Best budget keelboat racing around? Piedy?

A bit of a tangent off the current Coastal Classic 2020 discussion going on.

What's at the opposite end of the bankroll from the big boys who actually got a boat home in the CC this year? I've sold the D28 and am missing my crew, the progress we were making, and those summer evenings on the water. I had a serious look at the Y88 class which has a lot going for it but is another step up in price. If I sacrifice the cruising side what's the most race fun we can have on the smallest possible budget?

Requirements:

• Ideal crew 3 - 4?
  • Budget price, low ongoing costs to keep mid fleet race boat going.
  • Kiwi DIY friendly for repairs etc. i.e. not a carbon fibre monster I can't touch.
  • Active fleet to race / compare against / learn from.
  • Mix of racing styles, short form, longer events, short handed etc.

Pied Piper seems like the most obvious contender, especially since we're based on the North Shore in Auckland. Anything else I'm missing?

Are there any active trailer sailor classes around? Will one of the smaller Elliot boats fit the bill?

Not Keelboats but the 8.5's seem to have the best bang for buck, multi use racing around fro  what I can see (don't own one but want to one day)

Sport TY's and Sportboats seem to be getting out sailing a bit now.

Looking at entries R930's have been dieing away as a (modified) class. 

R780's had a few boats at Aviemore.

Noelex 22's do a bit of sailing but wouldn't think they would be anygood for a CC or the like.

Or Piedy's.

26 minutes ago, TazzyDevil said:

R780's had a few boats at Aviemore.

Probably the best all round bang for buck for what you want . We have one at our club that outpoints and outsails everything in the light to medium breeze upwind and that’s two handed . If it had a full crew and some turbo tweaks it would be even quicker . Plus they are campable .

other good option is an SR26....there’s one on trademe with a disco ball

Bang for buck the 930 is hard to beat at the moment.

Will take you her and the kids anywhere for a holiday and later take your mates racing, with some success too. 

Everything is still pretty small on them so pretty low budget to maintain.

Either a 930 or a y88 would be a big step up from the d28. While the y88s on trademe at the moment do look pricey, 6 months ago there were a few you'd have owned for sub 30k so I guess it's just a question of what's around at the time. Something like bondi tram (on trademe at the moment) seems well worth a look. Way more boat than a piedy.

Piedys definitely in there at the moment with class racing with fleets of 6-12 out of Milford and larger groups doing SSANZ and Auckland Regatta.

Elliott 5.9s also very strong and have been for years but it's a different magnitude of serious.  Expect most club racers would look pretty ordinary if they put themselves in that group.

Have also heard Reactors do a bit of racing run at association level pretty much under almost everyone's radar but regular fleets of half a dozen or so.

If south of Auckland, accepted there is anything between the bombays and Antarctica, can't go past the Noelex 25s and 22s, their are groups racing on most lakes and trailer clubs.

and not sure how much regular racing there is and if any in the Auckland area, but Hartley 16 nationals seem to get good numbers and think the  quality of sailing ranges from respectable through to beginner so interesting for most people and I'd assume light on the pockets, well as light as you could hope anyway.

Not many of those keel boats sorry, plenty of other options if class racing isn't the big requirement, Trackers, Ravens, Lotus etc.

Sounds like there are a few more options outside of Auckland where there's too much money sitting around! Good on the them but I need to buy a house too.

I'm going to talk to a couple of people about a possible syndicate and see what comes up. Lots of good thoughts here from the truly budget through to the Y88, 930's etc which are a step up in price but a lot more boat. Thanks.

I wouldn't go for a 'name' boat, but a one off that has good attributes for what you want. By definition, name boats are better recognized and have higher resale value, esp the one designs like Y88 etc. The best keeler racing around is in handicap fleets anyway, and it sounds like you want to tweek and learn.

Agree there are a couple of SR 26's around that offer good value for money for racing.

Here is two examples of one off boats that are good value for money for racing. (I've no affiliation)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/2660231020?bof=zUHlxgni

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/yachts/keeler/listing/2227821892?bof=zUHlxgni

But to be honest, I think owning a boat is completely incompatible with buying a house...

You could get a regular crew spot on someone else's boat and have a lot of fun racing without the cost.

Rocky has to be great value (read “or near offer“ he’s bought another.)

If cost of ownership is an issue then get someone to go halves or thirds ?

• Upvote 1

OK so  call us biased but if you want best use of your asset then get together a syndicate of three or four like minded sailors (that is race vs cruise mentality), buy an 88 and race and cruise the hell out of it. Or buy into a syndicate like Heartlight currently on TradeMe

We have a templated syndicate agreement, and real examples of high, med and low annual budgets available if you want to understand the real cost to own. Plus there are loads of people on the committee who can help with advice.

image.thumb.png.27c72187fec9330f5a5f0ea108a8f9d2.png

Failing that get Booboo on the rums then negotiate to buy Rocky :)Feel free to PM us or get in touch via the contacts on the web site https://www.young88.org.nz/about/committee/

Good luck with the search

Mike

2 hours ago, KM... said:

This one is also being sold by another rich prick with more boats than he knows what to do with ;) so it's price is most likely open to arm twisting as well.

I haven't been close to the boat for a while but I know the owner is anal so it will be set up well with good gear. 

How many boats do you own KM, not counting dinghie's? Just curious (not having a dig, there just seems to be a prevalence of multiple boat owning people about all of a sudden.

3 hours ago, Fish said:

How many boats do you own KM, not counting dinghie's? Just curious (not having a dig, there just seems to be a prevalence of multiple boat owning people about all of a sudden.

What are you classifying as a dinghy? Any open boat? In that case, dunno about KM but I’ve got no boats...

There are some cool boats coming up here. But I think I’d be looking for something at least 26ft waterline. Preferably longer. Every so often I see a one off or a good Nz boat on trademe, all set up with a ton of flash sails and all at a pretty sharp price. 

Where’s Eliphunk at? Nearly ready to go again?

21 hours ago, KM... said:

I have 3 motorbikes more than I have boats, not counting dingys

I have 3 more beefs running around the farm than I have motorbikes.

I have 38 more dairy ladies on the farm than I have beefs.

I have 14 more meters in my Cat 1 primary anchor warp than I have than the total number dairy ladies.

How many boats have I got?

My 7 1/2 yr old says you have 2 boats and 5 motorbikes. And that you are a bit silly (I promised I didn't get her to say that ;-) )

She was off school today, and needed a math problem to do...

That is all based on a 60 m anchor warp. I am assuming you are tight and even though you have anchor warp up the wazzo at work, you have gone bare minimum on your boat.