things got hairy In the late stages the helm stayed light and positive . All credit to Mr Shaw for designing well balanced rockets .

1 hour ago, B00B00 said:

The Motorboat II has now been passed over to the new owners and I'm just busy trying to keep my flotilla of kids boats afloat. 

We had all 3 Optis, and one of the sunbursts out yesterday for some family racing out front of the house, starling still in the shed getting a rebuild and another racing sunburst sitting on the lawn ready for some attention. 

But I am very close to pushing the button on another keelboat racing project.....

20200329_111758.jpg

20200329_111856.jpg

Looks bloody lovely !  I’m going into overdrive running thru a list of probable turbo worthy keelers on T Me and yachthub ....only a few available wonder which one it is ? ? 

17 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

We have 13 sheets of 15mm ply 2700mm x 525mm, a pile of 4x2, a nail gun and a shitload of no more nails.

We are thinking a small landing barge like craft.

Hey knot me did you launch your 930 while you were gone ?