Living aboard in Auckland

Wow, some interesting conversations going on! Thanks for the suggestions. Have been thinking about Bayswater marina, bit above my price range but it least sheltered. Good idea with the dingy commute - I actually have a friend at the Maritime museum and was thinking of volunteering a bit for them. Oh and marinas do charge a 'liveaboard fee' which goes towards use of facilities and poss council tax? This is 40% of berth cost in Westhaven and quite a bit less at Bayswater. Not planning to drive to uni, walk or cycle instead.

Will look into moorings though but don't imagine its as convenient as Opua where its fairly sheltered and has a good yacht club for facilities. Are there yacht clubs with similar facilities in Auck?

As to the liveaboard lifestyle, well, yes its cheap day to day excluding keeping an offshore cruising boat maintained and up to spec. Has allowed me to travel the world without using planes. Is very envirinmentally friendly, I collect my own water, produce the majority of my power through solar panals. Isn't room to get into all the consumerism of having the latest telly etc. No landbased issues such as run off caused by housing development, boat is wooden so will biodegrade when its old and falling apart......

Out of interest, was it you flushing your live aboard bog that helped contribute to all of the oyster farmers up the harbour from Opua being shut down due to faecol contamination? :sick:

...you just go blame the one, singlur, visible source on a boat, and miss the facts entirely

Ohh relax Fish and stop being so sensitive........I wasn't blaming anyone just raising a very tounge in cheek question (again).

Out of interest, was it you flushing your live aboard bog that helped contribute to all of the oyster farmers up the harbour from Opua being shut down due to faecol contamination? :sick:

...you just go blame the one, singlur, visible source on a boat, and miss the facts entirely

Ohh relax Fish and stop being so sensitive........I wasn't blaming anyone just raising a very tounge in cheek question (again).

Sorry Wineglass, but I missed the tongue in cheek bit and say the bit about someone's actions & lifestyle leading to the demise of an important local industry. there is a lot of miss information around about the causes of poor water quality, and calls like that just propogate it.

I heard Westpark were not allowing any more liveaboards as their electric supply was maxed out on load.

That was the situation a year ago according to someone who had a berth there.

I heard Westpark were not allowing any more liveaboards as their electric supply was maxed out on load.

I had heard there was a waiting list, interesting about the power if true.

believe that waiting list is applicable even if you own the marina

if you had a mooring at okahu bay you could walk or bike to uni , there is parking for cars , dinghy racks and a pontoon/ramp, you might have to strap yourself in bed at times tho.Good practice for going offshore. there is also moorings around herne bay just past the bridge that would be still close and a little more sheltered and peaceful. If there is not a mooring available you can often apply with arc to get a new one put in.

aside from whether or not it's allowed, anywhere close to the city that's outside of a marina is going to be subject to all the fast ferry/container ship/etc wakes going past at all hours. they can be fairly unpleasant just folding up the sails, much less living aboard. i suppose it depends on what you're used to, though.

Sorry it's both knot true but at the same time it is true.

Knot true as it has nothing to do with the power supply.

Is true as the local Council have a set strict limit of 60 live aboards only.

So yes there is a waiting list but only because the limit of live aoards has been reached.

I tell, she seems to have so much command that girl. And it always seems to be early morning.

KM!!! NO!!!! don't come up with that Line. yeah I know what ya thinking.

Spoil sport :)

But hey what do I care, I got commanded for breakfast and it's far more fun than a bowl of porridge :thumbup:

OK a clarification needed here. I've was talking to The Man* and took the opportunity to ask the details.

It is perfectly legal to live aboard on a swing mooring in Akl harbour. There is no time limit or anything so if you want too go for it. BUT if you do you will have RMA issues, which basically means you will have to demonstrate, and actually do, that zero crap comes off the boat into the harbour. You will need good black and grey tanks and show you both use and empty them in a legal like manner. Bust any RMA Regs and you're outta there.

With regards to anchoring, anything longer than 2 weeks of anchoring in the same spot and you them are deemed a 'permanent structure', in which case you either have to move or comply with whatever permanent structures have to comply with. A swing mooring is deemed a permanent structure as a FYI.

And another FYI - at anchor most places for more then 2 weeks and you'll run into the same thing, it's not only inside Akl harbour even if anyone doing inside the harbour will be looked at sooner than those in knot so busier spots.

* The man = equals the smiling face/s that would arrive at your gunwale asking the questions and/or asking you to please bugger off. And probably have a crack and your cold beers given a chance, watch for that as well :)

So watch for the 'anchoring' verses 'swing mooring' differences, they are obviously there.

I think there is some byelaw here in the BOI stating that you cannot liveaboard on a mooring for more than a short specified time. However, I like many others have been here for years....

I totally agree with toilet discharge laws but grey water? Surely not every boat in Auckland has a grey water tank and I don't think a little eco-friendly washing up liquid with some dirty dish water can be that harmful. I don't have a shower onboard so no discharge there. Crazy all these regulations when raw sewage and god knows what chemical effluents still get dumped in the sea. After prolonged heavy rain in Opua the water is brown as and stinks.

Well i'll look into all the mooring and marina options - maybe I should go study somewhere else! Or find a rich bloke to pay my way for me!