Living aboard in Auckland

yep can't see why anyone would have a problem with the finished effluent. We have been as low as 2 cfu in finished effluent so better than some drinking water around the place.

Ok, so here is the drama 2300 litres a day of waste treated and the size of the unti will be 500 x 500 x 680mm so not that bad but you will need a holding tank on top of this, as the system operates in batches.

yep can't see why anyone would have a problem with the finished effluent. We have been as low as 2 cfu in finished effluent so better than some drinking water around the place.

i would suggest that you leave out the word effluent if you want to tell people that you are discharging it, call it over flow from a water purifier,

as soon as you use the "ef" word you might as well have said sh*t :lol:

Ok, so here is the drama 2300 litres a day of waste treated and the size of the unti will be 500 x 500 x 680mm so not that bad but you will need a holding tank on top of this, as the system operates in batches.

I like a good shower, as does D's 1nd 2, Mums a speed showerer but 2300lts a day is well over what we would be needing to treat. Thinking more a couple hundy lts at most.

The one I've been play with also requires a holding tank so no worries there.

:lol: :lol: Grant has a very good point. So would your water purifier ;) be sweet on lot lower volumes?

The warm bit is good but the rest, I think the Wa and her kids would have issues with. Could just knot tell them I suppose ;)

They did love the leg of Lamb the other day...... but it suddenly became very yucky when they found out the leg was one I found wondering Sth Head. At the time it was attached to a wild goat :lol:

And what kind of power draw are we talking Southernman? This sounds most interesting.

I think eventually NZ will follow the US laws in regards to effluent holding, treatment and disposal. But I guess a few Councils need to get their act sorted before it could be forced on boaters. Nah hang, about who am I kiddin.

Well considering NZ is one of the only countries where you can still buy a brand new 2 stroke o/b I think we have a while before we get our sh*t together regarding boatie effluent (pardon the pun)

Well considering NZ is one of the only countries where you can still buy a brand new 2 stroke o/b I think we have a while before we get our sh*t together regarding boatie effluent (pardon the pun)

You need to check you info sources - 2-stroke outboards are still sold all over the world even in the UK http://www.marineroutboards.co.uk/detai ... duct_id=42

Also in the EU / UK the sale of non-compliant 2-stroke outboards can still be sold to commercial operators but not to recreational users. Let me know if that info is out of date.

they also sell the same outboards in the US.

Evinrude also sells new 2-stroke outboards in the US.

I guess the difference is that these outboards are much cleaner than what is sold in NZ

From a little bit of research it appears that some areas in the US have banned 2-stroke outboards but the EPA has not - it seems that because the older 2-strokes could not comply with the new regs people red that to mean that all 2-strokes were banned when in fact they were not banned as long as they could comply with the regs.

Wheels I believe that the two strokes now being sold in the US, UK, Europe comply with the regulations regarding emmissions. A lot of the 2-strokes on the market new in NZ most likely do not comply.

I would say that more countries allow the older ones to be sold than those countries that do not.

From what I can find out the smallest 2-stroke of the new breed is about 25hp

Tohatsu 2 stroke - http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/tldi_faqs.html#Q1

Evinrude - http://www.marineenginedigest.com/profi ... e/etec.htm

Mariner - http://www.marineroutboards.co.uk/detai ... duct_id=42

an article on 2 stroke versus 4 stroke

http://www.marineenginedigest.com/speci ... stroke.htm

I have been taking a surf around the net and it seems that some parts of the Us have banned them. Mostly on several fresh water lakes. And the State of California has supposedly banned everything and anything that has a 2 stroke, but I don't know how that's working out for them, because a lot of big groups, like Bikers are really fighting hard and being very defient.

I found this from the EU and as you said, it seems just those that don;t meet the standard. The EPA in the USA are apparently going to be getting even tougher, but doing it stages.

The new EU 2006 emission regulations.

The new European emissions regulations are due to come into force on 1st January 2007 and will have a major impact on the sale of new 2-stroke outboards.

All 2-strokes that do not meet the new regulations are banned from being placed on the market in the EU after 31st December 2006. All outstanding stock can be legally sold, and all 2-strokes that are in the EU on the cut-off date can still be used and freely bought and sold second hand.

There is the technology to make 2-strokes clean enough to pass the new regulations, but it's expensive and will be confined to the larger 2-stroke (40hp plus) engines.

The only option for tenders and smaller boats appears to be a 4-stroke engine.

If you are thinking of buying a new small 2-stroke then hurry, as once dealer's stocks have run out there will be no way that you can legally get a new small 2-stroke for leisure use.

Power use is the challenge we are working on at the moment. We are not so much concentrating on the small boat market at the moment but looking at 50 plus feet boats really. On a boat of this size and with paying guests 2500 llitres a day is actually around the figure of total waste. Take 5 people and a shower a day each for 5 miinutes - being conservative that is 500 litres alone (we are talking a charter boat here with water maker). It actually adds up quite quickly. Of course cruising is a different story but this is the market right now we are looking at. At the moment we are using 20 amps at peak load ( 24 volts DC ) but only for short periods of time. Our aim is to reduce energy consumption by increasing cycle times, but without adding age to the influent.

What we are doing is not top secret at all - in fact many are already used on super yachts. The key at the moment is to make a small version that is energy efficient as well. I hope to have a fully built prototype within a couple of months. Attached is a overview of the ultimate approach for onboard treatment that is currently being used on super yachts. http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kryc4leAOhNQml34w0aB-DdFNT9Dcc_CLxI4Uib594w?feat=directlink

Interesting SM.

As you will be well aware, there are other versions of treatment devices out there. Lectrasan/Purasan etc. The Lectrasan had one major disadvantage in that it was too complex for it's own good. So reliability becomes and issue. Although in a real sense, for the environment it was in and the job it was doing, it could be said it was reliable, but fgor the cruising yachty, it was not and it is expensive for the cruiser to upkeep. I guess that is why you are looking at 50ft/Charter business.

Good grief, if you want to live on board your boat, power to you, I'd love to be able to do that.

Might pay to check with the council or Harbour Master (same thing at the end of the day) for best place.

Some one working for the council (who shall remain nameless) used to live on board at Beach Haven.

Re the cost of your mooring in Auckland City, my understanding is that it has now been standardised under the new city..my latestMooring Owners bill for Okahu Bay $215.50

There are quite a few living on their boats in the immediate area.However I don't imagine you will find too many relatively sheltered spots near downtown that will accommodate a 14m vessel with your your draft.

Talk to the Harbour master would be my best advice..they might be able to suggest a site somewhere up the Tamaki River or in the upper reaches of the Harbour..Herald Island is lovely and sheltered there is also some very deep water.. Not sure about fast ferries but a google search will answer that..

All the best.

OK a clarification needed here. I've was talking to The Man* and took the opportunity to ask the details.

It is perfectly legal to live aboard on a swing mooring in Akl harbour. There is no time limit or anything so if you want too go for it. BUT if you do you will have RMA issues, which basically means you will have to demonstrate, and actually do, that zero crap comes off the boat into the harbour. You will need good black and grey tanks and show you both use and empty them in a legal like manner. Bust any RMA Regs and you're outta there.

With regards to anchoring, anything longer than 2 weeks of anchoring in the same spot and you them are deemed a 'permanent structure', in which case you either have to move or comply with whatever permanent structures have to comply with. A swing mooring is deemed a permanent structure as a FYI.

And another FYI - at anchor most places for more then 2 weeks and you'll run into the same thing, it's not only inside Akl harbour even if anyone doing inside the harbour will be looked at sooner than those in knot so busier spots.

* The man = equals the smiling face/s that would arrive at your gunwale asking the questions and/or asking you to please bugger off. And probably have a crack and your cold beers given a chance, watch for that as well :)

So watch for the 'anchoring' verses 'swing mooring' differences, they are obviously there.

I was having a conversation recently about living aboard and regulations and as far as I can tell, while it is said that both black and grey water needs to be dealt with, I have only found that the Resource Management Marine Pollution Regulations 1998 have requirements for black and not grey water. Can anyone point me to the supposed greywater requirements for Auckland as I haven't been able to find them so far?

Hi

You have found the Resource Management marine pollution regulations which deal with some specifics related to vessels and offshore platforms. What you need to look at now is the Regional Coastal Environment Plan for the Xxxxxxx region ( the unitary plan in Auckland. This deals with some general discharge requirements. Generally Grey water will be permitted provided itvdisperses with reasonable mixing. There is normally a clause that covers all such non oil, non toxic liquids such as water, wash down waste water etc. finding the clause may take some time....

As I understand it Resource Management Marine Pollution Regulations 1998 Schedule 4 and Part 3: 15 allows for the discharge of greywater and Part 3: 16 prevents the inclusion of any further rules to the Regional Coastal Plan or Resource Consents in relation to this. Greywater is separate from sewage.