Boat insurance

Hi there,

I was wondering if it was mandatory here in NZ to have your boat insured? I just bought a keelboat from 1978 and insurance companies do not want to cover such an old boat.

I don't mind not having it insured as it does not worth a lot of money however I do mind being covered for other boats damages. But this type of insurance does not seem to exist..

Thanks for your help

Elise

You will need insurance of some sort .Marinas haul out and a lot of club moorings you always have to provide a certificate of insurance before they let you in.Having a old wooden Chico we are now being screwed by insurance has almost doubled in 2 years and half the cover .That being said we suck it up and pay as it is not the loss of your boat it is the damage you can cause to others.Another thing to remember if you wreck you boat you are responsible for the removal of the wreck and damage ie diesel around a mussel farm this is said as I have experienced a a total loss and wreck removal not cheap fortunately the boat was insured 

Just newly insured our 1974 Spencer through Mariner Insurance.  Wasn't cheap - around 6% of insured value with $500 excess...  

3rd party only was not an option (they wouldn't do it) and the excess increase to $1000 only made a few dollars difference in the premium.

• Not much progress here with Baileys Insurance!

Vessel Details
  • Please advise the year your boat was originally built ..........       1978
  • Sorry, but as your vessel is over 40 years of age, we are unable to offer any cover for you

Baileys brokers have looked after my boat insurance for nearly 20 years and have always found a way. 

Agree best approach is call them directly.

• Upvote 1

I'm also looking for a new insurer since Youi sold out to Tower. Have just received notification from Tower that they will no longer provide cover.

I have checked with Nautical and they won't provide cover on a swing mooring. No luck either with State who I have my car and house with. Some helpful info in this thread, but I get the feeling it may be going to take some time and research to get this sorted. Boat is a Spencer 28 built in 1979.

I also have had suggestions to check with Mariner and Club Marine. Does anyone have experience with them? Good, bad or otherwise. Any other suggestions of recent experience?

15 minutes ago, DrWatson said:

Is pantaenius not active in the nz market?

I don’t think they do which is a shame. I think their nearest operation is AUS.

10 hours ago, BMW56 said:

I also have had suggestions to check with Mariner and Club Marine. Does anyone have experience with them? Good, bad or otherwise. Any other suggestions of recent experience?

We've had great experience with Mariner. We had a racing accident with some hull damage less than a year ago and the claim was approved within 24hrs.

We're in a Marina, but the policy is titled "Moored or Berthed Boat Policy" ... so hopefully they cover moorings.