Vinyl Lettering

We were looking at Vinyl lettering on our transom, the camber of the transom is such that it faces the sun (there is probably a term for that) - but anyway the point is the sign writer said that in NZ UV the lettering would not last long, and needed to be on a vertical, or past vertical surface.

Anyone else heard this, or have experience to the contrary?

13 minutes ago, tuffyluffy said:

I had my boat sign-written with Vinyl lettering about 10 years ago - its still lookin great.

My counter stern faces north in the marina and cops the sun all day. Dark blue lettering on silver/grey. 

Ahhh - good to know. Thanks

Yeap, been a few years now but I was involved in the distribution of these films. I'm assuming you're looking at lettering cut from coloured vinyl as opposed to something being printed on white or clear vinyl.

High performance films were made from cast vinyl as opposed to calendered vinyl. Quite a different manufacturing technique and gave a film that was thinner, more flexible and more resistant to shrinkage.

It's true that the life expectancy ratings are based on a vertical surface but even so you should be fine with a good quality high performance cast vinyl. Over 90% of the boat names out there would be vinyl - either computer cut or digitally printed. 

When was the last time you saw an old hand doing lettering with a brush at a hardstand?

1 hour ago, Dagwood said:

Yeap, been a few years now but I was involved in the distribution of these films. I'm assuming you're looking at lettering cut from coloured vinyl as opposed to something being printed on white or clear vinyl.

High performance films were made from cast vinyl as opposed to calendered vinyl. Quite a different manufacturing technique and gave a film that was thinner, more flexible and more resistant to shrinkage.

It's true that the life expectancy ratings are based on a vertical surface but even so you should be fine with a good quality high performance cast vinyl. Over 90% of the boat names out there would be vinyl - either computer cut or digitally printed. 

When was the last time you saw an old hand doing lettering with a brush at a hardstand?

Dagwood - thanks for your insights, sounds like you have been in the industry. I finally found the correct word for what we have - a reverse counter transom. Do you care to reccomend anyone? Someone out East Auckland would be great.

Cheers,

Ours was done in 2001 and even though I don't own the boat anymore the signage is still top notch (on both sides). Got a good price on the shade of blue as it was "Foodtown Blue" and they just happened to have a lot in stock at the time ;-) Happy to see the signage has outlasted the supermarket brand.

20200224_151113.jpg