Damn the Rules, Rocna Inventor doing the NW Passage

Kiwi Pete Smith transits the NWP in Kiwi Roa during COVID crisis, ignoring wishes of locals and Canadian government.

New Zealander sails through Arctic on custom yacht in violation of COVID-19 restrictions
'I am a yacht, not a bloody cruise ship,' says Peter Smith, who's adamant he will not be turned around

Is he a Covidiot or just someone upsetting the snow flakes?

• Like 1

I'm getting offended by the amount of offense being taken around here.

No one is calling anyone a w^&#$@r, a c**t or a fuckwit, which would be highly offensive.

The OP is just trying to pose a question, can an adventurer go on an adventure. I would have thought that was a good and relevant topic to have here.

• Upvote 10
2 hours ago, Kevin McCready said:

I've reported this post. Adopting the language of the extreme right to describe people who support the rule of law sets a dangerous precedent for this forum. 

Wow.

How dangerous? 

Man, lucky you are here to keep us safe.

Im thankful.  No, really...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Seems like a media beatup to me.

Looks like the he got told the Candian Waters was closed by the time is was too late and he had started the Passage already. I doubt going back upwind in Artic waters is an option.

He's was sighted here 7 days ago, so I'd say he has no choice but to keep progressing through the NW Passage.

NW Passage.JPG

I am not commenting on whether Peter is right our wrong. I just simply want to clarify why the no boating rule exits.
Firstly, it depends on the Country as to whether you can sail in their Waters or not during the C19 crises. For those Countries that are banning Boating, it is simply for one reason. If anything should go wrong for the Sailor and they need rescuing, that Sailor is causing the Rescue People to have to come together and risk a possible spread of the Virus between them. Simple as that.
Although Peter has sailed all over the World, is very experienced and highly unlikely to ever need assistance, it is difficult to make a rule for one and not another.

• Upvote 3

Correct.  Furthermore it is extremely rude to visit another country and blatantly flout their rules for purely selfish reasons.

Anyone remember the reaction a few years back when a certain nordic person decided he could sail to Antarctica and bugger the rules?

Agreed, and to sail in another countries waters without their permission is to invite arrest and imprisonment. Possibly confiscation of your vessel. His risk, he must accept the consequences. Unfortunately his actions can have consequences for others following his path at a future date, even post covid.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Sabre said:

This is a comment on a Canadian news site...

"The issue of whether or not the Northwest Passage is an international's waterway or Canadian internal waters is still being argued in the international courts.This man has been at sea in quarantine for 30 days and doesn't appear to be ill and there is no indication that he has stopped at any northern community or has any intention of doing so. This man is a sailor "exercising his right of innocent passage" and appears to have tried to communicate with Canadian officials since the middle of May. He left Nome, Alaska on 27 July and has completed around 1900 nautical miles in 30 days. He has less than half that distance to reach Lancaster Sound and enter international waters again. Let's stop the verbal abuse and start wishing him luck in the completion of his goal."

Its a shame a few more kiwi sailors don't share this view. This whole thing is a non-issue and Peter Smith is 100% correct in that this is just beauracratic bullshit.

Should everyone just sit at home in their fluffy slippers untill some beauracratic cock womble tells us when we can start thinking sensibly for ourselves again?

the following is part of an email I received from Pete early this week

The authorities seem to have backed off for now. I have had a flurry of indignant demands from 5 departments all under the Transport authority umbrella. When I respond as well as refer them to head office they all shut up, scared of treading on big Brothers toes. When I talked to a Toronto Natives Safety Department director they were very understanding and wished me Bon Voyage, so it is not all negative.

• Upvote 1

something the reports do not mention is that Pete is making the voyage single handed, something only a handful of people have done to date.

I have heard from Craig Smith that there is Canadian Coast Guard ship following him, at least that means he has a "lookout" while off watch 😃.

I can understand the opinions for and against what he is doing, but in the greater scheme of things freedom of passage is becoming a major issue world wide, particularly in the case of what China is doing in the Sth China sea.