Covid 19 and liveaboards

The usual congregation hotspots are obviously closed (KBC and Bon Accord cafe) and so with so much private land relatively few beaches I’d have thought there is plenty of opportunity for locals to avoid boaties (by keeping away from the sheltered beaches)?

54 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

Rumour mill now tells me the big customs boat will be patrolling harbour and gulf for the next 7 days looking for rule breakers.

Interesting. Wonder how they’ll define ‘rule-breakers’?

In the narrowest sense it’s anyone who read the notice that said “no leisure boating activities” whilst they were on land but then packed up and went afloat anyway.

But assuming that ship has sailed - pardon the deliberate pun - how will define rule-breaking now? Anyone who has moved anchorage one day to the next (without a howling gale making it necessary)? Anyone who goes for a walk ashore and talks to another walker???

From my contact:

Ranger at mansion house had a tantrum and kicked everyone out of the bay and wouldn't allow anyone ashore. And apparently some boats have been yelled at when coming ashore. Someone got chased off the beach at south cove the other day. Locals have been talking about it on their kawau Facebook. Not bad I dont think but a few have cold reception to boats.

2 hours ago, Black Panther said:

From my contact:

Ranger at mansion house had a tantrum and kicked everyone out of the bay and wouldn't allow anyone ashore. And apparently some boats have been yelled at when coming ashore. Someone got chased off the beach at south cove the other day. Locals have been talking about it on their kawau Facebook. Not bad I dont think but a few have cold reception to boats.

Not surprised. Exactly as I said a few days ago the vast majority of boaties will not be able to withstand 4 weeks without stepping off the boat. Especially when the sunny sand is just a few 100m away and beckons. And the most popular (sheltered) all-weather anchoring spots have very few go ashore options creating bottlenecks and tensions. It happened at a Barrier and now at Kawau. Entirely predictable.

15 hours ago, ex TL systems said:

When we lived aboard in Australia we caught rain water. Never ran out or had to get water from shore. Around:200 litre storage and a lot simpler than a water maker. 

Yeah, when we were offshore we had water catching systems, but when I re-did some stuff back here I did not finish that bit, and the canvas water catcher is at home! Anyway, in our last big trip, a little under 3 years, we bought water twice. The rest was caught....

I didn't think I'd need it around here!

2 minutes ago, Island Time said:

Yeah, when we were offshore we had water catching systems, but when I re-did some stuff back here I did not finish that bit, and the canvas water catcher is at home! Anyway, in our last big trip, a little under 3 years, we bought water twice. The rest was caught....

I didn't think I'd need it around here!

If at Kawau,we use to take jerry cans up swansea bay(top of bon accord) go up the river at high tide and there is a little waterfall and fill the cans.More of a way to fill in time.Used drop the flounder net on way up.But you will be constrained by draft no doubt.

8 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Yes thanks, that's the stuff, Giardia.

When I first heard of it I thought they were talking about the Italian police but couldn't work out what cops from the other side of the world would be doing in a stream by Kaikohe :)

... Looking for covid19?..  or bypassing the traffic in the main Street😁😁😁🤙

Apparently the Police are doing the rounds at Kawau, politely but firmly telling boaties no moving anchorage, no sailing, no going ashore, no paddle-boarding and even no swimming. They're also taking a log of which boats are where. Despite the lovely weather, locking down at home still like the better option to me (especially as I've needed 2x unexpected emergency dental visits this week)!

Yes I am in touch with one or two at Kawau they are sitting tight except for going out to empty holding tank, plenty of tucker not sure about water though,

i can't for the life of me understand why police are telling individuals not to swim on the east coast as we are further apart than when walking past each other and if it is a part of our daily routine prior to all of this and we are walking to the beach on our own - just easy targets I guess the old grey haired swimmers.

I heard a couple of launches turned up at Pakatoa and went ashore for a walk. They were asked to leave, private island etc. A bit of a barney and the police were called. Both launches were fined, not sure for what exactly.