Brazil - NZ Shipping Routes

Random question time, that the collective wisdom of crew may be able to assist with.

What are the shipping routes and shipping lines that would connect Brazil with NZ, and if you wanted to get a passage on a ship from Brazil to NZ, how would you go about it? I'm talking freight / box ship kind of thing here, not cruise liners.

The context is that I have a family relation who lives in Brazil, but given the rapidly deteriorating situation there, he is growing more interested in getting back home. However it is not possible to get home by any conventional method, what with airlines not flying and not being able to transit through almost anywhere. So the question is around the 1950's style of world travel, taking a ship. Either as a paying passenger, or as working crew, I'm sure he would be competent at chipping rust and painting, if it meant he got out of dodge.

And its not just the rona over there (which is going rampant). Their political system is interesting to say the least, and the security situation is deteriorating again (although it is relative). Cops are just shooting people now, rather than bothering with any due process, mainly around drugs. But the majority of cops doing the killings are already on murder chargers. They just keep on working. Go figure. 

It is plausible that society will collapse completely over there in the not too distant future.

1 hour ago, Fish said:

Random question time, that the collective wisdom of crew may be able to assist with.

What are the shipping routes and shipping lines that would connect Brazil with NZ, and if you wanted to get a passage on a ship from Brazil to NZ, how would you go about it? I'm talking freight / box ship kind of thing here, not cruise liners.

The context is that I have a family relation who lives in Brazil, but given the rapidly deteriorating situation there, he is growing more interested in getting back home. However it is not possible to get home by any conventional method, what with airlines not flying and not being able to transit through almost anywhere. So the question is around the 1950's style of world travel, taking a ship. Either as a paying passenger, or as working crew, I'm sure he would be competent at chipping rust and painting, if it meant he got out of dodge.

And its not just the rona over there (which is going rampant). Their political system is interesting to say the least, and the security situation is deteriorating again (although it is relative). Cops are just shooting people now, rather than bothering with any due process, mainly around drugs. But the majority of cops doing the killings are already on murder chargers. They just keep on working. Go figure. 

It is plausible that society will collapse completely over there in the not too distant future.

This is why my step daughters asked my wife and I to move from Brasil to NZ 2 years ago. Remarkable how many Brazilians are in NZ these days. That being said we are in daily contact with family, friends and suppliers for our business and for most, beyond virus restrictions, life is pretty much unchanged. Depends alot on where you live.

There are no direct shipping services between Brasil and NZ or Australia.Cargo typically gets transhipped in a US or Mexican port (or occasionally Panama) which of course brings on its own set of problems. Other issue of course that I would expect shipping companies will be very restrictive about letting anyone on board who is not part of crew.

PM me if you would like further info.

Thanks for that marinheiro. yes we have friends here too that are Brazilian. Young family.

Disappointing on the shipping route front, but not surprising. Other than sailing a yacht, do you have any other ideas on how to get from Brazil to NZ in the short to medium term?

2 hours ago, Fish said:

Thanks for that marinheiro. yes we have friends here too that are Brazilian. Young family.

Disappointing on the shipping route front, but not surprising. Other than sailing a yacht, do you have any other ideas on how to get from Brazil to NZ in the short to medium term?

LATAM are taking bookings for flights from 1 August between Brazil & NZ, that will be the only realistic option. Of course subject to their being able to fly.

Ironically I need to set foot in Brasil by early October to maintain my residency there, I will first try to negotiate with the consulate here for an extension. 

• Upvote 1

Hi there 

Has anyone been able to find a plausible route from NZ to Brazil by ship? I am moving back after 17 years in NZ and would like to take my dogs with me... But not on the cargo of an airplane! 

I'd appreciate any help. 

Many thanks 

Melissa 

There is no direct shipping between NZ/Australia and Brazil. Some years ago when exchange rates were rather different I looked at the feasibility of importing Brazilian built/Roger Hill designed cats into Aust/NZ. Had to tranship in Mexico and the cost was phenomenal. 

Having a play round with this site

https://www.maersk.com/local-information/shipping-from-asia-pacific-to-latin-america

the only shipping option appears be to trans ship via Singapore.

I think the airplane option is the only feasible one, I believe LATAM have recommenced their flights to Santiago, alot quicker than Emirates