+ve Burnsco Gulf Harbour

Like the Dutch designed "schooners" that revolutionized modern sailing . . 

(large craft that could sail to weather like demons) 

"early 18th century: perhaps from dialect scun ‘skim along’, influenced by Dutch words . . " 

As I recall from a year or so ago, one of ya had a young 'un who was researching that in The Netherlands. 

How about an update ?  

CAPTAIN'S LOG: 25th Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race of 2014 – A story of  the "new" schooners…

3 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

"early 18th century: perhaps from dialect scun ‘skim along’, influenced by Dutch words . . " 

As I recall from a year or so ago, one of ya had a young 'un who was researching that in The Netherlands. 

How about an update ?  

CAPTAIN'S LOG: 25th Great Chesapeake Bay Schooner Race of 2014 – A story of  the "new" schooners…

What about the boat on the left.......it looks very much like my avatar......the Pride of Baltimore II.

3 hours ago, It Got said:

No you are not stating a fact or anything like fact, you are only making assumptions and they are wrong.

For a start the calls take over 10min every time, this I know as I've made well over 20 of them probably closer to 30 of them, something you would have known if only you'd asked rather than launching straight into assumptions. Also not to my GP as he retired over 5 years ago so I don't have one, something you would have known if only you'd asked rather than launching straight into assumptions.

Need I continue ;)

Agree on the dodgy tax dodges. If region paid taxes just think of the good it could do rather than it's current helping sustain so much harm.

Facepalm!

I give up. You are right. I am wrong. 

There is no way I can compete with your superior logic...

Even if 10 min is shorter than 2 months, or 3 weeks.

6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

How about an update ?  

Best I can tell, schooner is an Americanism from 18th century to describe the fast ships that race around Cape Horn from east to west. 

there are lots of words in Dutch german and English that appear to be cognate with it, most notably the scot word ‘Scon’ “ to skip like stone”. But the best sources think it’s Most likely to have been derived from slang. It is first attested in New England literature. 

the Dutch word Schoener is confirmed as having been picked up from English so that is not the origin. 

nobody knows why the glass of beer is called a schooner but everyone accepts it’s a fine idea somewhat more sensible than the yard glass. 

I think this is very definitely thread drift as I know nothing sensible about COVID. 

The Pride of Balmer (as the city is pronounced by locals) 2.0 (first one sunk tragically) 

is very well sailed - she took part in a War of 1812 re-enactment of which I played a small part. 

Here is a photo I took of her under sail. Like the Chasseur after which she is patterned, she is faster than she looks. 

(I am also sorry for the thread drift . . . sort of . . a little bit) 

Confessions of a Repentant War of 1812 Reenactor - OtherWords

11 hours ago, Addem said:

I think this is very definitely thread drift as I know nothing sensible about COVID. 

Well, no one else around here knows anything sensible about covid... 

Sounds like the Auckland maritime cluster is well contained, and it is a very pleasant thread drift. A nice alternative to KM and I trying to make sense of each other (or squable, as some may view it)

Please do keep the thread drift going :-)

AJO look what is in my workshop.

459348774_14Topsidespainted.thumb.jpg.d118d844cc47536c742dbb142e723032.jpg

A 1:24 scale radio controlled version of her, complete with twin drives with feathering propellers.

377179610_43Drives.thumb.jpg.cabe4301c179877874a6f569209865d3.jpg

Even the steering wheel works.

651052337_42Steering.thumb.jpg.90f7f6ef51b296e0d6de49b88b81b641.jpg

The rigging is fun there will be 170 metres of running rigging heres the test rig to sort out the sheeting systems.

1958866383_ATestRig.thumb.jpg.b4707c90e316db1fbd56aee7eabfe493.jpg

• Upvote 3
10 minutes ago, KM... said:

Not so much a squabble just a demonstration on

Well I've always looked at it as an intellectual game of chess, a reasoned debate and something that I enjoy, and thats not just because I'm always right ;-)

Its just that I think to others it may look like you and I are squabbling...

I hate to think how you have managed to upset your bank.

6 hours ago, AJ Oliver said:

The Pride of Balmer (as the city is pronounced by locals) 2.0 (first one sunk tragically) 

is very well sailed - she took part in a War of 1812 re-enactment of which I played a small part. 

Here is a photo I took of her under sail. Like the Chasseur after which she is patterned, she is faster than she looks. 

(I am also sorry for the thread drift . . . sort of . . a little bit) 

Confessions of a Repentant War of 1812 Reenactor - OtherWords

I get the fact that USAeans are a proud bunch, but that big flappy thing at the back must hurt up wind, not to mention rattling the dags of ship and crew?

You do make it hard for yourself KM.

I had a mate who's father used to inseminate his own herd. Apparently dairy farming is very hard work.

I always found it odd, how there would be a line of heifers coming out of the master bedroom though. I'm not sure if he was doing it quite right?

6 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

AJO look what is in my workshop.

that is a true work of art - yes, how about a new thread for it? 

I'd sign up to crew except for being too grandiose - 6'3" and 210 Imperial pounds of left wing fightin' fury. 

The story of the original Chasseur  - - 

"One of the most famous of the American privateers, Captain Thomas Boyle sailed Chasseur out of Baltimore's waterfront historic neighborhood of Fells Point, where she had been launched from Thomas Kemp's shipyard in 1812. On his first voyage as master of Chasseur in 1814, Boyle sailed east to the British Isles, where he harassed British shipping and sent a notice to King George III by way of a captured merchant vessel declaring that the entire British Isles were under naval blockade by Chasseur alone. Despite its implausibility, this boast caused the British Admiralty to recall many warships of the Royal Navy back to the home waters from the Napoleonic Wars in Europe and more intense real blockade on the American east coast to guard merchant shipping in convoys." 

Actually the Brits captured far more US ships than the US privateers did - and they decisively won the 1812 war at sea. All US ports were blockaded by the end of the war. They don't teach us that in school !!

What better reason could there be for joining Vets For Peace ? 

Here I am re-enacting the War of 1812 sailors being drunk all the time . . . !! 

(Silly period costumes courtesy of the US National Park Service) 

1812-9 (1).jpg

Go for it KM.The snowflakes deserve that. I've got similar stupidity going on at the moment.I'll take your line I think.Where theres a traceable trail they already have the info they need. Gross invasion of privacy but hey,thats what a minority of NZ voted for ...and they think they're a majority.!!!!!

11 hours ago, armchairadmiral said:

Go for it KM.The snowflakes deserve that. I've got similar stupidity going on at the moment.I'll take your line I think.Where theres a traceable trail they already have the info they need. Gross invasion of privacy but hey,thats what a minority of NZ voted for ...and they think they're a majority.!!!!!

Actually, its been in place snce the relevant Act of 2009.  A National Government was in power then, n'est pas?   Phase 2 (the more invasive bit that KM had his fun with) is carried out under 2017 legislation - again during the time that the low interference government who were commercially astute ran the country.

A requirement from the Septics in essence.  Of course, this is a nation that requires you to take your shoes off and have them inspected before you get on a plane, but you can carry a loaded semi-automatic weapon in public and dressed in full camo gear...

The love of theatre in the USA knows no bounds.

https://www.dia.govt.nz/AML-CFT-Legislation

• Upvote 1