Marina Fees During lock down

Has anyone thought that there may be some fee/rent relief during the lock down, particularly if it goes on for more than 4 weeks? particularly where your access/ use has been materially altered? or is this covered by force majeure?

Ahhh McDonalds.

Last week they campaigned hard to stay open...........

Then the government announced their wage subsidy - McDonalds employ 9000 staff in NZ, lets say 6000 of them are near or close to the minimum wage. On those 6000 alone McDonald’s will get $42m under the governments wage subsidy scheme if they suddenly rostered all those people to work 20 hours a week. However if the shutdown only lasts 4 weeks, they only have to pay those workers 80% (16 hours at $18.90) so their total cost is a bit over $7m. $35m for 4 weeks. The day the lockdown ends McDonalds with be back at 120% of strength. So they were happy to close

Then on Friday the government said that you you have to pass on all the money you get to your employees, damn, the bubble bursts, next thing McDonalds is begging with their landlords to reduce their rent. Always looking after themselves and screw the rest of the world

Might depend on the marina . Sounds like some have stepped up security to keep owners and undesirables out . Judging by the odd gamefishing boat on the horizon here over the last few days some marinas might be hands off 

The lack of silence from Marinas is amazing.  I'd suggest that given there is no access, there should at least be a rental reduction.  I'm also interested in the insurance situation given lack of access to check and insure your yacht is safe?  What if it sank due to a leak and bilge pump failure?  

I have a friend who's brand new battery bank will be overcharging as he's just installed Lithium batteries and left the solar on them without a regulator as he was expecting to get back to the boat in time but was not able to.  Who covers that cost?  Is it the same all over the Country with access, have marinas locked boat owners out? 

Westhaven Marina says this:

- Westhaven Marina is now closed to any non-essential services
 - Unless essential, you should be staying at home as directed by the government
 - There will be no restrictions to marina access, but we ask you carefully consider the above points before coming to Westhaven Marina
 - We will be operating remotely via phone and email. 
 - Security staff are an essential service and will continue to patrol Westhaven Marina. They will keep an eye on all vessels and respond to any issues that arise at the marina.
 - Why you can’t self-isolate on your vessel within Westhaven Marina:
   The risk to others is too great. Even the simple task of touching the keypad or gate to get on or off the pier puts other users at risk.
   If you were to self-isolate for 14 days or more within the marina, you would be needing to use public facilities e.g. bathroom, laundry etc.
 - Can I self-isolate on my boat outside of Westhaven Marina?
   Yes, you can self-isolate for 14 days on board your vessel out at sea or moored off the coast of New Zealand.

4 hours ago, Puff said:

Ahhh McDonalds.

Last week they campaigned hard to stay open...........

Then the government announced their wage subsidy - McDonalds employ 9000 staff in NZ, lets say 6000 of them are near or close to the minimum wage. On those 6000 alone McDonald’s will get $42m under the governments wage subsidy scheme if they suddenly rostered all those people to work 20 hours a week. However if the shutdown only lasts 4 weeks, they only have to pay those workers 80% (16 hours at $18.90) so their total cost is a bit over $7m. $35m for 4 weeks. The day the lockdown ends McDonalds with be back at 120% of strength. So they were happy to close

Then on Friday the government said that you you have to pass on all the money you get to your employees, damn, the bubble bursts, next thing McDonalds is begging with their landlords to reduce their rent. Always looking after themselves and screw the rest of the world

So wrong there about Mcds,most stores are franchise owned,very few company stores,they were going to close dining in and have drive thru only,this was proposed before L4 came in to play.I deliver to them,They were deemed unessential,Aussie still have drive thrus open in some states.Its a risk though.All you need is some A hole to spit at server and its away Covid 19 that is.

Mdcs head office is the landlord in most cases.The franchisee basically pays a % to head office and is responsible for the rest,wages equipment etc

Mds is not about hamburgers unless you are the franchisee,they are the worlds largest real estate company,might want to watch the documentary sometime. been involved with them for almost 20yrs now.

1 hour ago, harrytom said:

So wrong there about Mcds,most stores are franchise owned,

Yes I'm well aware of the franchise model for Mcd's and other ones such as Foodstuffs. In instances I've helped create them. I meant the group as a whole including the franchisees. Who I repeat, stood to make good money out of a 4 week shutdown. Even more if they could have kept the drive through going because they could justify the 30% reduction in turnover, keep money coming in for the rent and still pick up the subsidy for every kid they rostered for work far in excess of the cost of employing them. And those kids didn't even have to be doing anything. They could have filled the empty restaurant with them playing cards. They could have been getting $50 a week and the franchisee picking up $4200 for every one. Almost doubt that for full timers

19 hours ago, southernman said:

I have a friend who's brand new battery bank will be overcharging as he's just installed Lithium batteries and left the solar on them without a regulator as he was expecting to get back to the boat in time but was not able to. 

That was not a good idea even if he could get back to the boat.    I hope they are a sealed pack with inbuilt BMS with hi voltage disconnect,  if thats the case they should be fine.   It they are individual cells,  like a prismatic.  They will be likely toast and that will have to be chalked up as experience unless his insurance company is dumb. 

3 hours ago, mcp said:

That was not a good idea even if he could get back to the boat.    I hope they are a sealed pack with inbuilt BMS with hi voltage disconnect,  if thats the case they should be fine.   It they are individual cells,  like a prismatic.  They will be likely toast and that will have to be chalked up as experience unless his insurance company is dumb. 

Probably right!  Point is he's pissed about the very short notice on closure.  Anyhow it's sorted now as he's been able to remotely access the boat via wifi from the carpark and turn things off apparently.  Be interesting to see if berth holders can get rental relief due to no access.  

Not sure how legal it is, for the marina to deny you access to your boat if they are charging you.

Either- close the marina and give a reduction in fees, or - leave the marina open with appropriate conditions:

viz: you can only visit your boat on the marina if you have a] a mask b] gloves, and c] alcohol wipes for the gates and the keypads.

This particularly as there are plenty of liveaboards permanently on the marina.

Of course, this would only apply to those who live within walking distance of the marina anyway, with the current only essential driving restrictions.

Westhaven is not locked down.  I was just down on my boat.  You probably got the same confused courtesy call I got a couple of days ago.  It went like, Hi, this is a courtesy call from Westhaven, have you checked your boat lately? No I said, is something wrong with it? No we just wondered if you had checked it? Has something happened to it? No, no, but we can check it if you want.  Thats okay, I can walk there in 5 minutes.  We really dont want people coming here they said.  Thats fine I said, I will check it myself.

Gavin Somers runs a fishing charter company in Auckland's Waitematā Harbour.

His business, Snapper Fishing Charters, started dwindling about a month before the lockdown was announced, and now it is on ice.

On top of this, Westhaven Marina, run by Auckland Council's Panuku Development, was still charging them nearly $1500 in rent a month and would not offer a rent holiday, he said.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12321234