Boating now heavily restricted

Nobody is suggesting you don't insure. I'm saying the difference between flying risk and ground risk is 50% off your premium. Most good aviation insurers are crediting the owner with that while the plane can't be flown.

Marine insurance companies are creaming it at the moment because the payouts will be zilch. That profit they are making can and should be passed on the owners. Several insurance companies have already announced that for car insurance. AA for example.

And thats without looking at the additional premium you might be paying for racing risks which won't be needed for at least a sixth of this year

But hey, if you're happy to throw money at them, don't let me stop you. Just don't come on here next year complaining about the cost of boating

• Upvote 2
49 minutes ago, Elenya said:

My boat is safely tucked up in the marina not breaking any rules but I want it insured still.

I have personally seen more boats sink and wreck parked in Marina and on moorings than I have seen in action, would be at least 50 and I suspect nearer 100 and thats just in NZ.

1 minute ago, BOIGuy said:

I have personally seen more boats sink and wreck parked in Marina and on moorings than I have seen in action, would be at least 50 and I suspect nearer 100 and thats just in NZ.

Yup I am with you here we have been hit at least twice in a marina (both times destroying a windpilot self steering gear). Exactly why I want it insured and see no difference or lesser risk just because I can't go out on it. Conversely I wouldn't expect my house insurance to increase over lock down because I am using it more. 

4 hours ago, marinheiro said:

I have sent the following email to Coastguard's communications manager:

Coastguard issued a media release on Tuesday 21 April, which included the following statement:

During the Lockdown period our volunteer crews have been involved in nine emergency responses, including six urgent medical transfers of confirmed and possible Covid-19 patients to hospital 

As a boatie and Coastguard member I would be interested to know the general nature of each of these 9 responses.

In particular in the case of the medical transfers I understand from another source that these were transfers from islands being undertaken on behalf of the police as Deodar is currently out of the water – is this correct?  

Were all 6 medical transfers COVID patients or were some patients with other medical issues?

I will post their reply when received.

I just got this reply from CG Comms Manager. Sounds very defensive. Confirms all 9 emergency call outs were transfers from Waiheke

The press release does not give the impression that there was a large number of boaties out breaching lockdown rules, please refer to the third paragraph which says the following -  “As expected, we have seen a large reduction in the number of boats out on the water over the last four weeks,” says Callum Gillespie, Coastguard New Zealand CEO.  “While our volunteers have also stayed off the water, they have remained on call for emergencies throughout this period.

The press release also doesn’t give the impression that the patients put Coastguard volunteer crews at risk – the following line “I am extremely grateful to our volunteers for leaving their families and their bubbles to carry out these vital tasks,” is simply a public thank you from Coastguard’s CEO to these volunteers for the work they have done during this pandemic. 

All nine of the emergency responses were medical evacuations from Waiheke Island.  

11 minutes ago, Fish said:

I just got this reply from CG Comms Manager. Sounds very defensive. Confirms all 9 emergency call outs were transfers from Waiheke

The press release does not give the impression that there was a large number of boaties out breaching lockdown rules, please refer to the third paragraph which says the following -  “As expected, we have seen a large reduction in the number of boats out on the water over the last four weeks,” says Callum Gillespie, Coastguard New Zealand CEO.  “While our volunteers have also stayed off the water, they have remained on call for emergencies throughout this period.

The press release also doesn’t give the impression that the patients put Coastguard volunteer crews at risk – the following line “I am extremely grateful to our volunteers for leaving their families and their bubbles to carry out these vital tasks,” is simply a public thank you from Coastguard’s CEO to these volunteers for the work they have done during this pandemic. 

All nine of the emergency responses were medical evacuations from Waiheke Island.  

Doesn’t specifically mention the nature of the evacuations - just medical which may not be covid related whereas MH ‘s source did mention they were covid related 

11 minutes ago, Fish said:

just received my reply:

All nine emergency responses were medical evacuations from Waiheke Island.  There are a range of different reasons why Coastguard has been tasked to attend these call outs. As stated in yesterday’s media release, six of the nine medical evacuations were for confirmed or possible Covid-19 patients.

so why did they not say this in the release?

1 minute ago, marinheiro said:

so why did they not say this in the release?

Sounds like a bad case of PR smoke and mirrors to me.

Personally I'm pissed off, cause that press release made it sound like there were a load of boaties out breaching the lock down, and nine of them got sick requiring emergency assistance and evacuation.

CG need to change their tag line from 'Saving Lives at Sea' to 'Saving lives on Waiheke..'

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, 1paulg said:

Doesn’t specifically mention the nature of the evacuations - just medical which may not be covid related whereas MH ‘s source did mention they were covid related 

My original comment

I understand the majority/all of these patient transfers were residents from Waiheke.  Coastguard were called to do this as Deodar is out of the water and Lion has an ambulance bay.

Only responding to the suggestion that they may have been off boats, not suggesting  that all 9 were COVID related. Remember I subsequently wrote to read the press release carefully.

28 minutes ago, Fish said:

Personally I'm pissed off, cause that press release made it sound like there were a load of boaties out breaching the lock down, and nine of them got sick requiring emergency assistance and evacuation.

Me To! Starting to struggle to support Coastguard these days.

There are hardly any (comparatively) boats out, and virtually all the ones I saw were behaving responsibly. 

Coastguard are often used when police resources are not available for medical evac from the various islands. They get a fee for this (fair enough). However the police will do it if they can, as the fee comes from their budget.

Personally I treat the coastguard "stats" with a large degree of skepticism.  

38 minutes ago, Fish said:

Sounds like a bad case of PR smoke and mirrors to me.

CG need to change their tag line from 'Saving Lives at Sea' to 'Saving lives on Waiheke..'

I hope this type of call out for CG isn’t used as part of their ‘we assisted x number of people last year’ therefore you shouldn’t go boating call. 

Agreed that CG has many flaws as an organisation - their PR machine is unnecessarily aggressive for example - BUT I’d rather they were there than not. And I’ve seen various sides of them from internal Ops to front line service (I was active crew for a few years) through to being a ‘customer’. And overall they are a great outfit of well intentioned operators (if sometimes slightly misguided and overzealous).

And finally I admit I’m biased because when a CG boat turns up in the middle of the night to transfer your seriously ill child to a helicopter for airlift to Starship hospital - it kind of locks in your appreciation and loyalty.

If you’re ever unfortunate enough to need the same kind of assistance you’d probably soften your critical attitudeS towards them too.

• Upvote 2

and here they say kayaking is out under level 3

Kayaking, like most other water-based activities, is not permitted at alert level 3 or 4 because there is an increased risk of COVID-19 being spread if participants require search and rescue services.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zealand/2020/04/i-ve-been-a-dick-dr-lance-o-sullivan-admits-coronavirus-lockdown-breach-hypocrisy.html

which doesn't appear to match some other sources...

definitely a bit of ambiguity in those CG statements - as to their roles in transporting medical emergencies from the Island - as the Island have their own Coastguard volunteer set up and failing Westpac not being available it makes sense to utilise the local CG setup in Matiatia to get any urgent cases to Auck .