Maxwell 16 winch

First thing is does the winch turn? If it doesn't the aluminum drum on the inside will have a stainless steel sleeve, then roller bearings and another stainless steel sleeve. The dissimilar metals of Ali and SS cause corrosion swelling the outside sleeve to seize the rollers. If it is seized put the winch in a small bucket of diesel. Then the hard part starts. Let us know if it is seized?

1 hour ago, boots said:

First thing is does the winch turn? If it doesn't the aluminum drum on the inside will have a stainless steel sleeve, then roller bearings and another stainless steel sleeve. The dissimilar metals of Ali and SS cause corrosion swelling the outside sleeve to seize the rollers. If it is seized put the winch in a small bucket of diesel. Then the hard part starts. Let us know if it is seized?

Two winches.  One was turning well and the other was corroded badly.  We used an impact driver to unscrew it allowing drum removal (with dual crowbars).  We gave all the pieces a solvent bath and scrub down.  We sand blasted the internal mechanism (not sure what it's called) to remove corroded material and then wiped down and applied lubricant.  Both appear to now work well, but I haven't installed them back on the boat as yet.

Cost me a bottle of single malt which is more than a fair price, I reckon.