SSANZ 2020 Lewmar Triple Series

6 hours ago, Knot Me... maybe said:

I see not all Y88's use electronic depth sounders.

Got well stuck but no water coming in so fingers crossed the emergency lift finds only the need for some re-fairing bog.

They reckon they were only 500mm off the exact same line Flash Gordon took right in front of them. Bugger!!

Yeah thats a good effort

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 4.31.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 4.30.45 PM.png

56 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

That video makes me wanna move home tomorrow...

Its amazing to see that many boats out on a cool winter day. I know there are bigger events around the world, but 175 boats must be up there.

Took wife as crew, she loved the atmosphere of the trip out, the start and the beat to Tiri. Incredible sight. The video does a good job of capturing it, the iphone camera does a bad job! 

1 hour ago, Deep Purple said:

Lucifers effort was better. She’s still wrecked on the beach at Waiheke :-(

What happened to Lucifer? Wasn't windy enough for hand stands was it?

48 minutes ago, Fish said:

What happened to Lucifer? Wasn't windy enough for hand stands was it?

Installed a rock in the main saloon. Crew lifted off by police, boat recovered awash  and towed into Owhanake Bay next day very broken. Still there

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 10.51.30 AM.png

Was out on the water yesterday and saw Deep Purple racing in a bit of breeze. What a little rocket ship.

So far ahead of the rest of the fleet they may as well have been in a seperate division.

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, Tamure said:

the weekend is looking interesting, think they send them off across the gulf at night in 30 kts?

That's kind of what it's all about. And the smaller/less capable boats do shorter courses. 

• Upvote 1

Race Report. Shimmer.

Best Ssanz ever for Shimmer (not hard as this is our first season) perhaps the opposite experience to Deep Purple we are  racing my family caravan a 1980 timber Townson 34. She loved the beat to coromandel and took the big steep seas like a thoroughbred. I love the wide variety of designs racing and how each has their day depending on conditions.
Big thank you to the Ssanz team for not changing the course and for all the hard work they do to organise the race and keep everyone safe. Can’t wait for the 50!

• Upvote 4

Race report - Deep Purple

Tough day at the office. North easterly of 25/35 knots, extremely rough and first mark 25 miles to windward was always going to be tough for a 25' 600kg traileryacht in a fleet of 30/50' keelers. The small boat division, most of which are bigger than us were given the short inshore course as conditions were unsafe for them :-) But if you don't start you are excluded from the series so out we go. Almost half the fleet didn't start or didn't finish but we kept going at times going sideways more than forward. Oh for a #3 jib and second reef. We rounded Gannet Rock a distant second to last but the send home was fun albeit with no chance of catching the leaders. Lots of bursts well over 16 knots, 14 boats passed and a great gennaker run from Haystack to Rangi Light. Anyways we crossed the line 15th and last (22nd) on handicap in our division. 22nd out of 37 finishers on our course so pretty respectable. On the bright side, Deep Purple took it in her stride, needing nothing but a bail out of water to be ready to go again. Crew Rob Shaw was awesome. Thanks SSANZ and team for putting on the series. One short race to go in 4 weeks, a nice 10/15 knot SW please. A small glimpse of us on the start.

116836175_3270532246326448_4703241908551922817_o.jpg

• Upvote 1

Quick question for those doing the Baltic 50 coming up.

The course sheet shows the last leg going back round Motutapu and Rangitoto to starboard, the SI only says Rakino to port then Finish

I don't race Auckland but do take an interest in this series as a possible future mission.

To me it looks shorter to go the north side of Rangitoto to get back to Auckland.

What am I missing?

p.s. well done those that managed to stick it out this weekend, had to be better than sitting at home waiting for the weather to clear.

40 minutes ago, BOIGuy said:

The course sheet shows the last leg going back round Motutapu and Rangitoto to starboard, the SI only says Rakino to port then Finish

I don't race Auckland but do take an interest in this series as a possible future mission.

To me it looks shorter to go the north side of Rangitoto to get back to Auckland.

What am I missing?

p.s. well done those that managed to stick it out this weekend, had to be better than sitting at home waiting for the weather to clear.

The maps are indicative, the wording of the SI's is what counts.

51 minutes ago, BOIGuy said:

What am I missing?

Yes, you're right.  It's about 1nm shorter on the outside, iirc. 

In previous years they have the finish line at Isinglington Bay where a raft up and celebration occurs. I recall at the briefing that the committee were to decide if that would happen closer to the date. So there might be an ammendment yet.

The map could possibly be preemting that... or an edit from last year's map just extending the existing line to Resolution.. or an oversight.

Well spotted. 

57 minutes ago, BOIGuy said:

What am I missing?

Yeah noticed that too. Pending any changes, rangitoto/motutapu is not a mark of the course, you can leave it either side