+ve Burnsco Gulf Harbour

A confirmed positive covid case visited Burnsco Gulf Harbour twice last Sunday 18th Oct, at 10:30 am and 3 pm.

Public service announcement here due the high chance crew readers frequent marine supply stores.

I visited Burnsco the day before and Healthline advised both me and my missus to get swabbed, which we have done.

Any I was making jokes today about not going to the pub, just incase...

If you were at Burnsco, or have the slightest sniffly, call Healthline 0800 611 116

2 hours ago, It Got said:

Back in the day if you were gay you were just happy.

If you were a muppet you were made of fabric

If you had a man bun it meant your filled roll was bigger than your girlfriends

A tranny was a radio

A yacht always had sails

and eliminated meant it had ceased to exist.

We're dangerously close to being able to argue No can also mean Yes.

I had a very satisfying elimination this morning.  Nothing disappeared until I flushed and even then, it continued to exist.

Like the language of boats (why is a rope a sheet - its not flat, white and on the bed), the language of science can sometimes seem non-sensical.  Its not meant to make sense to a non-scientist.  

Its a rum thing.  Or is that rumb?  Pass the bottle - lets discuss.

• Upvote 1

Well, I'm negative, so it wasn't me.

I'm still slightly bemused that they told me to get tested, when I was at Burnsco the day before the positive case. But it sounds like "it" is out and about again, and they are being abundantly cautious on community monitoring.

As the testing guy said, it was my civic duty to have a cotton bud jammed up my nose.

Now I have no excuse but to go to the father in laws 80th this afternoon, and its such good sailing weather, grrr

• Like 1

Despite the GOVT telling every shop owner they must display a QR code thing so people can scan or a sign in book.Well today I was in ST Lukes mall .I would say 50% shops no code or sign in book. Out south in my area there is very few codes and defiantly no book.So have the govt or shop keepers given up or has the threat been over hyped??

Surely with the electrician visiting overseas ships it would be a no brainer to of had compulsory testing or placed him or others in managed isolation as a precaution.

I know several of the people involved in this Auckland cluster. Covid test results in 30 hours. 

People have got slack in level 1. Every business is still required to display a code. Even though I work from home, I have one on The front door. That has given me a 3rd level casual contact with this cluster. The mutual customer of mine and the company that the electrician works for is in quarantine.  I did not have to unless he tested positive or developed symptoms.  He has not, and has tested negative. This has been a bit of wake up call, I was getting a bit slack in code recording. I've been very careful this weekend. 

IMO NZ's systems are working pretty well, and this is the new normal. However,  I would not be letting in the fishing crews...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I think this ‘close to home’ example demonstrates how slack the system is. It’s got more holes than a colander.

If I understand correctly a person visited Burnsco on Sunday (and was infectious at that stage) but the authorities only alerted the store on Thursday. That’s 4 days of potential surface contamination (remember the lift button that triggered the last cluster and L3 alert)?

And the cafe literally next door had 50-60 people in same afternoon to watch the game.... they had no alert or precautionary messages eg deep clean. Are we sure someone didn’t visit Burnsco next door before they sat down for a beer & the match?

I genuinely think there is a 50:50 chance we could be in another lockdown in the Suckland region around Christmas. That’s a deliberate typo btw.

See what I mean - this is a sh!tshow being run by a bunch of muppets. Seriously, we’re one more clusterf@ck like this from another lockdown. In which case I’m dropping all my previous law-abiding tendencies and jumping on my boat (assuming it ever arrives) and heading off out of Suckland.

Covid screwup

8 hours ago, It Got said:

We've been waiting 2 months, over I think, for one set and 3 weeks for the other.

I'm sure if this covid thing was serious we wouldn't be.

Its not hard to get the results if you give a sh*t. Takes less than 3 mins. Just phone your GP.

Me and the missus got tested Friday night. My result was back by text 8:30 this morning, so 36 hrs flat. My missus didn't get her text, and was getting in a flap, cause it was her fathers 80th today, and man that was target rich for high risk individuals. So I had a phone around, Auckland Regional Public Health said phone your GP, so I phoned my GP (on a Sunday morning) and got the result from the reception person. Literally took 3 mins.

In terms of criticism, the tracer app is a heap of sh*t. It requires manual use at all times to work. A covid card type thing with bluetooth proximity detection would be far better. Leave it in your wallet and forget about it. But I don't think a number in NZ can handle giving up their privacy so we all have a system that works. Best example, the brothel that is in the same building as Wright Technologies... mwahahaha. Apparently it is OK, cause they use separate entrances. The brothel clientele use the back door...

But overall, the systems are working. The ship worker knew he was high risk so was getting tested regularly. He was keeping a low profile, i.e. not going to super-spreader events like 21sts etc.

All contacts have been traced. So there is some mixed messages around the edges. yes, could be better. But it also takes personal responsibility.

How many people here actual scan in everywhere they go? I found one shop without a QR code, and immediately hit them up about it. Acceptance is approval. If you don't say or do anything, then you are part of the problem.

• Upvote 3
10 hours ago, Fogg said:

I think this ‘close to home’ example demonstrates how slack the system is. It’s got more holes than a colander.

If I understand correctly a person visited Burnsco on Sunday (and was infectious at that stage) but the authorities only alerted the store on Thursday. That’s 4 days of potential surface contamination (remember the lift button that triggered the last cluster and L3 alert)?

And the cafe literally next door had 50-60 people in same afternoon to watch the game.... they had no alert or precautionary messages eg deep clean. Are we sure someone didn’t visit Burnsco next door before they sat down for a beer & the match?

I genuinely think there is a 50:50 chance we could be in another lockdown in the Suckland region around Christmas. That’s a deliberate typo btw.

Funny how you mention Christmas.The Towhanga or sometn\hing next to wifes work is clearing out there old stock(food bank) and getting new stock in for preparation of a lockdown in December/January

10 hours ago, Fish said:

....and was getting in a flap, cause it was her fathers 80th today, and man that was target rich for high risk individuals. So I had a phone around, Auckland Regional Public Health said phone your GP, so I phoned my GP.....

This information is from John Hopkins University and is in line with all the peer reviewed studies that I have read. It is important that we realize the extremely limited validity of the PCR test that are used throughout New Zealand

In the report on the findings published May 13 in the journal Annals of Internal Medicine, the researchers found that the probability of a false negative result decreases from 100% on Day 1 of being infected to 67% on Day 4. The false negative rate decreased to 20% on Day 8 (three days after a person begins experiencing symptoms). They also found that on the day a person started experiencing actual symptoms of illness, the average false negative rate was 38%. In addition, the false negative rate began to increase again from 21% on Day 9 to 66% on Day 21.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/newsroom/news-releases/covid-19-story-tip-beware-of-false-negatives-in-diagnostic-testing-of-covid-19

On even Day four of an infection.... There is a 67% chance of receiving a False Negative in this study.  Most of the studies I have seen have reported lower but still significant false negatives, this is especially true when the test is administered to casual as opposed to close contacts. Interestingly this is a diagnostic type of test and not what would normally be referred to as a 'screening' test and there fore (both false positives and false negative) results are predicated on the sample group. 

The take away is that a day-3 negative is far from a sure sign that you are safe to visit your 80 year old dad. This is the reason that all close contact (even with a negative test result) may be placed in self quarantine.

42 minutes ago, 2flit said:

The take away is that a day-3 negative is far from a sure sign that you are safe to visit your 80 year old dad. This is the reason that all close contact (even with a negative test result) may be placed in self quarantine.

Yes, but the background is that I visited Burnsco the day before the positive case. The only symptoms me and my partner had could be at best described as very very mild hay fever. We weren't even a casual contact of a confirmed case. Hadn't crossed paths with a casual contact. Nothing. The only reason I phoned Healthline in the first place was the media stated a positive was at Burnsco last weekend. I phoned to see what day... and it grew arms and legs from there.

An abundance of caution. 

• Upvote 1

If there is a lockdown in December/ Feb i think I will do the same as Fogg. Was loaded ready to go at the beginning of the first nation wide lockdown. Unloaded boat and did the right thing.

Don't think I will do it again. 

51 minutes ago, It Got said:

It's not hard to guess who put a extra serving of snarky onto their morning weeties :)

Just stating a fact KM, it takes all of 3 min to get your results. But of course if you do take some sort of personal responsibility and get your results, then you can't bitch about how hopeless the system is, ay?

PS, don't touch weeties, there is more energy in the milk that goes on them than the actual product, not to mention the tax dodging outfit that makes them.

On 24/10/2020 at 12:37 PM, aardvarkash10 said:

Like the language of boats (why is a rope a sheet - its not flat, white and on the bed), the language of science can sometimes seem non-sensical.  Its not meant to make sense to a non-scientist.  

Its a rum thing.  Or is that rumb?  

Not wanting to sound too anal but....

most of our nautical terms are from old Norse (vikings) or Dutch.  A scete was the name of a sail and old English had it as SceteLine.  It was shortened to Scete and then shifted to Shete in old English (the same way Skiff and skirt from Dutch/Norse Shifted to ship and shirt)  

I don’t know about Rhumb but the Rh at the start looks Latin  

Halyard is easier.  It’s Rnhlish from Haul Yard.

I just thought You’d like to know.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
49 minutes ago, Addem said:

Not wanting to sound too anal but....

most of our nautical terms are from old Norse (vikings) or Dutch.  A scete was the name of a sail and old English had it as SceteLine.  It was shortened to Scete and then shifted to Shete in old English (the same way Skiff and skirt from Dutch/Norse Shifted to ship and shirt)  

I don’t know about Rhumb but the Rh at the start looks Latin  

Halyard is easier.  It’s Rnhlish from Haul Yard.

I just thought You’d like to know.

Addem - well done and thank you for posting a refreshing dose of well-educated insight. Please stick around and post here more frequently! 😊

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1