Parsun vs Suzuki

Ok, so I'm in need of a little outboard for the Noelex.

Nztya rules state I need 5.5hp minimum for racing.

The Parsun 5.8 two stroke is $1495, while the new generation Suzuki 6 four stroke is $1999.

Favouring the Suzuki, as I've had lots of Suzie's in the past, but that $500 price difference is awfully tempting.

Any thoughts as to the quality, performance etc?

Nothing but praise for little Suzukis. Friends haven't been too impressed with the Parsun but that was a few years back

But you're comparing apples with oranges. Four stroke may be a little heavier but much nicer engine and no fuel mixing. Personally I think 2 stroke engines should be banned as they are in most environmentally conscious country

Just found that Parsun now do a four stroke 6hp for $1750.

The Suzi weighs in at 24kg dry, so not bad for a four stroke.

P5.8 is 21kg, P6 is 27kg. 

All have integral fuel tanks, but agree, four stroke seems nicer.

Go the Suzuki.

I know some people have had good runs out of Parsuns and the spin off brands, but I didn't. I have a 2.6 Waterman (its a re-stickered Parsun like a Sail, god knows how many other labels there are for them) I bought for the dinghy. It worked fine for a couple of years and then developed a carb leak that would dump a bowl full of petrol into the dinghy if you weren't quick and spin it 180 degrees if you tilted it. Took it to the official service agent to get it repaired only to be told that some of them just 'do that'. Short story is they weren't able to repair it. The coversation I had with the serviceman about his experiences with  the brand put me off ever wanting to own another one. I eventually replaced it with a new Tohatsu 3.5 which is what I should have bought in the first place.

BTW I assume you use a short shaft in the well of a Noelex? saw this on TM down your way.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/parts-accessories/outboards/listing-2612602370.htm?rsqid=75474877e11742c3b132a80860a6ce79-025

Don't buy a Parsun. I've been to the 'factory' in Hainan where they make them . Parsun, Sail & another whose name I've forgotten...same motor with different badge.. Suffice to say they are not well made. But they look good brand new. Stay with the tried and trusted brands if you want reliability and longevity.

• Upvote 2

Good spotting Greg. Well worth considering, as long as the warranty can be transferred.

Yeah, short shaft in the well.

Looks like the Suzuki gets the vote. 

Hopefully I can get down to Fink's later this week. And maybe I can even go shopping after Thursday 😀

And if I really push my luck, Sailing in the weekend!!

Following this thread with interest, also looking for a motor for noelex 22 and wondered if needed short or long shaft and mine also has the well. Also wondering if would get away with a 4hp as Honda have $500 off the bf4 at the moment making it a good buy. 

2 hours ago, Chopper73 said:

Following this thread with interest, also looking for a motor for noelex 22 and wondered if needed short or long shaft and mine also has the well. Also wondering if would get away with a 4hp as Honda have $500 off the bf4 at the moment making it a good buy. 

there is an old discussion here 

Picked up the new Suzuki today. It literally can't be shoehorned in to place, there's no space for the horn.

In the outboard well, there's about 2mm clearance for the gear lever, and that's with the motor hard up against the other side.

I can see some more boat mods in the future.

Yep, they seem to be grunty lil' beasts. Obviously still running in, but just above idle had us going pretty quick. 

Started first pull, ran like a dream.

Unrelated photo of a part of the Auckland Noelex 22 fleet taken yesterday arvo at Weymouth.

IMG_20200524_122652.jpg