Boating now heavily restricted

Muppets NZ must be right up there with S**tless NZ.  

So you can go for a windsurf (presuambly because its got that other "s" word in it) but you can't go for a sail. 

I'm tellin' ya - we got do a whip round and get that guy Cummings down here from England!

38 minutes ago, SkyeWater said:

Maintenance is fine with me. However, the marina here needs to be opened again to berth owners. Not holding my breath on that.

I'm sure masks will be just fine!

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, wheels said:

The PM made it very clear in her speech yesterday that any on water activity is still banned, anything done on/from the shore is ok.

PM say all sorts of s**t that then changes 24 hours later so unless it's formally published, like everything else she's ever said since getting into power I place no credibility on the words that come out of her mouth.

• Upvote 2

imho

if you are allowed to paddle a kayak under level 3

fish from shore

row out to a moored boat 

of course you can "operate" a radio control boat from the water's edge

but you'll also need to be prepared for blind cultists trying to call down the wrath of god down upon you 

37 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

I thought i read somewhere the govt had about 80% support on their actions to stop covid19. Plus JA is getting accolades from around the world.

I think you will find that poll is probably a week old (?) and regardless if infection rates stay around the level of the last 24 hrs or even go lower if she goes the full 2.5 weeks until reassessing again a new poll would be considerably different.

There is no doubt that going hard and early was a good call - its just how its managed from now that will count in the end . Its probably safe to say our suicide rate as a result of covid will be higher than the actual toll from the virus (thats an assumption - havent seen any figures to support but would be surprised if it doesnt end up being the case).

In regards to overseas opinion - yes they must be envious of our success and surprised how hard she continues to enforce the restrictions. Their situations are totally different and in some ways hard to compare -our advantage of being an isolated ,very under populated Island is very much in our favour.

Interesting email update from Coastguard - excerpt below. Exactly as I predicted at this beginning of this whole episode, it confirms that several boaties ignored the pre-lockdown order to not go out and subsequently developed serious illness whilst afloat - including Covid. Which required rescue by CG. Entirely predictable and preventable.

I doubt any of those will ever admit their idiotic behaviour to go sailing and post it here...

“As expected, we have seen a large reduction in the number of boats out on the water over the last four weeks” says Callum Gillespie, Coastguard New Zealand CEO. “While our volunteers have also stayed off the water, they have remained on call for emergencies throughout this period.

“During the Lockdown period our volunteer crews have been involved in nine emergency responses, including six urgent medical transfers of confirmed and possible Covid-19 patients to hospital. I am extremely grateful to our volunteers for leaving their families and their bubbles to carry out these vital tasks,” he said.

14 minutes ago, Aleana said:

“During the Lockdown period our volunteer crews have been involved in nine emergency responses, including six urgent medical transfers of confirmed and possible Covid-19 patients to hospital. I am extremely grateful to our volunteers for leaving their families and their bubbles to carry out these vital tasks,” he said.

I understand the majority/all of these patient transfers were residents from Waiheke.  Coastguard were called to do this as Deodar is out of the water and Lion has an ambulance bay.  

1 hour ago, marinheiro said:

I understand the majority/all of these patient transfers were residents from Waiheke.  Coastguard were called to do this as Deodar is out of the water and Lion has an ambulance bay.  

if it's true (and I want confirmation from CG themselves) then it's f'ing out of order.  I've had the police doing slow passes up the river pretty much every f'ing day.  They're too busy looking out for errant dog walkers and clandestine paddleboarders to deal with actual sick people and help them to hospital?