Suitcase Diesel air heater

Anyone tried one? Thinking could set in the companionway and direct hot air below.Thing is, would have it going straight away, and no installing probs.

Disturbingly cheap. I haven't worked out where the exhaust comes out though. You do not want that in the Cabin.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/caravans-motorhomes/parts-accessories/other/listing-2640299135.htm?rsqid=b476dd40b01e49fda38854bd3344a218-010

Another "I have no idea how they do it" kind of cheap unit to consider is this
https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/caravans-motorhomes/parts-accessories/other/listing-2642039675.htm?rsqid=8846ccfcccc2494a89a965b672475b84-008

They have 2 nipples on bottom pointing down. Think could cut rectangle hole in a washboard and have it sitting outside in the cockpit. Beauty is no installation, just need 12v. I cant run ducting under furniture cos of tanks etc

Both give optimistic fuel use/heat output.

The maths ain't difficult:   Lower calorific value of diesel is about 36.5 Mj/litre.

1 watt = 1 joule/second so for heat from 1 litre per hour  of diesel  =36500000 joules /3600 seconds = 10 kw

Claiming 5 kw for 0.1 litre/hr consumption is a bit of a stretch!

I’m going to choose my words carefully and not mention any names in a negative sense to avoid getting into a legal stoush.... but let me say that having bought a brand new webasto heater 2yrs ago and getting it professionally installed I had problems - that we’re ultimately deemed to be partly a product failure and partly a service / installation failure. And the so called “warranty”?.... well let’s say the suppliers of said goods quietly stepped back and had no interest or capability to support a warranty claim here in Auckland. What I will say, is that if I was repeating things I would do it differently and I would buy my unit via the official NZ webasto distributor (HMB Marine Electrical in Half Moon Bay). When others fell by the wayside HMB stepped up and helped resolve the problem despite having not sold me the unit originally. In return for their impressive service support they get mentioned and recommended here for anyone considering a heater. 

• Like 1

Very strange.Tracking my new budget buy.Says arrive in destination country, then delivered yesterday.Not!!Then notice them saying miscalculated postage and want another $20 and then it will leave China. WTF.Mind, they lied about the start of covid so this will be nothing.

I've gone down the Chinese route and got burnt.  They are not all the same and many of the ones peddled here in NZ are not supported at all.  The models and parts change all the time and the controllers are rubbish.  

Noise is an issue as well with the cheaper ones.  

The manual that came with the unit I purchased was not relevant to the model supplied and the auckland based distributor was down right rude and had no idea how to support the product.  If you want to do a quality installation, go European.  You won't regret it.  

16 minutes ago, southernman said:

I've gone down the Chinese route and got burnt.  They are not all the same and many of the ones peddled here in NZ are not supported at all.  The models and parts change all the time and the controllers are rubbish.  

Noise is an issue as well with the cheaper ones.  

The manual that came with the unit I purchased was not relevant to the model supplied and the auckland based distributor was down right rude and had no idea how to support the product.  If you want to do a quality installation, go European.  You won't regret it.  

You get what you pay for.

What’s the price difference between Eberspacher and a knock off Chinese equivalent $1000 or so there is a glaring answer to that price gap durability reliability and warranty comes to mind.
Noiseyness comes free with the cost saving alternatives.

2 minutes ago, Priscilla II said:

You get what you pay for.

What’s the price difference between Eberspacher and a knock off Chinese equivalent $1000 or so there is a glaring answer to that price gap durability reliability and warranty comes to mind.
Noiseyness comes free with the cost saving alternatives.

Yip which is why we avoid dealing with Chinese suppliers wherever possible.  I'm sure there are some good ones out there from China as far as diesel heaters go but it will cost you more by the time you buy a few of them. 

37 minutes ago, southernman said:

Yip which is why we avoid dealing with Chinese suppliers wherever possible.  I'm sure there are some good ones out there from China as far as diesel heaters go but it will cost you more by the time you buy a few of them. 

Pretty hard to not buy Chinese anything these days but well worth the effort to make the effort.

1 million Uighurs locked in re-education camps is my start point when I am looking for a new piece of kit.

China makes good stuff, China makes crap stuff, we are generally burn't by the NZ based importers buying cheap and our desire / need for a bargain. It is a re-run of Japan in the 1950's, 20 years later they dominated almost every manufactured item imported here, made with quality and precision that Britain, America, Europe etc. could only dream of. Now China is the new girl on the block. She certainly doesn't fit most NZers ideas on freedom of thought, religion, etc. But that doesn't seem to trouble them and / or those in Business and the NZ Government doing trade deals etc.

Our down side is that the Chinese plan 100 + years ahead, we struggle with a 6 to 9 year political cycle and very limited longer term view. Unless we find a way to exist outside the market economy that relies on endless (unsustainable) consumption?  Hmmmmmmmmm!

• Upvote 2

My two cents. Eberspacher D4, installed at build. Best "last-minute-addition" we made. 

We ran it a lot during our summer holidays last year... and again in November when I went and dried out the boat before winter.

It starts, stops, and works perfectly (brand new and professional install, of course, so you'd expect it). At start up it's detectable, but once running barely makes a sound. Heat is ducted to aft cabins, for'd cabin, heads, and wet locker.

If it craps out in 5 years I will be a little pissed but generally already happy we paid the €€€. 

On 29/05/2020 at 3:20 PM, vic008 said:

Anyone tried one? Thinking could set in the companionway and direct hot air below.Thing is, would have it going straight away, and no installing probs.

My mate has installed two of these purchased from Aliexpress one in his camper van and another in his boat, I checked out the camper van unit yesterday, and it was pumping out an impressive amount of heat. It was also very quiet running  inside the van. I should say he has exceptional  skills, and has the time to do the installation himself, his work is immaculate. 

He thinks they are fine

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000005713998.html?src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&albcp=9594012230&albag=94205055490&trgt=296904913880&crea=en10000005713998&netw=u&device=c&albpg=296904913880&albpd=en10000005713998&gclid=CjwKCAjw26H3BRB2EiwAy32zhevq2xoY0jCe--m9vr1un3jf61Y7APsKKIg_H3KbwdZyv95Rm4WS6hoC3IcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Well that ended in tears.$326 actually.They tried to get more money before would send.Now they telle to return for refund and I tell them never received so rather hard. Repeat.And their tracking shows Arr AKL on11/6; deliver 13/6.Amazingly fast eh.So never again AliExpress for me.