Boating now heavily restricted

55 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

I understand the majority/all of these patient transfers were residents from Waiheke.  Coastguard were called to do this as Deodar is out of the water and Lion has an ambulance bay.  

To date there hasnt been a confirmed case of covid-19 from Waiheke as far as I am aware ....I believe the Local Board have been told they will be told if there is one but at this time it is a clean sheet ......

Just as a side note - Waiheke has its own Coast Guard so if any transfers were done of any nature it would normally be by volunteers on the Island manning that service 

I might be wrong but I very much doubt that a suspected Covid case on Waiheke would result in a CG boat being sent from Auckland. And yes I also understood that to date Waiheke had remained Covid-free so I’m not sure of the basis of marinheiro’s statement?

33 minutes ago, Aleana said:

I might be wrong but I very much doubt that a suspected Covid case on Waiheke would result in a CG boat being sent from Auckland. And yes I also understood that to date Waiheke had remained Covid-free so I’m not sure of the basis of marinheiro’s statement?

source is a CG crew member. Waiheke is part of Auckland DHB so for isolated cases we are not being told where they come from

CG often undertake patient transfers when Deodar is not available, I understand they are reimbursed for this cost - it is basically a taxi ride. I would speculate that the helicopter is not used because they want to have it available for serious incidents and do not want to run the risk of infection from possible virus patients.

I am told in order to maintain distancing the CG crews did not assist (as they usually do) the ambo's to load/unload the patients - the ambos travelled with the patients in the ambo bay, crews stayed on the bridge.

Read the coastguard release again, it has been carefully written not saying where the patients came from. You can be pretty sure given CG's current mindset they would be shouting from rooftops if they came off boats.

I still doubt that up to six cases of Covid were taken from Waiheke unless they were all suspected and consequently negative (there is a local  testing station set up )-  David Bloomfield would have highlighted it and it would be in the Public's best interest to know -particularly the locals . With most positive cases they are quite specific on giving details where they originate - even though the Island is part of ADHB . In an  enclosed environment like a small island it would be essential to inform others so extra precautions could be taken.

The Island is quite proud it has maintained a clean slate so far - the biggest scare being a Policeman who did a talk at the local Primary School and subsequently tested positive - testing was done around those he had contact with on that day and all proved negative (from what we have been told) - he arrived and left on Police provided transport rather than Fullers.

That’s well out of order from CG. They shouldn’t be getting involved in politics, which is what I see this as. They are intentionally misleading people, as you’d easily assume those rescues were off boats, to aid their lockdown / no boating narrative. They should be more like Dr Bloomfield, rather than an MP. Facts, rather than spin. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure if been discussed re insurance and boat use during 3 & 4, just got this frm my insurer, which is very succinct:

Is your boat covered by insurance, if being used during the Covid-19 Level 3 & 4 Lockdown?
NullB-600-20.png
If you use your boat, having been told by the Government that you shouldn't, then the short answer is "No". It would be regarded as a reckless act and/or wilful misconduct, and your pleasure craft insurance policy contains an exclusion for that.

As per the NZ Government’s instructions around recreation on a Level 3 or 4, here’s details of the Government position: https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-3/#recreation This clearly states that boating is not allowed.

For a more detailed position on sports and recreation activities including water sports, see: https://sportnz.cwp.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Play-Recreation-and-Sport-Detailed-Level-1-4-Table.pdf

Please feel free to contact us if you require any further clarification.

And on behalf of all the fish out there - thank you for staying at home!

I have sent the following email to Coastguard's communications manager:

Coastguard issued a media release on Tuesday 21 April, which included the following statement:

During the Lockdown period our volunteer crews have been involved in nine emergency responses, including six urgent medical transfers of confirmed and possible Covid-19 patients to hospital 

As a boatie and Coastguard member I would be interested to know the general nature of each of these 9 responses.

In particular in the case of the medical transfers I understand from another source that these were transfers from islands being undertaken on behalf of the police as Deodar is currently out of the water – is this correct?  

Were all 6 medical transfers COVID patients or were some patients with other medical issues?

I will post their reply when received.

• Upvote 2
4 minutes ago, k88 said:

Not sure if been discussed re insurance and boat use during 3 & 4, just got this frm my insurer, which is very succinct:

Is your boat covered by insurance, if being used during the Covid-19 Level 3 & 4 Lockdown?
NullB-600-20.png
If you use your boat, having been told by the Government that you shouldn't, then the short answer is "No". It would be regarded as a reckless act and/or wilful misconduct, and your pleasure craft insurance policy contains an exclusion for that.

As per the NZ Government’s instructions around recreation on a Level 3 or 4, here’s details of the Government position: https://covid19.govt.nz/alert-system/alert-level-3/#recreation This clearly states that boating is not allowed.

For a more detailed position on sports and recreation activities including water sports, see: https://sportnz.cwp.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Play-Recreation-and-Sport-Detailed-Level-1-4-Table.pdf

we obviously have the same broker.

Interesting question for liveaboards. 

2 minutes ago, marinheiro said:

Coastguard issued a media release on Tuesday 21 April, which included the following statement:

During the Lockdown period our volunteer crews have been involved in nine emergency responses, including six urgent medical transfers of confirmed and possible Covid-19 patients to hospital 

As a boatie and Coastguard member I would be interested to know the general nature of each of these 9 responses.

In particular in the case of the medical transfers I understand from another source that these were transfers from islands being undertaken on behalf of the police as Deodar is currently out of the water – is this correct?  

Were all 6 medical transfers COVID patients or were some patients with other medical issues?

It will be very interesting if you get a reply to that request...

34 minutes ago, k88 said:

NullB-600-20.png

I assume then they are issuing credits on insurance?

My aircraft insurer did automatically putting all non-commercial planes on ground risks only for a month

2 minutes ago, Deep Purple said:

I assume then they are issuing credits on insurance?

My aircraft insurer did automatically putting all non-commercial planes on ground risks only for a month

Bloody good point!

1 hour ago, marinheiro said:

appreciate that - would be good to know 

Just now, dutyfree said:

I think you still want your insurance, so I am not sure why you would want a credit?

Yup I am with you here. My boat is safely tucked up in the marina not breaking any rules but I want it insured still.