Boating now heavily restricted

Just been talking to a guy on a 38.5 Lagoon moored to the wharf at Whitianga. The are over here from Brisbane and self isolating around the Mercury Bay area.

The police came out and made contact with them at the beginning of lock down and told them they had to remain in the Mercury Bay area for the duration of lock down. 

Says there are a lot worse areas to spend lock down and has quite enjoyed it, thinks the Mercs are stunning. 

Hoping to get back across the Tasman in June but doesn't know if that will happen.

We headed to sea for the first 2.5 weeks for the lockdown and stayed at either end of Onetangi for the whole time. I spent several weeks prepping the boat just in case and took the view they had not said no to boating. The boat is designed for live aboard and had sailed here from France. Ironically, our sewage system at home failed on last day home and we had no wastewater.

There were about a dozen boats to start, some headed to Barrier, others melted away as food and water ran out over the 20 days we were out

The first 10 days were fine, you could walk on Onetangi beach and the locals were friendly. Then our fearless leader clarified boating was not allowed. Overnight nobody was kayaking or fishing in boats  from off the beach. The hordes of daily paddle boarders who would come round and say hello dried up.

We noticed an immediate change in attitude from the people staying at their baches to the few boats remaining, nothing was said but hands started going on hips as we wold come in for the daily walk and a few people gave us the death stares. Id say 90% were not locals but bach owners.

We made the call to come back in as with two young kids, not being able to swim or paddle round the rocks made entertaining them quite trying after the boating clarification.

We didnt once see any boat break any lockdown rules.... occasional beers on the beach showed people siting apart and some boats each night backed in stern to for an hour or so.

We spoke to a number of friends who were at the barrier.  They said all but 3 locals were very friendly, the shops were well stocked as people were expecting boats for Easter. They said Fitzroy Shop was very keen and selling as much as possible as they had supply in expectation of Easter Trading. However the 3 that were opposed made a big deal of ringing the media and beating up on the boaties. They also cut the line of water from Smokehouse Bay. But overall locals were very supportive.

As for the 'raftup pissup', it never happened, 4 boats were rafted up, all family members who joined before the lockdown. Two boats had the owners on board who were over 70 years old and related to the other boats. One of the boats owned the bach in front of where they were parked as well. 

The police came around for a few days and told everybody they could fish but asked if they could stay close to Fitzroy, but Katherine Bay/Nagels was ok as well. The Police were then seen fishing in MOW passage before they headed back to Auckland.

Overall we were happy being out but I can appreicate that they didnt want anyone out at least for the L4 lockdown. If they had given that clarity before L4 we would not have gone.

However I can also see that from L3 its a bit of a nonsense that one can go for a surf, but cant live on a boat...bigger fish to fry I guess

Thanks Veladare, good to know. Assuming we get the nod for Level two on Thursday, seven weeks is a long time and no surprises very few stuck it out and isolated in one place.

Looking to head out as soon as they will let us and the weather looks OK for now.

Cycling was allowed all the way through because it's safe. I now have my doubts.

20200504_170715.jpg

2 minutes ago, Ed said:

Social gatherings limited to 10.... I guess the 52's won't be racing for a little while longer

I’d agree with you, although, according to information on the Sport NZ website released on the 7th of May, contact sports are OK. If rugby is back on, surely a race crew of similar numbers should be allowed? 

NZ would never have different rules for different people would we?

Went to my yacht on Saturday to give the engine a run. Started fine but when put into gear (still on the berth) no movement, had to give the engine a bit of a rev to get the folding prop to open as there must have been growth in the gear teeth that mesh the prop blades.

So if you have a folding or feathering prop suggest you check it is engaging before getting underway. Also growth on the blades will severely affect the prop's performance - first place to attack with a scrubbing brush when you go for that cold swim.

5 minutes ago, mattm said:

I’d agree with you, although, according to information on the Sport NZ website released on the 7th of May, contact sports are OK. If rugby is back on, surely a race crew of similar numbers should be allowed? 

My take is that hey were still working through those questions.

Hmm, have had little or no reaction in Mahurangi/Scott's Landing.  Have been asked twice by people walking on the beach - as we load up the dink with a sh*t ton of laundry and shopping - "heading out?".  When we answer "nah, washing and shopping, back to the boat, been here 5 weeks", there has been nothing negative.

Looking forward to leaving!

1 hour ago, mattm said:

The reality is YES. Jacinda and the Health dude were very clear that professional sport is OK, but NOT community team contact sports (ie the 70,000 people that play rugby most Saturdays) is out for the time being). They talked about the fact that very careful rules have been worked out with the governing bodies of rugby, netball etc so that their professional teams can play. 

• Upvote 1

That might be schools but she said today that sport can take place as long as complies with gathering rules and the gathering rules limit it to 10 in a group. I read that as more than 10 mixing it up on a field are out for the time being anyway

9B496BC3-BB1E-4631-93A2-86E4FE528BD1.jpeg

FF5EC999-AF64-4768-943E-C2F8A9BE0CE9.jpeg