Jump to content

She's Back...


Recommended Posts

More threats to Auckland's resident leopard seal after sunken dinghy

Auckland's resident leopard seal has received more threats against her life after a dinghy sunk, off Herald Island, on Wednesday night.

It is believed that an inflatable dingy that slowly sunk on Wednesday night was popped by Owha, prompting threats, including the use of a firearm.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/300042182/more-threats-to-aucklands-resident-leopard-seal-after-sunken-dinghy
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ya do have to laugh at some people. Why bother asking those who are actually sussing things to see what the real story is when you can just listen to a bunch of no idea muppets wapping on the internet instead.

If anyone cares to speak to the team in Dunners who are studying leapord seals and are working beside all those up here that are watching the big bit of dingy munching blubber they can ask questions like 'What happened to her nose?' and they will all quite happily tell you what they, and the 3 vets they had a close look at her, reckon was the cause.

Due to responcibilities in the area and as I put that bounty on Blubbers head after she ate a pile of safety boats I do get to chat to these organisations often and Mrs Plod once...oppps. They are very interesting chats with very interesting people, especialy the lady in Dunners whos got a tricky name. She has some awesome knowledge about these things and she can now predict, with reasonable accuracy, Blubbers macro movements, most interesting.

Anyway to the score board we go to find who is saying what..........

Internet experts with all their minutes of expertise and one photo - She scratched herself

Multiple vets with decades of training and expertise plus the entire team closely studying her and her kind NZ wide - Gunshot wound

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Ya do have to laugh at some people. Why bother asking those who are actually sussing things to see what the real story is when you can just listen to a bunch of no idea muppets wapping on the internet instead.

If anyone cares to speak to the team in Dunners who are studying leapord seals and are working beside all those up here that are watching the big bit of dingy munching blubber they can ask questions like 'What happened to her nose?' and they will all quite happily tell you what they, and the 3 vets they had a close look at her, reckon was the cause.

Due to responcibilities in the area and as I put that bounty on Blubbers head after she ate a pile of safety boats I do get to chat to these organisations often and Mrs Plod once...oppps. They are very interesting chats with very interesting people, especialy the lady in Dunners whos got a tricky name. She has some awesome knowledge about these things and she can now predict, with reasonable accuracy, Blubbers macro movements, most interesting.

Anyway to the score board we go to find who is saying what..........

Internet experts with all their minutes of expertise and one photo - She scratched herself

Multiple vets with decades of training and expertise plus the entire team closely studying her and her kind NZ wide - Gunshot wound

Who is that masked man, and what have they done with Knot Me?

Good to see they finally got the fibre into the Banana Bread Bay Brothel...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

Ya do have to laugh at some people. Why bother asking those who are actually sussing things to see what the real story is when you can just listen to a bunch of no idea muppets wapping on the internet instead.

If anyone cares to speak to the team in Dunners who are studying leapord seals and are working beside all those up here that are watching the big bit of dingy munching blubber they can ask questions like 'What happened to her nose?' and they will all quite happily tell you what they, and the 3 vets they had a close look at her, reckon was the cause.

Not sure if you are referring to my post on the previous page but I suspect you are.

My thoughts were based on having shot literally thousands of animals in the head as a pest control contractor and not a single one of them lived.. not one.

I'm a 100% confident if I shot Opha in the head she would no longer be with us.

Does that make me one of the muppets you refer to?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Sabre said:

Not sure if you are referring to my post on the previous page but I suspect you are.

My thoughts were based on having shot literally thousands of animals in the head as a pest control contractor and not a single one of them lived.. not one.

I'm a 100% confident if I shot Opha in the head she would no longer be with us.

Does that make me one of the muppets you refer to?

Not a single individual or any individual post/s were worthy of even a infinitesimal momentary thought when I wrote my post.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is interesting that the researcher, LeopardSeals.org co-founder Dr Krista Hupman, thinks that the problem of dinghies being destroyed is caused by boaties:

"It is the responsibility of boat owners to ensure their dinghies and fenders are pulled out of the water to prevent any damage."

So can we no longer tie a dinghy behind our boat, or leave a fender hanging to prevent damage?

 

  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ex Elly said:

It is interesting that the researcher, LeopardSeals.org co-founder Dr Krista Hupman, thinks that the problem of dinghies being destroyed is caused by boaties:

"It is the responsibility of boat owners to ensure their dinghies and fenders are pulled out of the water to prevent any damage."

So can we no longer tie a dinghy behind our boat, or leave a fender hanging to prevent damage?

 

In short no.

Well, you can. But don't complain if it gets destroyed...

To be fair, there is a known risk now of having an inflatable boat in the water. If that risk is known, you need to either address it or accept the risk. Ways to address it are:

1) take up golf (and give up boating)

2) take your dinghy out of the water

3) get a hard dinghy

4) accept the risk, in which case I'd get the cheapest bullshit deflatable I can find, no point in getting a top shelf Southern Pacific yadda yadda dinghy.

The fender issue is a newer one. How to stop your boat getting munted on the dock... we normally use a fender...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Elly u are onto it.

I'd imagine that the people at Juicy Rentals feel the same way about  Keas. Hear the tourists when we had em exclaim "Aww look at the cute liddle mountain pawwots ripping the wind screen sealant out .." 

Reluctantly I agree there are some similarities in the situation. Both are wild, both are apparently cute (seals don't do it for me but that's how I roll), both have habitat intrusion by naughty mankind, both suffering from global warming  (lets not get into that).

I just wish the seal would keep to its own backyard like the Keas do, and no I cannot accept "that the sea" is a brief summary of Leopard Seals backyards. 

The one difference I cannot overlook is that those pesky green ratbags don't eat people - like ever.

I'd be fine with a Kea visiting my backyard because I'm confident I'm not gonna loose a leg or anything. Cannot say same about the seal. Call me paranoid.

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it not true that leopard seals did hang around here prior to the sealers turning up? In which case this is their ancestral home.

Yes it makes me nervous too as our dinghy hardly ever leaves the water. My theory is she only eats white ones.

IMG-20190127-WA0011.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Black Panther said:

My theory is she only eats white ones.

 

I'm sure that is a discriminatory statement on some level.

I'm even more sure, in these current times, that someone is going to take offence to that statement and feel deeply aggrieved.

I mean, my dinghy is grey, are you excluding my dinghy based on its colour, or the fact it is tucked up in a nice dry dinghy locker and is completely neglected by me, cause I never get to use my boat how I want to...?

Jokes aside, it would be interesting to know if she only eats the natural coloured dinghies, like red and yellow ones don't look much like any normal seal or other food source.

We could do a quick crew survey.

Anyone lost a brightly coloured dinghy to Owha?

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

We could do an experiment. I'll leave my white deflatable, you and Fish leave your yellow and grey deflatables and we will see.

Did I mention my one is rooted already so i really don't care? 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My one is brand new. I think I'll keep it safely tucked up in its dinghy locker... unless I get laid off next week, then I'll either be at Bon Accord, Sullivans or Ftizroy... and my dinghy will be in the water.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How selfish... what about the greater good, and anyway my white deflatable is the 'bait'. Don't forget we'd be doing this in the name of science.

I am angling toward the hope that we might get an offer of some kind of gratuitous grant from DOC. Plus I would get a new dinghy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lateral said:

KM ....king of muppets.

Black hole of negativity.

All things chain, rope or anchor notwithstanding.

Oh dear. Please send a postcard.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Fish said:

Anyone lost a brightly coloured dinghy to Owha?

She ate 2 of our black ones....or very dark grey, depending on the light.

4 if you count both tubes in both boats.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...