sun shades

Romany

Hey all - coastal weekend looks like giving a slow and long weekend of bugger all wind plus loads of sun so cruising with the tribe is on for me.

However - with the sun comes the realisation I need some 'ribs' for my sunshelter.

Anybody either got a source of cheap :D fibreglass battens or know of a better alternative ? I think I need thick and stiff battens as the canopy is max 3m across and the idea is to be able sit in cockpit without feeling closed in (but still have the ability to bow one side to down to lifelines if desired), and as required - to go forward without becoming a contortionist.

All attempts so far (25mm diameter uPVC conduit, broken :thumbdown: uPVC conduit reinforced with old broom handles, looking the other way after broom handles broke :thumbdown: :thumbdown: ) have failed. Have thought of making up a 'web' suspended from the main halyard to control or stop the canopy bowing but this seems a bit over kill,complex and due to angles (not centercockpit vessel) I don't think will work anyway. Kinda hoping for someone who knows someone that makes supayacht sails and maybe being able to scab some cast off battens. Beer is available...

Hi, I was surfing Trade me last year, and found these 'Made in China specials ' Bimini's for a really reasonable price. They are obviously all off the shelf, standard sizes, but 3 yacht owners in our Club bought them, and made them fit our boats.

Most major modification was spliting one down the middle and adding a 300mm section to it. Even with the upholsterers bill, and 3 wider support poles, it was still a good price.

The one I bought was a perfect fit on my Farr 1020.

Not the quality of a NZ made bimini, but when you only use it a few weeks of each year, not too big a problem. It spends most of its life in my garage anyway !

Do a search on Trade Me.

Or better still, buy my boat, its already done :D

Thanks Joint Effort but I'd rather have NZ made (as much as I can) than imported. And yep - call me one of those things with head in sand, but why - when our local economy is under pressure - would we want to buy products that breath next to no life into our own communities? I appreciate price has a lot to do with it, and trust me I ain't rolling in dosh...

No offence to you, but - no thanks. Buy local.

Got a quote from local, who did an awesome job of my new Dodger,sail cover, tiller cover and life line covers, but his $2,250.00 against the $375.00 I paid was just too much of a difference, especially for the little use it gets each year.

I totally agree, buy local, support local economy, buy quality. Those who know my boat, know I buy the best for her - but on this one occassion, the wallet spoke louder !

I wouldn't have had a Bimini on the boat for our 2 weeks in the Sounds at Christmas if I had stuck to 'Don't buy Chinesse' stuff.

Sounds like you don't want to spend that sought of money either. But $375.00 isn't much more than the bits of pipe or broom handles will cost you, and the proper Bimini's work very well and look really smart.

Mine folds away in seconds, and has a neat zipped sock that goes over it.

Opens out even quicker.

Your call, just trying to help :D

Something light, strong, low-cost and preferably corrosion-resistant. Available in a range of lengths and diameters. Holding up half the world for thousands of years. :thumbup:

Bamboo scaffolders.jpg

Thanks tuffy.

Joint Effort - as I said, no offence [was intended] certainly none taken by me and I appreciate the time you took.

I share a similar attitude with regard to buyin the best I can but as you say - sometimes the wallet speaks louder. We have common ground in that matter and thats a good way to end the discussion. :D

Just checking Joint Effort. Are you saying that you got a dodger, sail cover, tiller cover, and lifeline cover for $375.

Or are you comparing the price for those locally ($2250) to the cost of the Bimini at $375?

I'd like to see how a Chinese made 1020 Dodger looked. :)

One of my mates has a canvas company that won't touch boats that can't come into the workshop.

The amount of time fiddling around getting it right is where the money is for something like a dodger.

Go and see John Worth - he does amazing work. He made the Dodger on Orca from scratch, was tight as a drum, awesome workmanship.

I had him replace the Dodger cover, sail cover, tiller cover, and life line covers on Joint Effort, and am very pleased with them also. $2,250.00 was quoted for making a Bimini from scratch. If I used it every week, and it was on the boat 24/7, 12 months a year, I would have got him to do it. But it gets so little use, I went for the $375.00 option, which does the trick.

If all goes to plan, and I get the new boat I want, John will be making a new Bimini cover (already has frame, no cover) and making a complete new Dodger.

There are cheaper people out there (so I'm told), but don't think you will find better quality, and he's a great bloke too.

Plus its Kiwi made !!!!!

City and Sea Canvas - Seaview, Wgtn. :clap:

post-10309-141887168258.jpg

OK, over $2K for bimini sounds alot!

I only have to pay for fabric for covers I need from my buddy, just saying he doesn't like doing yacht work as he has to go out in the weather.

Archived