2:1 halyard hardware

I'm currently using a proper block for my 2:1 haylard, but would appreciate a bit more hoist height

Arrangement at the moment is a plain bearing 1000kg SWL selden block, with the shackle going onto the top of the main

te 8.5 class is airdraft limited so any gains in hoist height are a win.
Looked at the offering from Tylaska, wichard, and Selden, any group experience with these? they llok nice but price wise they are up there for a shacke

Halyard is 8mm (inc cover) dyneema type rope,  

suggestions,comments?

I meant soft shackle the block to the headboard to get it closer. But like the others have said I think something like a snap block fixed to the headboard with the top of the block level or below the top of the sail would allow maximum hoist. ?

I've heard a few explanations of the need for 2:1 main halyard  systems. Apart from ease of hoisting can one of you experts ( e.g. KM or Wheels )explain just how it allegedly affects the compression on the mast. Seems to me that no matter what system there are two attachment points ,top and bottom of mast, so the only effect is miles more  halyard to buy and stow ? But round the bar others say it reduces compression ? How ?

1 hour ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

All 2:1 halyards I've used and seen terminate on the masthead fitting.

The mainsail on SV Hypothetical takes 50kg of load to hold it up there in just the shape the crew are happy with.

If that 50kg is on a 1:1 halyard it is on one sheave and the that sheave is handling the 50kg. The masthead fitting, containing the loaded sheave, is now applying 50kg of force downwards.

If that 50kg is on a 2:1 halyard then the sheave now has only 25kg on it but the tang where the end of the halyard is terminated has the other 25kg, between the 2 they share the 50kg load required. The masthead fitting is now applying 25kg x 2 of force downwards.

Dont think thats right? 

Bit worried to have a go at this, but in the 1:1 case, the sail applies a 50kg load down, the halyard the same vaule to hold it up there, therefore masthead has 100kg of compression.

In the 2:1 case, the load required in the halyard becomes 25kg each side of the main, and another 25kg tension, so maybe 75kg compression?

Im ssure ScottiE or Ed will correct me if Im wrong.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

A soft shackle with attached LF eye for use in 2:1 halyards.

m_20200202181001501.png

Exactly Knot Me

We run this sort of arrangement on the main for Oliver Sudden, Young 10/34. A fairly large square top.  Made the Soft Shackle as small as possible to ensure full hoist.  

The 2:1 is fantastic.  Easier to hoist and reduced any clutch slippage.  

Only downside is the mass of rope when hoisted.   

6 hours ago, Black Panther said:

I thought the reason was to make it easier for an old gitto pull the sail up. Nothing to do with compression.  Am i wrong? 

Yep. See this old thread for details....

The equiplite stuff is nice but makes tylaska look cheap!

I think the friction ring and soft shackle is going to be the way for now, just gotta sort out how to tie the shackle

29 minutes ago, Ed said:

The equiplite stuff is nice but makes tylaska look cheap!

I think the friction ring and soft shackle is going to be the way for now, just gotta sort out how to tie the shackle

Problem you need to consider with the soft shakle option Ed, is the tolerance you have above the headboard to the crane. I have know those who tie a bowline from a friction ring, down side is its never going to be a constant for luff tension.